PDA

View Full Version : bored with practice

shark
07-22-2004, 09:45 PM
I moved to a rural area about 20 yrs. ago, no poolhalls within about 90 miles. I have recently purchased a G.C.11 and am getting bored with practice. Can anyone enlighten me on some ways to keep it a little more interesting? thanx

Chris Cass
07-23-2004, 12:19 AM
Hi Shark,

I would mix it up. Try some Q-Skill but add 2 ten rack scores to it and throw out the highest and the lowest scores then, work on the stuff your needing help in. That'll show in your play. Then, after the corrections are worked out then try it again later.

Maybe, Fargo pool simular and is fun but on a smaller scale.

Maybe, play the ghost. Target Pool, or invest in the "Billiards Workbook"? Black Belt Billiards Book?

I would find a tourney that you'd be able to travel to once or twice a year to compete to get that all around play. Find someone in your area with the want to play. That you need and you can always get a trick shot video and try to set up and make all the shots.

There's tons of things you can do. I advise competeing every now and then. It's important if your goals are to get really good.

Regards,

C.C.

Wally_in_Cincy
07-23-2004, 06:33 AM
or play 14.1 by yourself, trying to exceed your previous high run.

works for me.

PQQLK9
07-23-2004, 06:59 AM
Hey Shark,I guess moving is out of the question since you have been there 20 years, but if you open your own pool room you would not have any competition for 90 miles /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif.
If it is a conservative community try a name like "Family Billiards" (family is good) /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
As far as practice you might want to try some of those balls with pictures of women on them. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Damm I feel silly this morning....

Chris Cass
07-23-2004, 07:12 AM
Yes,

Another good one. I think as long as he mixes it up the bordom becomes less but if he charts his progress and makes a goal orientated game of it? He'll get the drive necessary to go for long periods of time.

C.C.~~good point Wally.

pooltchr
07-23-2004, 08:15 AM
Maybe finding a female practice partner that will be willing to play strip pool might help too!

bluewolf
07-23-2004, 08:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote shark:</font><hr> I moved to a rural area about 20 yrs. ago, no poolhalls within about 90 miles. I have recently purchased a G.C.11 and am getting bored with practice. Can anyone enlighten me on some ways to keep it a little more interesting? thanx <hr /></blockquote>

Actually, we just moved to a rural area too, where there was this shed that would hold a 9ft. I used to be like you, get bored with practice. Now, if I can practice for an hour, two hours straight, I consider it a gift.

But I do do this. When I am practicing with good concentration and the best technique I can do, I keep practicing. Once I get to the point, either physically or mentally, that my concentration is not good, the slop play begins. Then I stop, because playing sloppy will not help my game, and in fact, it would probably make it worse.

As far as specific types of practice, you have heard that from others.

Laura

GeorgeV
07-23-2004, 10:10 AM
I play mostly at home (on my new Brunswick Gibson 9 ft-er, w/Simonis, double-shimmed pockets), but I compete in tournaments once a week coz I know I need the competition to really improve my game. I'm 49. Just got back into the game several months ago after a 30-yr absence.

I get bored with practice, too. It gets me out of the rhythm of moving from one shot to another. Breaks my concentration. Not sure what to practice either. I just ordered Black Belt Billiards to get some ideas for good drills. Maybe there will be some to keep it interesting.

I'm responding here, tho, because of your reference to the Q-Skill drills. Got a question: do you think the scoring guidelines that identify your skill level have much validity? For 100 games:

0-300:
301-600: Recreational Player
601-900: Intermediate Player
901-1200: Advanced Player
1201-1600: Developing Pro/Semi-Pro
1601-1800: Pro/Touring Pro
1801-2000:

(For those not familiar with it: break a 9-ball rack, take ball in hand, score 2 pts for each ball made. Miss, take ball in hand a second time, score 1 pt for each ball made. 9-ball counts for 2 pts if done on first inning; 1 pt if done on second inning; deduct pt for fouls/scratches or 2 pts for ball leaving table). Max score is 20 pts per game.

