PDA

View Full Version : sniper tips to reduce deflection?

drawshot
07-23-2004, 08:39 AM
Sniper tips are advertised to reduce deflection...
Is this true? What exactly makes a tip give more or
less deflection?

Wally_in_Cincy
07-23-2004, 08:44 AM
sounds like snake oil to me

RedHell
07-23-2004, 08:48 AM
If I recall the Jacksonville experiment correctly, you can only reduce deflection by reducing the mass at the end of the shaft. I seriously doubt that a tip's mass, even if you reduce it, could influence enough the deflection to be noticeable...

How does Sniper explains it ? Or they don't !!!

I think this is just BS !

Bob_Jewett
07-23-2004, 10:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote RedHell:</font><hr> If I recall the Jacksonville experiment correctly, you can only reduce deflection by reducing the mass at the end of the shaft. <hr /></blockquote>
Actually, the Jacksonville video just suggested the mechanism that seems to cause squirt, and later analysis, mainly by Ron Shepard, suggests that end mass is the most important controllable variable. I think that stiffness is the main part of the squirt story that still isn't understood well. There should be some effect from stiffness that influences how much of the end of the shaft pushes the cue ball to the side, but the details of that effect haven't been worked out.

A tip shouldn't have a large effect on squirt according to the current theory, but I haven't seen tests that say one way or the other. Are there details in the claim? One way that a tip could have a large effect on squirt was if it was made of two layers with roller bearings between. Of course, this is not practical at first glance, but maybe with some other mechanism.... My understanding of one of the Meucci designs is that the ferrule sort of shimmies to the side during the shot so that forward force can still be applied, which gives the cue ball its speed and spin, but the sideways force is reduced, thereby reducing squirt. Perhaps some very clever person has figured out how to do this in a tip, but I'd have to see it to believe it.

rocky
07-23-2004, 11:38 AM
On the web sight it says, "the least deflection a cue tip can produce". Since a tip has very little or nothing to do with deflection it really has no bearing on the quality of the tip.
ps... I do have a sniper tip on one of my shafts and it does play well, I prefer talisman, or moori.
Rocky

RedHell
07-23-2004, 12:40 PM
I knew Bob would jump in and clarify my mind. But all in all this was what I meant.

Rocky,

I have 2 pred 314, one on a sniper (my wife's) and one with Talisman med. I can't tell the difference, deflection wise...