PDA

View Full Version : Slumping down down down

adc
07-26-2004, 07:00 AM
Hi there

Surely somebody has experienced a 'pool slump' ?

Where nothing goes right, the cue ball doesn't roll well, you can't pot the ball, you realise that your cueing is way off and can't seem to correct it.. etc .etc.. sound familiar?

I am in the middle of that, I can't really seem to pot smoothly as before, I can't really feel the cue ball....

Please please please advice on how to get out of it?

Really appreciate any help...

At the moment, I am just going through the basic shots, straight potting with a plain cue ball (no side, screw or follow), but when I play, it's as if I can't play .... makes sense?

Thanks

trailboss
07-26-2004, 08:00 AM
I have been there too! Here is what I do: take a few days off, when I am refreshed practice some drills. I like the drills in Black Belt Billiards, but there are others. Practice your stroke with follow through into an empty soda bottle until you can do it with your eyes closed. Practice cut shots at every angle you can imagine as these are the main shots you will need to know. Then when you are very good at cuts practice some masse and throw shots and so on as your skill improves.

NewJack
07-26-2004, 09:29 AM
When I look back at my slumps and all the hours I spent trying to fix my problems and all the money I spent on pool time doing it, the most cost and time effective thing I could've done was find a good instructor. Nip it in the bud, save your time and money, see an expert.

phil in sofla
07-26-2004, 08:23 PM
Supposedly, any prolonged slump stems from a changed fundamental of stance or stroke, such as a change in head position or tilt. This is hard to notice yourself, unless you have a local establishment that offers the ability to tape yourself playing. Even then, if it were slight, you'd have to have the prior reasonably good form you had before this slump started, side by side to notice it, if it were noticeable that way at all.

So, getting an expert outside observer involved, either as an instructor, or just observer/commenter, might be best.

However, I've found straightening out my stroke and honing my technique can be done by practicing one particular shot, which is Shot #1 in Bert Kinnister's 60 minute workout.

You put the object ball a quarter inch from the rail, at the spot between the corner pocket and the side pocket, the cue ball slightly further off the rail, at the equivalent midway spot from the side pocket to the other corner pocket on the same rail.

The shot is to pocket the ball with a near-stop shot, struck at center ball with a little pace, or slightly below center, slightly less hard, in either case with a speed that has the cue ball not exactly stopping on impact, but rolling one revolution forward, to just replace the object ball's position. (If you're right handed, you use the right rail as you face the table, so you can bridge normally, left-handed, the opposite).

This shot requires you are stroking straight, and gives immediate feedback as to how your stroke isn't straight, if you miss.

I don't belabor the drill, only using the 15 balls until I make them all this way. (Actually, although I try to do the roll up and replace action, if the shot is potted, I count that anyway.) For ease of setting this up 15 times, I alternate the direction I'm shooting and the rail.

It's also a decent speed of stroke measure, as Bert says this is the hardest you need to shoot almost any shot.

This is a very simple drill, but I've found it very effective in curing stroke problems when they come up.