PDA

View Full Version : Idea: Pool room in restaurant

wantsumrice
07-25-2004, 10:51 PM
Well, my mom owns a restaurant thats buisness is dropping. I personally, think that the 6 year old buisness needs something new and bold to attract customers.

The restaurant is pretty big, and has plenty of room for some pool tables...This is where my idea comes in. I think that if we add a couple pool tables, charge $4 an hour we could not only make money off the tables, but increase the number of customers. I did a little bit of math, and if we had shooters come in for about 6 hours a day, for 365 days, we would make about $10,000 off the tables.

I wanted to see what you guys thought about this, you think that buisness would increase? Or is this just a fantasy?

~ivan

Jimmy B
07-26-2004, 01:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wantsumrice:</font><hr>
I think that if we add a couple pool tables, charge $4 an hour we could not only make money off the tables, but increase the number of customers. I did a little bit of math, and if we had shooters come in for about 6 hours a day, for 365 days, we would make about $10,000 off the tables.

<hr /></blockquote>

I'd say that a couple of tables would cost you much more then the 10K you plan to make, also planning to have them going for 6 hours a day for the whole year might be a bit of a pipe dream. Chances are if you had one table going in the day you'd be lucky. Is there a pool hall close by? Any bars with tables?? How well do they do? I also think that the pool tables would change the whole feel of the place (I have no idea what the feel is now) and may scare away some business, sometimes pool has a bad connotation to the non pool playing public. Some people feel it's spelled with P and that rhymes with T...

JB &lt;---Also Rhymes with T

Wally_in_Cincy
07-26-2004, 05:56 AM
does she serve alchohol? if so it might work. if not you're just going to have punk kids hanging around which will drive off your adult customers.

best to try revamping the menu first. why is business falling off?

Popcorn
07-26-2004, 08:33 AM
They will may add a little extra income. I would probably put in coin tables since most players will just want to play a game or two while they are waiting for their food. You may also have to check with your insurance company. Adding pool tables could jack up your liability insurance. There is probably additional licensing. Many cities and counties you have to get a license for each table. And some put a cap on how many coin machines you can have. You have to take into account that most of your customers come in to eat not listen to crashing balls. It could even hurt your business.

catscradle
07-26-2004, 08:45 AM
Why don't you try to contact the manager(s) of Firefly's (http://www.fireflysbbq.com/) in Marlboro, MA. They do the same thing, their food is kind of specialized (BBQ), but I would thing the principals would cross over.

wantsumrice
07-26-2004, 01:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is there a pool hall close by? Any bars with tables?? How well do they do? I also think that the pool tables would change the whole feel of the place (I have no idea what the feel is now) and may scare away some business, sometimes pool has a bad connotation to the non pool playing public<hr /></blockquote>

I've checked and there are no pool halls around this area. This is one reason why this might work.

There is a room near the bar which could be converted to a pool room which wouldn't exactly change any feel of the place. But this is definitely something to keep in consideration.

[ QUOTE ]
does she serve alchohol? if so it might work<hr /></blockquote>

Yes, there is a bar. Buisness is getting slow mostly because of management I believe. My mom's sister owned the place and some reason things weren't working, so now my mom is helping out cut down costs and food waste during the buffet hours.

[ QUOTE ]
You have to take into account that most of your customers come in to eat not listen to crashing balls. It could even hurt your business. <hr /></blockquote>

True, but there is a spot that is pretty far from the dining room. Although it is near the bar...I'm sure the people in the bar wouldnt mind. The kind of crowd in the bar is the typical old worn down man or mid-aged loner.

[ QUOTE ]
Why don't you try to contact the manager(s) of Firefly's in Marlboro, MA. They do the same thing, their food is kind of specialized (BBQ), but I would thing the principals would cross over.<hr /></blockquote>

Not a bad idea at all. I have seen what they've done to the place and it looks excellent. I want to go play there myself.

Thanks for the thoughts guys.
~ivan

tateuts
07-26-2004, 03:00 PM
There is no "in general" answer to your question. However, it sounds like things are not going the way they should be at the restaurant and changes are in order.

I can tell you that I believe pool tables are a vastly overlooked asset in the restaurant/lounge business. The hotel industry is discovering this. I was at the Paris Airport Hyatt last year, a modern glass and chrome fancy place at DeGaulle. Every night at about 8:00, at least 30 or 40 people crowded around the fancy 9' pool table they have in the lounge area and played and drank and ate and talked until about 1:00 a.m. Turned out they were flight crews from various airlines playing for drinks and having the time of their lives.

At the Hyatt Regency Kauai there is a fancy bar/restaurant in the lobby, Stevenson's Library. They have two or three 8' tables that are rented out with a waiting list every night - and it's been that way for over 10 years now. Since this was successful, there are a half dozen hotels in Hawaii that have added tables to their lounges. The Sheraton Maui has one, the Ritz Carlton has two of them, Grand Wailea has had them for years, Hapuna on the Big Island has them in their golf clubhouse.

Average people (not just players) seem to love playing pool - they also like watching pool and rooting for someone to win. Pool is a diversion in a bar or restaurant -and it's fun to interact with others - it's not like watching a ballgame on TV.

The above examples are furniture type of tables in fancy places. I think this is to promote the social, club like feeling of the rooms.

I would say that the creative use of pool tables to enhance the atmosphere of a lounge and restaurant, done right, could be a big positive. You might be able to attract local clubs for private events as well.

Chris