PDA

View Full Version : My Friends, I need Help!!!!!!

cueball1950
07-23-2004, 10:50 PM
As everybody on here knows by now, i have given up smoking. Which is great, But the down side is that i have gained so much weight. i recently got on a scale and to my utter surprise i am now at 289.6 lbs.(digital scale). This is way to heavy for me. I am looking for suggestions on how to lose some of this weight. With my underlying problems,long walks and strenious exercise is not advisable by my Dr's. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.............mike

ras314
07-24-2004, 06:36 AM
Oddly I haven't gained weight since I quit. Probably because I was too heavy to start with. At 200 lbs I ought to lose 20 to 30 lb.

Anyway for exercise I've started riding a bicycle since hip problems won't let me walk much and running is out of the question. Lately added a heart monitor mostly to get an idea how much exercise I getting. I would rather swim but water is a bit scarce around here.

Only diet I know of that works is simply to quit eating. Ain't too good an idea.

Rich R.
07-24-2004, 07:27 AM
Mike, I can't say that I have been too successful in this area myself, but, believe it or not, I have done my share of weight loss.
Ok, I've done my share of weight gain too. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

The whole key is a combination of diet and exercise. There are a multitude of diet plans out there and I guess they all work to some extent. The current, most popular plan seems to be the "South Beach Diet", which is a modified version of the "Atkins Diet".

IMHO, none of the diets will work really well, without exercise. I'm sure your doctor is very happy that you quit smoking. Discuss with him/her, what exercises you are capable of doing, without doing harm to yourself. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sid_Vicious
07-24-2004, 08:21 AM
This sounds simple I know, but what you must do is change the way you eat. Chew 20-30 times and taste all of what's in your mouth before swallowing, and always leave something on your plate. Yea my mother taught me about the starving kids in the world, "Clean your plate!", but she was wrong.

Try those two things, take a 5 minute break after finishing, ask yourself, "Am I really still hungry?" or "Am I eating for because I'm hungry, or eating out of boredom, depression or nervousness."

It's your actual eating habit, the way you eat, that needs changing. It'll work, and even without a lot of exercise...sid

Don't forget, and always leave something on your plate. Also, skip all you can eat buffets. sv

Ross
07-24-2004, 10:17 AM
I don't want to sound like a "follow the fad" person, but I think you might consider one of the low carb diets. For most people it really kick starts weight loss and is easier to stay on than most diets since it seems to reduce the craving for food. My colleague at work was worrying about his weight (he was about 240 at 5' 8") went on it around 5 or 6 weeks ago and has lost 17 lbs so far. And several recent large medical studies have found that contrary to predictions, low carb diets improved dieters cholesterol levels. They also found that blood-sugar levels were better controlled for the low-carb'ers than for traditional dieters. This is important because controlling blood sugar helps prevent you from develeping diabetes. Anyway, its worth thinking about as a way to get to a healthier weight. JMHO.

Chris Cass
07-24-2004, 11:30 AM
Hi Mike,

I think the weight gain might not be totally from quiting smoking. Stress has many effects and weight gain is one of them also. You've had your share of it too. Quiting might have added to it also. Your a very strong minded man with a strong will as I. I think your stronger than I am to tell you the truth.

However, you may concider and I know you might think I'm off the wall but I would try a weight loss or stress relief hypnosis tapes. They seem to have good results but only for a short time but it might be good enough. You could always return to them later so, the money isn't exactly wasted.

I would also cut out bread, and any form of meat. To me it's tough because of the love I have for Italian bread but, it does work. Also, cut out icecream and milk shakes if you consume them on a regular basis. Just till you drop what you need to feel good.

IMHO, weigh is inmaterial as to how healthy one feels. Being as small as I am now I feel really weak and not good. So many friends tell me they could give me weight and wish they were skinny. It's not what they want imho. You want to feel healthy is all. I don't care if someone is 30lbs over what the gov says you should be unless, it effects your heart or something. It should go by how you feel inside. I feel like crap but, when I was 15 lbs overweight, I felt pretty good. Mentally, I didn't but physically, I did. That's what really matters, the physical part.

Regards,

C.C.~~your friend and don't mean to be imposing.

Cueless Joey
07-24-2004, 12:04 PM
Fit For Life is big on not having breakfast.
Most don't need it. That old line breakfast is your most important meal was probably started by Denny's.
What we eat at night gets stored at glucose. You don't burn that glucose, it becomes fat. If you do eat breakfast, eat fruits only. No starch or oil.
I have not been eating breakfast for two years and I don't miss it one bit.

