PDA

View Full Version : Lathes????

AdamQ
07-25-2004, 11:57 AM
Does anyone have some info on where to find an affordable used Lathe, nothing fancy, just something to use for shaft clean up, tip repairs, ect....?

Popcorn
07-25-2004, 12:26 PM
It depends what the etc. is. You can do decent tip repairs with hand tools and a wood lathe. You just need the ability to spin the shaft to do the final dressing on the tip. You can also do shaft cleaning and wrapping. If you want to do ferrules, joint repairs and so on, you need something more. Good used metal lathes are hard to come by and if they have spent most their lives in a machine shop they could pretty worn out and need expensive repairs to make them 100%. You can check your local classified but if you have no idea what you are looking at you need someone to check it out for you. I am not a fan of a lot of the imports such as Grizzly or Enco, but the truth is, for cue work they are fine and will do a good job. They are just not a good choice for a machine shop or production shop.

AdamQ
07-25-2004, 06:27 PM
Thanks for the info, looking for something around about 1500 bucks. I posted another Question about Unique Products INC, check it out at www.uniqueinc.com (http://www.uniqueinc.com) and let me know if you have ever heard of 'em.

Thanks
AdamQ

SpiderMan
07-26-2004, 08:03 AM
Spend some time on the newsgroup "rec.crafts.metalworking", and read their FAQ. There's a lot of collective knowledge available. If you don't know a lot about machinery, be very careful, take someone more experienced with you when you look at used gear.

There's also the possibility of new imported gear at a good price, depending on what you're willing to spend. I don't personally care for the initial build quality, but if you ask around on the newsgroups first there are some models available at Harbor Freight and elsewhere that will do the job for you after careful setup and tweaking.

My own hobby lathe is a 10"-swing pre-war Atlas. I found it used for $700. It came with a nearly-new bed, quick-change gearbox, two chucks, new bearings, and lots of miscellaneous tooling. This was a very good deal compared to my local area (Dallas), where the lathe would have brought about $1000 stripped and maybe $1500 tooled, if I could even find one. Most good deals are snapped up quickly. It was worth the weekend trip to St Louis to pick it up. More good deals on used gear seem to be in the Northeast and in California.

Really, rec.crafts.metalworking is a great resource.

SpiderMan

pooltchr
07-26-2004, 09:06 AM
I responded to your other post on Unique Products.
You can PM me if you want to discuss it further
Steve