PDA

View Full Version : B D Support

Jimmy B
07-24-2004, 12:55 AM
When I signed on (here) today I looked up and saw the header, it kinda made me wonder how many people who come to post and read here really support the fine people who give us this great opportunity. I subscribed to BD for about 6 years and recently stopped because I felt that I was wasting my money, I didn't have time to read all the mags I receive now and I felt that IP was just doing a better job. This kinda made me feel hypocritical and I was wondering how many of us really do spend the money each year just to support this forum and the people who bring it to us.

JB

Rich R.
07-24-2004, 04:45 AM
Jimmy, I agree that, right now, IP is doing a much better job. However, I still subscribe to BD, not necessarily to support this forum, although it does, but just to get another point of view on the pool news.

Tom_In_Cincy
07-24-2004, 09:08 AM
Been a subscriber to BD for almost 18 years, long before the forum.

IP is a great pool rag as well, I have also enjoyed it for the last 3 years.

9 Ball Girl
07-24-2004, 11:00 AM
Well I've been a BD subscriber since 01 and an IP subscriber since it's conception and I have to say that IP is the one I like best with BD coming in a close second. The only subscription that I cancelled is P&B because I found the layout difficult to follow and once that happens, I just browse through the mag without really reading much.

Harold Acosta
07-24-2004, 11:24 AM
Been a BD subscriber since 96 I believe when I saw one laying around at the Camel Grand Prix of Puerto Rico. I also subscribed at P&B but dropped it after the subscription expired. No other magazines for me although I've been tempted with IP.

<font color="blue">Billiards: A passionate sport for the mind and soul!</font color>
http://www.thebilliardstour.com/images/animated-stars.gif

larrynj1
07-24-2004, 01:37 PM
i've been a subscriber to bd since about 1995 or 1996, and ip for about a year now. bd is the more "scholarly" tome, heavy on the history and science of pool. ip is the hippest of the 3 mags, of interest to all levels of players. of course, since i do some work for ip, i'm prejudiced in their favor. i'll refrain from an opinion about p&amp;b, other than it ain't what it used to be.

edit for speling errurs

tateuts
07-24-2004, 02:09 PM
I was a subscriber until recently. I like the magazine, but let the subscription lapse without realizing it. I'll probably pick up missed issues at some point.

I have a collection of past issues - about 100 - dating back to 1988 or so.

Just using the website as much as we do is alsoupporting Billiards Digest. They sell advertising here too.

Chris

NH_Steve
07-24-2004, 08:21 PM
I enjoy my subscription, and have since about 1989 or so. Before that I subscribed to Pool &amp; Billiard, and before that the National Billiard News, and before that I'm not sure if pool had been invented yet /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif I do miss the Legends of the Road series by Tom Shaw in P&amp;B and try to catch that when I can.

JDB
07-25-2004, 12:45 AM
I have been a subscriber of BD since the late 90's and will continue to support it, but IP has become the best, which I just started subscribing too... Going to drop P&amp;B because it is way behind both BD and IP... Also going to drop all the damn golf magazines because I will never be good at golf and don't have time to read them...lol.

Wally_in_Cincy
07-25-2004, 08:36 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote larrynj1:</font><hr>..i'll refrain from an opinion about p&amp;b, other than it ain't what it used to be. <hr /></blockquote>

Man ain't that the truth. They must have laid off all their writers or something because the last few issues have been instructional columns, some tournament coverage, and THAT'S IT !

Billiards Digest has a new feature. Apparently R. A. Dyer, the author of Hustler Days, is writing a feature every other month. This month it was on Tom Fox, author of Fats' biography and writer of the Johnston City article that appeared in Sports Illustrated around 1962.

I enjoy George Fels, even though this month he's back on his screed about the bad way pool is portrayed on tv (Sopranos in this case)

I really like Mike Shamos historical feature.

and Inside Pool has Keith McCready /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

whiteoak
07-25-2004, 05:23 PM
Jimmy,I do subscribe to the magazine but i know what you mean about finding time to read everything; it is hard to do,if not impossible.Also thanks for the participation.You have always offered replys to my many questions. Thanks,M.S.

SecaucusFats
07-25-2004, 07:02 PM
I have been subscribing to BD for 6 years, and I also subsribe to IP and P&amp;B. I like BD and IP about the same which is to say: a lot. P&amp;B is not even close to either.

