PDA

View Full Version : Oops! He did it again!

Harold Acosta
07-25-2004, 09:08 AM
<font color="blue"> Armstrong Pedals Toward Record Victory

1 minute ago </font color>

Champagne flowed among Lance Armstrong's U.S. Postal Service teammates Sunday while they pedaled toward the finish line on the Champs-Elysees en route to what was expected to be his record sixth straight Tour de France title.

For once, the riders looked like they were having fun as the stage got under way in Montereau, south of Paris. Armstrong easy to pick out of the pack in his leader's yellow jersey and gold-colored aerodynamic helmet laughed and chatted with adversaries while his squad rode around to keep him safe.

At one point, Armstrong and teammates sipped from flutes of champagne as they headed north. Other riders waved at television crews and snapped pictures with cameras as they rode by stretches of golden wheat fields.

Story continues at:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&amp;ncid=755&amp;e=1&amp;u=/ap/20040725/ap_on_sp_ot/cyc_tour_de_france

Cueless Joey
07-25-2004, 10:20 AM
Hail to Sir Lance!
Oh, scwew them Frenchies for booing him.
Now, Sir Lance can retire. It was a privelege to have lived in his lifetime.

rukiddingme
07-27-2004, 07:19 AM
i guess you did not watch the millions of fans along the tour cheering him on ...
ruk

catscradle
07-27-2004, 07:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> Hail to Sir Lance!
Oh, scwew them Frenchies for booing him.
Now, Sir Lance can retire. It was a privelege to have lived in his lifetime. <hr /></blockquote>

... and the Germans who spit on him.

9 Ball Girl
07-27-2004, 08:31 AM
Why would the French boo him and why would the Germans spit on him? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif I don't know of any controversy but I thought that everyone would root for him to get into the records, no?

rukiddingme
07-27-2004, 09:39 AM
Ulrich who ended up in 4th place overall is German.
I'm sure that along the over 20 stages of the race there could have been a handfull of idiots that booed him or spit on him BUT there were literally MILLIONS along the way that cheered him and all the others on.
Fans of the Tour of France cheer all the participants of the Tour. They know what pain these athletes endure and honor those who participate in this event. It is an unbelievable accomplishment to finish the Tour, let alone finish in 1st place. To finish 1st 5 and 6 years in a row...WOW! The whole Postal team was great!
ruk
ps: I have watched the Tour every year since the mid 60's.