Seems to me that scoring only 901 pts to be ranked as an "Advanced Player" is terribly low. That's an average of only 9.01 pts per game. (And 3 of those pts are a given, since you have ball in hand twice.) I did the drill for the first time yesterday, with a score of 1,083 (being really nit-picky not to cheat), and thought I played terrible! Gotta say, tho, that it really helped me concentrate and play seriously, rather than just goofing around as I usually do. I'm sure that it'll help improve my game. Can't help wondering, tho, whether the scoreing guidelines have any merit.

What do you think? Anybody else familiar with Q-Skill?

bluewolf
07-23-2004, 10:32 AM
Sounds low to me too. Maybe fargo is better because you have all 15 balls to deal with. And once you miss you end that inning of points.

Laura

Rod
07-23-2004, 11:14 AM
The way I slice it and dice it goes like this. Exceeding your high run is always good, good point Wally. Let me add something to that. It can be any game, 14-1, QSkill, Fargo, the ghost, etc. From my perspective though, I think it's better to work on consistency. Meaning to up your normal run. If it's say 10 in 14-1 then your goal is up it to say 13. Then set a higher standard at 15, 18, etc. Once you find yourself going through the first rack apply the same effort in the second. It's a snow ball effect, you get use to a higher standard. In practice make your goal running X amount of balls rather than thinking of going for a high run. The high run is just a benefit of your improved consistency. This will bleed over to your normal play. Winning games is not really about high runs, it's making the average runs more consistent. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. LOL

Rod

Tom_In_Cincy
07-23-2004, 11:17 AM
Hey George,

I've seen you play, and your score indicated to me that there is some validity to the ranges.

Usually we are our own worst critic.

You are still close to being in the intermediate range, but can play well enough to be in the advanced area also.
I would guess that you had some 20s along with some single digit games.

Overall I tend to agree with this skill level ranges, but like most tournament games, there are opportunities for 9 ball combos that you would take (creating a less than 20 count for this skill level test) and also times you would play a good safe rather than trying to make a very difficult shot to get out. These shots selections are, IMO, skills that are left out of this drill.

Good to see ya posting here and always a pleasure seeing you at Hard Times, grinding out those matches.

Tom_In_Cincy
07-23-2004, 11:28 AM
Good advice Rod,

Wally and I have played a few games of 14.1 and I know he has improved since then.

Having a practice partner is one of the best things that ever happened to my game. I must have added a ball, maybe two to my game, when I spent time with a practice partner.

Setting up drills is a lot of walking and cue stick control (moving balls around the table with your cue). Neither good for the practice session. But when you have a partner, it is much quicker to set up the shots and IMO, you get a better feel for the shot. You can quickly get the feed back for subtle changes in your aim, stroke and results. All, IMO, help your game.

Solitare practice has to have some type of reward to be interesting. Setting up a reward process shouldn't be that difficult.

I use to reward my practice efforts with a tournament. If I practiced well, I got to play, if I didn't practice or was not satisfied with my drills, I wouldn't allow myself the pleasure of a tournament. Of course you have to have some descipline.

How can anyone get bored playing pool?

Wally_in_Cincy
07-23-2004, 11:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> ...up your normal run....<hr /></blockquote>

Rod,

You did a fine job of extrapolating and expanding my original point and as usual you are right on target.

BTW and off-topic, I played a match in the "schlep division" playoffs of the Cincy Straight Pool League Tuesday. I could not get a decent shot from my opponent's misses and I could not get any kind of runs going. I think 8 was my highest run but I ran them when the score was 99-92, giving me a 100-99 win. Opponent wasn't happy.

Tom_In_Cincy
07-23-2004, 11:33 AM
Congrats Wally,

I've had 2 matches that went 100-99, won only one of them.

Tom &lt;----'Schlep' division member at one time.

Wally_in_Cincy
07-23-2004, 11:38 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> Good advice Rod,

Wally and I have played a few games of 14.1 and I know he has improved since then.
<hr /></blockquote>

You're kidding right? LOL

My safety game has improved. My shooting is ok but my cue ball control is still lame. It has gotten better since I have been paying more attention to the 30 and 90 degree rules.