SF

Barbara
07-26-2004, 08:00 AM
I've been a subscriber to BD and PB for over 10 years now. And I get IP because I'm a Regional Tour Coordinator, plus, they sponsor me. Here's my take on the three mags.

BD and PB are more Pro-oriented and cover the big National events. IP has taken the route to cover the Regional Tours and more local player news and results. And after having read 10 years of what this pro or that pro is doing, it's very refreshing to read about the local and regional players, too - the kind I associate with and relate to.

However, in the last couple of issues, BD has upped their regional tour coverage. I see this as trying to compete with IP. Also, IP is marketing itself very well. You can pick up a copy of IP at the local record/video store whereas I have yet to see BD or PB available at the local book store.

Barbara

Wally_in_Cincy
07-26-2004, 08:34 AM
P &amp; B continues to sink to a new low level. I was able to read the most recent issue yesterday cover-to-cover in 29 minutes.

Ewa's column (which I usually like) had the groundbreaking advice that your forearm should be perpendicular to the table when you strike the CB.

Cappelle says if you can't run a rack of 8-ball you should play safe.

and they had a wrap-up of the BCA pro and amateur tournies.

that was it.

nAz
07-26-2004, 08:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr>
Ewa's column (which I usually like) had the groundbreaking advice that your forearm should be perpendicular to the table when you strike the CB.
Cappelle says if you can't run a rack of 8-ball you should play safe.
and they had a wrap-up of the BCA pro and amateur tournies.
<hr /></blockquote>

good to see that you learned something /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Naz~~~ has every issue of BD since 2000

Paul_Mon
07-26-2004, 11:10 AM
Jim/Jimmy/Jimbo

I've been a BD subscriber since about 1995 and used to get P &amp; B until about 2001. Anything George Fels writes is worth the subcription price. If I could read Fels online I wouldn't bother with BD and get IP instead.

Paul Mon

RUNaRAK
07-26-2004, 11:18 AM
I also subscribe to IP which I like very much. I recently put in a 3 yr subscription to BD. From what I have read here, I will not expect too much but can hope for the best. I too, try to support the industry in every way that I can. The forums sometime have good info! I try to ignore the flames!

larrynj1
07-26-2004, 11:20 AM
george fels used to post on this site very often a few years back. he obviously doesn't any longer. what's up widdat?

Wally_in_Cincy
07-26-2004, 12:26 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote larrynj1:</font><hr> george fels used to post on this site very often a few years back. he obviously doesn't any longer. what's up widdat? <hr /></blockquote>

I think he's busy playing pool.

He has posted a few times

http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showprofile.php?Cat=&amp;User=071838&amp;page=3&amp;what=showm embers

Fran used to post a lot too but evil trolls ran her off.

thecardman
07-26-2004, 02:06 PM
Although I don't subscribe to BD directly, it is available in the Glasgow branch of Borders since it opened about 4 years ago. As long as they get them in, I get it - and they've only missed one issue the whole time they've been open. I don't know of anywhere else in the whole of the UK - whether it be here in Scotland or in England, Wales or Ireland - that stocks BD!

The funny thing about P&amp;B is that I can only find it when I am "down south" in London - in Tower Records at Picadilly Circus! When I told Jerry Forsyth about it at the World Championships about 3 years ago, he was surprised that it was available there!

Sadly, as yet, IP is not available here in the UK. Well, not that I have found!

Best wishes

thecardman
/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
07-27-2004, 06:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote thecardman:</font><hr> ...Sadly, as yet, IP is not available here in the UK. Well, not that I have found!

Best wishes

thecardman
/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>

you can download IP directly from their website

Chris Cass
07-27-2004, 05:05 PM
Hi Cardman,

Do you know what I like about IP other than Sally? It's a mag that's about the amature players and pro events too. It's what pool and the billiards industries needed for a longtime IMHO. I just can't say enough about it myself. P&amp;B well, although I'm personal friends with the owner and know most of the writing staff and family of the writing staff the mag has went more billiard industry than players. Erick' lil brother both sons of Harold does all the pics. That kid is really talented and a good kid too. They do have excellent photography too but, like I said, IP is great.

Regards,

C.C.