PDA

View Full Version : Pool Blues

dr_billiards
07-24-2004, 08:39 PM
I've been playing pool for the past 15 years. Now it seems like I get bored really easily playing. I can play about 15 minutes and am bored to tears. What do you guys do to get over being bored with pool?Should I take a long LOA away from it?
Doc B

wantsumrice
07-24-2004, 09:59 PM
Here's a similar situation...

Click Here (http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=ccb&Number=147811&page=0&v iew=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1)

~ivan

trailboss
07-24-2004, 11:20 PM
Take some time off, this works wonders for me. Even better go and look at some high dollar custom cues and get one, this really will renew your interest in the game. Also what works for me as well is to play one pocket, snooker, 9 and 7 ball. This has helped keep my interest also.

Popcorn
07-24-2004, 11:28 PM
I have quit for years at a time.

Rod
07-24-2004, 11:35 PM
Me too.

bill190
07-24-2004, 11:48 PM
Do you have other interests? Something else to do?

If all else fails, there is always Bored.com or search google.com for the word bored. Just the names of the web sites from the search should cheer you up!

wantsumrice
07-25-2004, 12:18 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bill190:</font><hr> If all else fails, there is always Bored.com or search google.com for the word bored. Just the names of the web sites from the search should cheer you up! <hr /></blockquote>

Hahaha! Or you could be like me and play starcraft. Great game /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

~ivan

Chris Cass
07-25-2004, 02:41 AM
Hi Doc,

Yep, maybe a break would be in order. You could just walk in when there's action and watch. You could rent some videos to get your interest back. Maybe, the hustler, COM or Baltimore Bullet. You could get some accustats tapes or could just drop in by me and we could hit some togather.

Take your pick. Sometimes it takes a little bit more to get you motivated. The way I see it is like this,

"Play hard or don't play at all."

Regards,

C.C.

BillPorter
07-25-2004, 04:09 AM
Me three......

cheesemouse
07-25-2004, 07:14 AM
Doc,

I suggest you take a two week break and then quit all together....hehehe /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

tateuts
07-25-2004, 08:29 AM
Jack up the bet! At least, that's what my friends seem to think is the wonder pill for all pool ills!

Seriously, set some new goals for yourself, explore other aspects of the game, find some new opponents. Time to rekindle the desire.

Maybe take a break - my last and only one lasted 20 years.

Chris

Sid_Vicious
07-25-2004, 09:51 AM
I've taken off weeks but except for some of the years I was my married, I've never missed out on playing for a whole year, I'm not sure I could lay low for a year after all the past recent years of playing. Y'all have me thinking of taking whole months now, hit the drills at home, but stay away from competition and even fun Saturdays. I too have lost a ton of enthusiasm and it shows in the results, almost sad in general sometimes, and I'm even talking about days of playing rather well(for my standard.) Many here have recently stated the phrase "you have to have that killer instinct", which I've never been able to muster, and lately the game has become really stale for me, except for having a great times with the fun people at the PH.

Rod &amp; Popcorn, did y'all go to places with pool tables and not play at all for years? That seems tough to comprehend for me, but maybe it would help. With me though, it's the killer thing. I play well at times, running over lesser players, and I get to the killing ball in front of me and a shade of sympathy for the guy creeps in, and I lose, conscious or subconscious, I almost find a reward for seeing a nice type opponent get back into the game. This is surely very odd to those here who have that drive to win, win, win, "get the cheeze", clobber the other guy, and I am not saying there is a positive merit to be had for being a softee, it's just part of my overall nature cuz "I've been there, done that" on the other guy's side, getting stuck in my chair watching.

One suggestion stated in this thread did hit home, and I need to adhere to it more,,,invest more time in another hobby. I personally enjoy shooting adult airguns, several I own are in the $500-$700 range, some are those cheapee'z we played with as a kid. The motionless requirement to consistently accomplish physically holding a single stroke springer in order to place a pellet in a sub-inch CTC group at 55 yards demands concentration, solid non movement, and letting the rifle follow through. Doesn't that sound fundamentally familiar? All of the times that I was headlong into shooting and getting this ability to hit a tiny target at 55 yards, has undoubledly bled into my pool stroke back then when I shot a lot. Point is, don't make pool the ONLY thing you strive to perfect. It's too easy to get saturated in pool to the point that you resist in taking a buddy's welcome to do something different than pool, plus you lose some of your non playing buds company after a while, not a good thing to lose friends....sid~~~considering leaving his cues at home for some time once September passes, and just watch the crowd for a change, if that's possible /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Kato
07-25-2004, 11:05 AM
Quit.

I've pretty much quit except for having committed to my Wednesday night league before I decided to stop playing. It's still my favorite game but I just don't feel like playing.

Kato

Popcorn
07-25-2004, 12:52 PM
I don't quit on purpose, i.e. I have a bad night and say, "I am never playing this game again". I just have gotten away from it at times.

1a2b3c
07-25-2004, 12:59 PM
doesnt your level of play really slip when you take years away from the game?

Popcorn
07-25-2004, 01:14 PM
I can only speak for myself, but it comes back surprisingly fast. I have played lots of times and had not hit a ball in a few months and are pretty much a 100% right away, almost no difference. When you don't play for a long time though, it will really show up if you are under pressure. I notice that I don't so much miss balls or execute badly, as I forget how to play the actual game. I make bad decisions as well as over look things. My overall play will not be very good but it is easily remedied, you know what to do you just have to get into the right mode, It can take some time though.

Harold Acosta
07-25-2004, 04:18 PM
I'm been playing on and off for about 2 years now. The fire in me was just not there anymore.

Yesterday, I went to the pool hall I most frequently visited. Nothing was going on. Same people, same BS. I decided to visit a pool hall 30 miles away that installed 5 Gold Crown 4's about a month ago. Got there at 8:30 and didn't leave until 1:30 am. Played 3 sets, races to 9. Lost 2 sets 9-6, 9-5 with one player. Played with another player and won 9-5. The best time I've had in years.

It seems that I will have to change my habits and visit more frequently this new place.

<font color="blue">Billiards: A passionate sport for the mind and soul!</font color>
http://www.thebilliardstour.com/images/animated-stars.gif

Vagabond
07-25-2004, 07:13 PM
A friend of mine used to say``Sex is the cure for every problem in the world``.Good Luck
Vagabond /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

kenz54
07-25-2004, 08:44 PM
Doc I think you should quit entirely and send me all your cues! LOL

dr_billiards
07-25-2004, 09:38 PM
LOL. I did think about selling all my stuff on eBay! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif