PDA

View Full Version : Flat Break Tips?

Sid_Vicious
07-24-2004, 08:30 AM
Has anyone left a break tip as flat as it was when installed(not pre domed?) I'm trying one of Talisman's BK tips and currently have it factory flat. Seems to pop really good like that. Opinions???sid

woody_968
07-24-2004, 11:06 AM
I havent tried it yet, but have been considering it. I dont know if I would like it totally flat. Seems like with the sharp edges if you hit a little off center there wouldnt be much tip on the cueball. Let me know how you like it after you have tried it a little while.

trailboss
07-24-2004, 11:32 AM
Hi Sid! Here is my take on this... my pardner has an awsome break where the cueball goes straight up off the table for two to three inches and lands in mid table. I asked him and he told me he uses a quater profile for his break cue and a nickle sizs for his shooter. Hope this helps.

Rod
07-24-2004, 11:53 AM
Sid,

Mine isn't flat, about the radius of a large beach ball. lol I suggest for anyone using flat or near flat make sure you hit the center. For those that try to kill the ball and end up with spin after the break; it might not be a good idea.

Even a flat tip will naturally develop some curvature from slight off center hits and chalking. BTW there more difficult to chalk. I don't see any advantage of having a flat tip over a slight curvature.

Rod

ceebee
07-24-2004, 09:03 PM
Sid... the flat tip is OK. A flat tip is something we are not used to seeing or using, but it is OK. If you have a 13mm tip, it is .504 in diameter. In my research, the tip compresses enough to leave approximately a 1/4" diameter spot of chalk on the cue ball, at impact. A 13mm tip can strike a Cue Ball off center by 1/8" & still leave that 1/4" chalk circle at the center of the Cue Ball.

But, here's the catch. We have two different scenarios to examine. If the Cue strikes the Cue Ball as much as 1/8" off intended striking point, but is stroked parallel to the intended line of flight, the Cue (with the flat tip) will still send the Cue Ball down the original intended line of flight, because the tip is flat & allows for a great deal of error.

But, if the Cue is not stroked parallel to the line of flight, the Cue Stick (even with a flat tip) has an off-angle centroid & will strike the Cue Ball up to maybe an 1/8" off intended strike point & not on the line between the two centers (Cue Ball & target center of the Lead Ball) thus deflecting it's path off intended line of flight.

The flat tip might also be difficult to chalk. Chalk aids our mis-hits & makes a slight error turn out OK.

My new book will cover lots of situations of this kind.

Sid_Vicious
07-24-2004, 09:10 PM
I'm keeping the tip unchalked and break with it that way. Goofy huh...sid

Rip
07-25-2004, 07:32 PM
Sid,
Here is a tip I've been breaking with recently. The tip is a one piece highly technical piece of pool playing gear that flares out towards the end giving it more of a hitting surface, approximately 13.675214845 mm at the very tip...but that's just a guess /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ripsstuff2003/detail?.dir=/ff06&.dnm=15e0.jpg

Since installing this tip on a prototype break cue I've been working on, my break has not improved at all. In fact, my break sucks, always has, and still does. But...I'm $20 lighter after having this figgin' thing installed!
Plus, the damn thing won't fit in any of my cases! Perfect!
Regards,
Rip~~thankful to be a one pocket player!

Rod
07-25-2004, 08:19 PM
LOL, Hey Rip, bell tips have been around since Shep's ggrandmother was a pup and shep is old. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif They didn't do anything special then or now. LOL They might however give one the feeling of more confidence when swatting the ball. I mean, how can you miss? The c/b that is not the head ball. LOL

~~rod, veteran of a bell tip.

Rip
07-25-2004, 08:42 PM
Rod,
Truer words have never been spoken. Rod my friend, can I just go ahead and put you on retainer now? Name your price Rod, it'll save me money in the long run for sure, LOL /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Rip~mooch, googan, and overall dumba$$! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Rod
07-25-2004, 09:50 PM
Ok, well a drink in Vegas, that is if I ever get back there again. That is an odd looking tip you have there.

~~Rod, overall tried some of that stuff to, nothing real significant stands out in the last few decades. Don't start throwing rocks

Eric.
07-26-2004, 11:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> I'm keeping the tip unchalked and break with it that way. Goofy huh...sid <hr /></blockquote>

Sid,

For what it's worth, I've used a flat tip for years. I take a hard tip, cut it flat and low(I mean real low), soak and compress it then glue it on. Next I take a bottle or coffee mug and beat a damp tip til it shines up smooth. I NEVER chalk the tip. Works well for me.

Eric

Sid_Vicious
07-26-2004, 11:54 AM
That's very interesting indeed. Do you find any difficulty in glue adhering or pop offs after all this treatment? I find it consoling to find somebody else who does not chalk the break tip...sid

Eric.
07-26-2004, 12:56 PM
I've never had any problems with glue. There really isn't anything special that I do to the tips. Basically, it's a hard leather tip cut real low and compressed in a vise. I don't use the phenolic tips.

As far as not using chalk, I've found that it seems to put alot less unwanted English on the CB. I've even gone as far as smoothing out the tip vs. a rough tip.

Eric

phil in sofla
07-26-2004, 08:35 PM
Brings back a fond memory for me.

Playing a race of 9-ball to 5, I found a house cue with a totally flat tip to it, and announced it would be a killer break cue.

Snapped 3 nines on the break (not consecutively, and to 3 diffferent pockets, including the side pocket), and twice moved the 9 to a hanger position for my next shot, comboing or caroming the 9. The set took about 2 minutes.

My opponent changed the rack position slightly, and the rest of the night was entirely different, so I don't know if it was the tip or somehow the table was wired for the original rack placement, and I never again found a house cue with anything like that flat tip.