I played CSPL John a bit Wednesday after I tortured Keith Ross in a match (Keith gave up early) and John only beat me 53-45. Before we played I said I need a spot. John said "I'll break" LOL

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr>How can anyone get bored playing pool? <hr /></blockquote>

not me /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rod
07-23-2004, 11:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Solitare practice has to have some type of reward to be interesting. Setting up a reward process shouldn't be that difficult.
<hr /></blockquote>

Tom, I wonder what type of reward Wally would choose? /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Setting up drills is a lot of walking and cue stick control (moving balls around the table with your cue). Neither good for the practice session. But when you have a partner, it is much quicker to set up the shots and IMO, you get a better feel for the shot. You can quickly get the feed back for subtle changes in your aim, stroke and results. All, IMO, help your game.

<hr /></blockquote>

On the other hand, you'll know not to make the same mistakes. I do agree though, a partner has it's benefits.

Rod

Wally_in_Cincy
07-23-2004, 12:06 PM
START(
%AN7O5%BL7P8%CE1I1%DH4O2%EM7P1%FG7Y4%GK6N8%HM7N8%I L7O4%JK6M5
%KJ5O8%LJ5N2%MK6Q4%NK8P0%OJ5M0%Pp0Q8%QB3[5%UD2D7%VD8G7%WD5Z5
%XF5Y8%[I7Y4%\n2R1%]D7X8%^H0P1
)END

http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/pooltable2.html

At 99-92 Noel played an ill-advised safety. I played a stop-shot on the 6, a stop-shot on the 3. When I pocketed the 4 in pocket A the pack spread wide and I had shots all over the place.

sorry shark for hijacking the thread

Rod
07-23-2004, 12:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think 8 was my highest run but I ran them when the score was 99-92, giving me a 100-99 win. Opponent wasn't happy. <hr /></blockquote>

Not off topic Wally, you needed 8 balls to win, so you did it. Just think back when 8 balls was out of your limits. I've had those kind of games, there not real fun but winning by a small margin is still a win. Doing what you need to do is a satisfaction.

Now about that reward, Tom mentioned. http://rkp.ice.hr/cesko/pics/anna0017.jpg LOL

Rod

Wally_in_Cincy
07-23-2004, 12:14 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> ...Now about that reward, Tom mentioned. http://rkp.ice.hr/cesko/pics/anna0017.jpg LOL

Rod <hr /></blockquote>

Oh my !

I actually beat the guy with good safety play. He was a decent shot and has better CB control than me.

kenz54
07-23-2004, 05:56 PM
Can she be my shooting partner? lol /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

crawdaddio
07-23-2004, 06:21 PM
[quote wally]
I don't want a pickle, I just wanna ride my motor-sickle <hr /></blockquote>

" No, and I don't wanna die, just wanna ride my ......."

great song.....

GeorgeV
07-26-2004, 10:17 AM
Thanks, Tom. My track record lately at your tournaments seems to be 2 wins/2 losses each week. (Of course, that's determined big-time by whom you match me up with -- and in what order!). Since I otherwise play mostly alone at home, that competition is helping, and I really enjoy it even when I play like crap. I could use more competition, tho, to help me relax and play closer to how I play when I practice; just need to find the time to do it.

Regarding the Q-Skills drills, they're the best I've seen to help me stay focussed during practice. I thought it was funny that you wrote that I probably had a number of 20's as well as single digits, coz you were right on! Some 10-game sessions were awesome (with 3 or 4 20's), and some were downright dreadful (with more than a handful of 8's and 9's, and even some 4's and 5's!). I plan to keep doing them at least a couple of times a week. Just having a way to quantify progress makes it interesting and useful. I don't have much faith in the scoring guidelines (i.e. what makes someone an Advanced player or whatever), but that's okay. The whole point is to see progress and to give myself some goals.

BTW -- I cleaned my cloth using the Quick-Clean I got from you yesterday. Worked great!
/ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

shark
07-26-2004, 04:58 PM
Thanks everyone for the input. The balls with the girls on them seemed like a possibility but I'm afraid my wife would have mine on the mantle. I've tried getting a partner but most everyone up here is your basic bar table 8 ball player, I'm not trying to brag but I like to play somebody as good or better than me (makes me focus better). I like George V's 9 ball point game I'm deffinately going to try that and drills to work on my weak points. Thanks again everyone. and thank God for this site, I can talk seriously about pool without people looking at me like I'm from another planet. If any of you are traveling through north-eastern Ca. (Hootersville) and want to stop and shoot a few games let me know (on this site).