PDA

View Full Version : New Olhausen or used Gold Crown?!?!?

caltiki
07-22-2004, 09:07 PM
OK, I know about opinions and certain parts of the anatomy, but I need some fast (opinions, that is).

I'm looking at a new Olhausen Augusta (8-foot) and a late 1980's Gold Crown III (8-foot pro). The GC III is a home unit in excellent condition, and comes with a bunch of quality stuff (cues, balls, light, etc.) With moving, setup and new cloth, though, the price is almost the same as the new Olhausen, installed complete with a decent package. On one hand, I'm tempted by the Gold Crown, due to it being a "pro" table and all the supposed advantages (and, let's be honest, because of the "name"). On the other hand, I'm not a "pro", both tables play about the same (to me), and the Olhausen would look better in the room where it's going (and, let's be honest, part of me thinks it's stupid to pay for a "name" on a used table when I can get a good new table for the same money).

So, a dilemma - what do you think? Any thoughts or advice from you guys (sage or otherwise) will be gratefully received. Thanks in advance!

pooltchr
07-23-2004, 05:49 AM
Both are good quality tables. I think I would go with the one you like. (If there is a significant female in your life, forget the above advise, and go with whatever SHE likes!)

Frank_Glenn
07-23-2004, 08:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> Both are good quality tables. I think I would go with the one you like. (If there is a significant female in your life, forget the above advise, and go with whatever SHE likes!) <hr /></blockquote>

Good advice. If "she" is happy, everyone's happy.

BooBoo
07-24-2004, 07:52 AM
Went to the Olhausen site and could not find the Augusta model. This could be a new table but not a current model. If that is the case, maybe the dealer could make the price a little more attractive. Never hurts to try. Good luck with your choice.

woody_968
07-24-2004, 08:12 AM
As has been said, they are both nice tables. Sounds like you like the Olhausen better, so get that one.

tateuts
07-24-2004, 10:53 AM
I once showed my wife a Gold Crown. She said "You want to put that thing in our house?". We have a nice Olhausen now.

Chris

Harold Acosta
07-24-2004, 10:54 AM
Gold Crown III, in excellent condition, by your own account?

Then there should be no question about it. I would go with the Gold Crown III.

If for some reason you should have to get rid of it later on, the GC III should have a better resale value.

<font color="blue">Billiards: A passionate sport for the mind and soul!</font color>
http://www.thebilliardstour.com/images/animated-stars.gif

woody_968
07-24-2004, 11:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tateuts:</font><hr> I once showed my wife a Gold Crown. She said "You want to put that thing in our house?". We have a nice Olhausen now.

Chris <hr /></blockquote>

Funny how those that dont play pool cant see the beauty of the Gold Crowns /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

caltiki
07-27-2004, 11:22 AM
Well, we decided to pass on the Gold Crown in favor of the Olhausen. And yeah, the decision was based on looks. I think the comment on resale value was spot on, but oh well - just couldn't make dark mahogany work with the light oak trim in the room. Based on this experience, I now feel qualified to consult for "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy" (well, only partly qualified).

So, if anybody is interested in a good 8-foot Gold Crown (no ball return) in the Seattle area, let me know and I'll pass along the contact information.

highsea
07-27-2004, 12:26 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote caltiki:</font><hr> So, if anybody is interested in a good 8-foot Gold Crown (no ball return) in the Seattle area, let me know and I'll pass along the contact information.<hr /></blockquote>
Can you PM me with that info and the price they were asking?

Thanks.

catscradle
07-27-2004, 12:38 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote caltiki:</font><hr> ... - just couldn't make dark mahogany work with the light oak trim in the room. ...
<hr /></blockquote>

Now if you were putting your table in a nice concrete "bunker" in the basement like me you wouldn't have had to worry about that consideration. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif