PDA

View Full Version : He didn't complain and didn't explain...

Leviathan
07-25-2004, 06:38 AM
Saw something good at the weekly 9-Ball tournament the other night. A relatively inexperienced player beat a very strong player in a race to three games. The guy who won was happy and excited, of course.

The guy who was beaten gave the winner a big handshake, praised a couple of shots the winner made, told the winner he'd made a lot of progress in the last few months, etc. He didn't do anything to lessen the winner's enjoyment of his big victory. Later on, I heard somebody ask the guy who lost what the hell happened--geez, you were off your game, right? The guy said no, I played okay, Jake just beat me. I liked that--none of the usual excuses, nothing to belittle his opponent's accomplishment.

Classy performance, in my opinion.

AS

woody_968
07-25-2004, 07:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Leviathan:</font><hr>

AS <hr /></blockquote>

Tap Tap Tap.

tateuts
07-25-2004, 08:23 AM
Good post.

Wally_in_Cincy
07-25-2004, 08:50 AM
I have noticed a lot of really good players who do not feel the need to belittle their opponents to make themselves feel like a big shot.

Then there's that 25% of them that are just A-holes /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

66goat
07-25-2004, 09:06 AM
I beat a player once rated at over twice my rating. I got luck in getting put on a table I had just practiced on the weekend before sinking the nine ball. This particular table just "let" me drop the nine or get close on 5 out of 10 breaks. Well against this guy, I sunk it twice in four games, ran out on another and just beat him on my fourth win. He won a couple of games in there too, but when the nine goes in on the break there just isn't much you can do. I ended up taking second in that tournament, but it was my most memorable one because of that match. Haven't been that lucky since, but oh well. Unfortunately he was one of the 25% you speak of. He was pissed and complained that I wasn't ranked high enough, blah, blah, blah. My problem is inconsistantcy. I can play like that one minute and miss the simplist shots the next. The pool gods were just playing with me that round. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Sid_Vicious
07-25-2004, 09:18 AM
"I can play like that one minute and miss the simplist shots the next. The pool gods were just playing with me that round."

I understand the feelings with that statement...sid~~~should be named Sid Consistentless

Tom_In_Cincy
07-25-2004, 09:55 AM
Classy.

But, I sure would like to see this as a common place experience.

Maybe one of these days.

Popcorn
07-25-2004, 10:20 AM
To be honest, that gentleman is more representative of most pool players then the sore loser. The others just seem to stick out.

nhp
07-26-2004, 06:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> To be honest, that gentleman is more representative of most pool players then the sore loser. The others just seem to stick out. <hr /></blockquote>

Wow....are you sure about that? After running handicapped tournaments for over a year, and playing in hundreds of others, I was under the impression that about 75% of the players out there can be real jerks when they lose, hell, even when they are winning. Yesterday for instance, there was this guy I haven't seen before playing my friend some cheap sets. On the stranger's turn, he walks outside and smokes a cigarette. My friend gets a call from his mom about something important. The guy walks back in, and starts yelling at my friend to get off the phone, saying it's rude to talk on a cell phone during a match. The guy said that right when he came back in from smoking. My friend just stared at him, finished the conversation on the phone for about 10 more seconds, and the guy breaks down his cue and quits him. The stranger was up 1 set at that point. What a jerk! lol

dmgwalsh
07-26-2004, 07:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Leviathan:</font><hr> Saw something good at the weekly 9-Ball tournament the other night. A relatively inexperienced player beat a very strong player in a race to three games. The guy who won was happy and excited, of course.

The guy who was beaten gave the winner a big handshake, praised a couple of shots the winner made, told the winner he'd made a lot of progress in the last few months, etc. He didn't do anything to lessen the winner's enjoyment of his big victory. Later on, I heard somebody ask the guy who lost what the hell happened--geez, you were off your game, right? The guy said no, I played okay, Jake just beat me. I liked that--none of the usual excuses, nothing to belittle his opponent's accomplishment.

AS <hr /></blockquote>

I had something like that happen to me at eight ball league last fall. I played a guy who was probably ranked within the top 5 of about 70 players. I'm in the bottom 50% at the time. I beat him both games somehow and he was real nice and said good game. I kinda had the shakes after beating him. I was kind of nervous like "the world is out of joint" or something. When he walked by later, he just slapped me on the back and smiled. Great guy.

Popcorn
07-26-2004, 07:48 AM
You choose to see the bad, like I said they seem to stick out.

Leviathan
07-26-2004, 07:49 AM
'Lo, nhp:

I play mostly in small-time straight-up tournaments and almost never have major problems with my opponents.

AS