Popcorn
07-24-2004, 06:05 PM
What do your Doctors say? One of the big problems with Doctors is they are afraid of alianating a patient so they don't say things that may offend. It is almost malpractice in my opinion for them to let a patient get that big without intervening. It seems all they do is politely say "You should lose some weight" instead of treating it as the major health risk it is. Go to your doctor and demand you be put under treatment for obesity. Get with a good nutritionist and work out a plan to end this and you don't start tomorrow or next week, you start now immediately as you are reading this post. If you have a bunch of crap in the house, ice cream or what ever, I don't care what you paid for it throw it out. If you can't do it have someone do it for you and don't even let it in the house. This weight thing must become your priority way beyond wishful thinking. I will not wish you luck because it is completely within your own abilities to make it happen luck has nothing to do with it. I wish I was capable of articulating my belief in peoples ability to change their own lives,

Kato
07-25-2004, 10:49 AM
I've shed 20 pounds and 4% body fat since I quit 2 months ago Mike. Diet and working out is the key. Unfortunately what I do is between 3 and 4 miles of walking with heavy hands per day. I have a diet that I'm not going to get into because it's long.

Have you thought about swimming?

Kato

CarolNYC
07-26-2004, 03:27 AM
Mike,
I really dont have any advice on this-maybe talk with some kind of dietician or something-but hang in there-theres GOT to be a way! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Carol

SpiderMan
07-26-2004, 08:33 AM
Mike,

I don't know what drives your doctors to say no to walking and exercise, but if I assume the reasons are well-founded you are just going to have to change your eating habits. Every pound we add enters our bodies through our mouths.

I've never been a believer in fad diets, or even little anecdotes about certain eating times being worse that others or whatever - I think it can all be simplified to a zero-sum game of calories consumed versus calories burned, the remainder becoming a loss or gain in weight. This seems to hold true for everyone (including myself) who has ever kept a really accurate log of everthing that passes their lips.

The trick is to select good nutritious foods that will also give you a good fill with fewest calories. For example, you can eat an entire can of stringbeans and it's only about 40 or 50 calories. Read labels, make a list of stuff that you can eat without penalty. Don't cheat, write it all down, get some help with the record-keeping if you need it.

If your exercise problem is partly due to the excess weight, then as the diet progresses you will gradually be able to walk further.

BTW, although I may have a reputation as a heavy eater, that is more or less a "sometimes" thing. In the long term, I am pretty careful about my eating and if I pick up a few pounds I cut back and lose them before it gets out of hand.

SpiderMan

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cueball1950:</font><hr> As everybody on here knows by now, i have given up smoking. Which is great, But the down side is that i have gained so much weight. i recently got on a scale and to my utter surprise i am now at 289.6 lbs.(digital scale). This is way to heavy for me. I am looking for suggestions on how to lose some of this weight. With my underlying problems,long walks and strenious exercise is not advisable by my Dr's. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.............mike <hr /></blockquote>

UWPoolGod
07-26-2004, 08:52 AM
I am back working out after a two month hiatus. In that time I played a lot of pool at the bar, whether it be league or tourneys, and skipped out on working out. It was way easier to skip dinner and plop to a McD's on the way home. Which is horrible right before bed, so I probably put on 15 lbs. So now I am back to what I was doing before. Kind of a modified Atkins...or maybe it is Atkins, I don't know. A can of Tuna Fish or chunk chicken is only a hundred calories or so if you eat it with Mustard, which amazingly has 0 calories. I love salads to so I'll have that for dinner. Instead of DoubleStuff Oreos for a snack, eat some fruit or celery. Of course my apartment complex has a decent gym I hit that every day. Mixture of weights/cardio. My biggest problem may be laying off the beer regiment. But when I was doing this for a few months I did not drink, or eat any breads. I could notice the change that was starting and that fueled it even more. Back to the grindstone.

rukiddingme
07-27-2004, 10:06 AM
Ok...I was really addicted to tobacco and I liked it. I think I was addicted before I smoked my 1st cigarette...both my parents smoked 3 packs a day. I smoked cigarettes, a good cigar and I liked to smoke the pipe too. Fortunately I never took on the habbit of chewing it. It took me 32 years to stop for good.
The first time I quit smoking I gained 40 lbs and a year later I started smoking again and never lost the weight. The second time I quit smoking (4 years ago) I put on 70 lbs. I had had an automobile accident and was in the hospital for 1 month and figured something good should come of this accident so I quit smoking and drinking. I was pretty badly injured and could not walk. I moved back to my parents house for 6 months ( that alone was stressful enough) watched TV and ATE. I could not stop eating. I was hungry all the time. Since then I have yo yo'ed for 4 years.
In February I was at my highest weight ever and decided to go on the South Beach Diet (a good carb good fat diet...not a low carb diet) and have lost 50lbs. I still have about 100 to go. This has been the most succesful eating plan for me.
Whatever you do DON"T SMOKE! Talk to your doctor. There may be something he can prescribe for you as well as advise you on a diet.
ruk

Eric.
07-27-2004, 10:30 AM
I'm sure everyone posted the same thing. The bottome line is proper diet and exercise.

You need a diet that is lower in Carbs and fats/sugars. Even though the Atkins thing says you can eat fats, it still doesn't hurt to cut down on the fried and fatty foods. Also, you need to calorie count a little. How many calories are you consuming on an average day? How much are you burning during workouts? Most people will burn around 1000 to 1300 calories a day just by being awake and sitting around. If you're not burning more than your taking in, you're not losing weight.

Try coming up with a diet, break it down into 4 meals a day(same amount of daily calories overall).

Find a Cardio workout you can do 3 times a week for 20 minutes continuosly. If you can run, use a stationary bike. A good one has a fan for resistance and gives you the added benefit of a breese to cool you off.

1.Basically, no fried foods, less fatty/oily stuff, less sugars, no Soda.

2.Do Cardio where it raises your heartrate and makes you sweat.

3.Start moderately and work up to your goal so you don't die on us. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Eric

catscradle
07-27-2004, 11:06 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> Fit For Life is big on not having breakfast.
Most don't need it. That old line breakfast is your most important meal was probably started by Denny's.
What we eat at night gets stored at glucose. You don't burn that glucose, it becomes fat. If you do eat breakfast, eat fruits only. No starch or oil.
I have not been eating breakfast for two years and I don't miss it one bit. <hr /></blockquote>

Adele Davis the nutritunous (long dead now, but she didn't die young) had a saying "Breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, dinner like a pauper." The key is "dinner like a pauper", if you have a big breakfast and a big lunch and a big dinner you will surely be overweight. It makes perfect sense to me we should have a big breakfast because following it we go out to engage in the most activity we do all day. What we don't need is the big dinner, following which we do very little.
IMHO Adelle Davis was right.

catscradle
07-27-2004, 11:12 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cueball1950:</font><hr> As everybody on here knows by now, i have given up smoking. Which is great, But the down side is that i have gained so much weight. i recently got on a scale and to my utter surprise i am now at 289.6 lbs.(digital scale). This is way to heavy for me. I am looking for suggestions on how to lose some of this weight. With my underlying problems,long walks and strenious exercise is not advisable by my Dr's. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.............mike <hr /></blockquote>

If you can't exercise your only alternative is to cut back eating. How about swimming, can you do that? If your problem is with the cardiovascular system I suppose not, but if it is joint problem that means you can't walk maybe you can swim. Will your Doc even let you engage in a moderate exercise program, every little bit helps. If you do have a cardiovascular problem, I would think with a properly managed exercise program you'd be able to work up to a level that would help control weight. Once you start talking 300 lbs IMO it can prove as dangerous as exercise.
Good luck.

woody_968
07-27-2004, 12:55 PM
Mike, its good to hear you are still not smoking, I am looking to quit (again) but do fear putting on weight.

I will be making a post in the near future about how I lost my weight. It may be a little lengthy, and other people may be interested, so I will make a new thread when I do. But I can tell you this, I didnt do any excercise out of the ordinary (walk when I playd golf, but I already did that), I didnt eat any special foods (I eat Mcdonalds every day) and I lost 60 lbs last year. My wife did the same thing, although she does eat more healthy than I do and she started working out towards the end of her weight loss, but she also lost about 60 lbs. First thing I can tell you is get the book 7 secrets of skinny people and read it. It sounds like BS but it has changed my life.

I will post in detail what I did as soon as I get the time to write a small book.

catscradle
07-28-2004, 08:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote woody_968:</font><hr> ... First thing I can tell you is get the book 7 secrets of skinny people and read it. It sounds like BS but it has changed my life.

I will post in detail what I did as soon as I get the time to write a small book. <hr /></blockquote>

This the one?

7 secrets of slim people on Amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0061013382/qid=1091027272/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-9555590-6236821?v=glance&amp;s=books)

woody_968
07-28-2004, 09:39 AM
Yup, thats the one. I also put a link for it in my other post on this board.

bluewolf
07-28-2004, 10:47 AM

Mike,

Rigorous exercise is out for me due to some physical things too but I lost 25 pounds since september. This is not at all fast, but I have changed my eating style, which is IMO more important than quick weight loss that will often come back.

I started watching fat grams in everything I ate and calories too, so my carbs too did get reduced. Instead of three meals, I went to 5 smaller ones, which shrank my stomach. As a result, I cannot eat as much at one sitting as I used to. Restaurants even are a problem now because I can never eat half of which they serve me.

It is about that simple. I have 15 to go and if it takes a year to do it, so what? At least I am heading in the right direction and doing it healthy.

Sorry about your weight gain. I had gotten too heavy too before the light bulb went on and I had to do something.

There is one more thing relating to stress and this varies with people. Some overeat when stressed or depressed. I am the opposite. If I am over stressed, a few more pounds will just plonk off because the stomach muscles contract even more.

Good luck.

Laura

catscradle
07-28-2004, 10:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote woody_968:</font><hr> Yup, thats the one. I also put a link for it in my other post on this board. <hr /></blockquote>

I used to run a lot, a whole lot and as a result could eat and eat and eat. Now that age has reduced that considerably, I find my weight creeping (leaping?) up. I'll give this book a read, in my late 50s I'm not about to change what I eat, but I might be up to change how and how much I eat.
Thanks.

woody_968
07-28-2004, 02:45 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote catscradle:</font><hr> I'm not about to change what I eat, but I might be up to change how and how much I eat.
Thanks. <hr /></blockquote>

Thats exactly what I did.