PDA

View Full Version : question on tip hardness

marek
07-26-2004, 04:07 AM
Hi people!
Today Id like to find answer to my question on the tip hardness. I know there are 3 types of tips considering hardness: soft, medium and hard. Basically what is the difference between them? As I found out the soft tips can worn out much faster than the medium or the hard ones. But considering quality of game? Not sure so far...I have found out that it is easier for me to draw the ball with softer tip BUT I also encountered higher deflection with it. This has gone unnoticed by me for the ages until I started to play with 314 shaft or to be more precise until I changed the tip on it for the first time. There are also layered tips with different types of hardness (never used them before). So what are your opinion on the tips? Any suggestion on the best tip for 314? I would really welcome any in-depth explanation to this problem. THX! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
P.s.: I have also found out one thing with my 314: if the tip hasnt perfect shape the deflection rate grows rapidly!

trailboss
07-26-2004, 08:17 AM
I agree wih you as I recently went with a Lepro tip to an Elkmaster. The deflection is greater with the Elk but I can deal with it by adjusting my aim. I dont see the mushrooming yet on this tip. I was informed that quality control sometimes slips and a bad batch will get through thus giving it a bad rap. The triangle tip I shot with on my friends cue was pretty good and I intend to try one latter on. There is no magic tip, if there was word will get out PDQ on this group. Soft, medium or hard its all a personal choice.

Frank_Glenn
07-26-2004, 11:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote trailboss:</font><hr> I agree wih you as I recently went with a Lepro tip to an Elkmaster. The deflection is greater with the Elk but I can deal with it by adjusting my aim. <hr /></blockquote>

I do not think that the tip makes any difference in deflection. I think what you are seeing is a difference in english induced throw. Some will agree and some will disagree with this. YMMV

trailboss
07-26-2004, 12:12 PM
Your mostly right Frank. For want of a better word at my disposal I used deflection. It is most likely throw, however the Elk does have a different aim point than the Lepro. I really like the Elk now that I am getting used to it and no mushrooming in site! I have not tried any really super hard tips but plan to do so in the near future. I will keep everyone posted!

Fred Agnir
07-26-2004, 12:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote trailboss:</font><hr> Your mostly right Frank. For want of a better word at my disposal I used deflection. It is most likely throw, however the Elk does have a different aim point than the Lepro. I really like the Elk now that I am getting used to it and no mushrooming in site! I have not tried any really super hard tips but plan to do so in the near future. I will keep everyone posted! <hr /></blockquote>There will be an article on various tips available in the September Issue of InsidePool Magazine.

Fred

bill190
07-26-2004, 12:34 PM
While soft tips may draw better, they are not good for other shots like those which require a hard stroke. The cue ball will run out of "gas". Also hitting hard on a soft tip will deform it (squish in the end). The idea is to get a tip which plays the best for all shots.

I found that I play most consistently with a tip which retains its shape. I keep it an exact shape with a shaping tool, and I chalk well before each shot. I prefer a dime shape for my playing and jump cues - quarter for break cue.

The tips which retain their shape the best are hard tips. Note that Moori hard tips (Q) will draw just as good as a Moori soft tip if you ask me, so that is what I use - a Moori - Q.

Also note that with many brands of tips, they may say medium tip, yet the tips out of the box will vary in hardness! And what is called a hard tip by one manufacturer would be the same as a medium tip by another manufacturer.

Tip hardness can be tested with a type "D" durometer. These instruments cost about $450.00. Some billiards retailers have durometers and test each and every tip they sell. One such retailer is Billiards and Bagels in Gresham Oregon. (I don't think they have a web site.) I have not seen any durometer tested tips for sale on the internet, but someone may do this???

tateuts
07-26-2004, 12:47 PM
To me it is more important to have a consistent feel and hit from the tip than it is to be able to put extreme spin on the cueball. I want controllable english and accuracy. If I have to put really radical spin on the cueball, I'm asking for trouble anyway.

That being said, I don't want a tip that miscues every time I'm on the edge either. My own observation is that medium and hard tips have to be meticulously shaped and porous enough to hold chalk to function at optimum. If I put on a tip that doesn't hold chalk well, I try to re-shape it and if it continues I cut it off and try another one. I use a Moori Medium III which is a medium hard tip. I would say that about 25% of them don't hold chalk as well as I'd like and go in the trash can. I recently bought some Moldavia Japanese layered tips which I will try out when my current Moori wears out - they supposedly play like a Moori but hold chalk better.

It is my belief that soft tips can be poorly shaped but still function properly because they compress to proper shape on impact with the cueball.

Chris

Fred Agnir
07-26-2004, 01:25 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tateuts:</font><hr>I recently bought some Moldavia Japanese layered tips which I will try out when my current Moori wears out -
<hr /></blockquote> Molavia. Very good tip. One of the best I've put on.

http://www.molavia.com/eng/index.html

Fred

marek
07-26-2004, 01:36 PM
Thx everybody for the info. I just bought and installed Talisman Pro hard tip and I am fully statisfied! The CB control is great and it seems that it would hold the shape without much work + I like the sound of it while shooting... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

SecaucusFats
07-26-2004, 01:43 PM
Wow those Molavia tips are something else!:

"you can keep stability
batting feeling for long time. It is compatible with the connected shafts,
which are coming to the main current now. A number of the former layere
d Tips simply have hardness and cool batting feeling but Molavia Tips
have some expansive batting feeling, and can give stability for players."

Lord knows I need all the stability I can get. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SF&lt; Where did I put that darned bat?