PDA

View Full Version : Pool table in varied temperatures?

chadt74
07-26-2004, 08:13 AM
hey everyone I've been reading these forums for a while, but now I had to register and post a question. I have a 'warehouse' on my property and it has no heating or air conditioning. The structure is solid cinderblocks with some windows and I'm not sure how cold it will get in the winter but my question is will extreme weather conditions hurt a pool table? I live around Boston so I'm assuming that tempatures in the room should vary between 25~85 degrees.

I am planning on getting a table soon and just want to know what I need to set up my warehouse for a table.

Thanks in advance for the help/advice.

cheesemouse
07-26-2004, 08:47 AM
chadt74.

First off I will reply to the equiptment freaks who will jump all over this reply...I don't know anything about anything and the following is just the facts, nothing but facts...LOL

I have had my 9foot Brunswick Anniversary in a three season room for 18 years. I live in an area of the country that gets all the weather extremes. I do nothing special to change the conditions of the room except heat it when it is cold and cool it when it is hot. I do keep the cloth and balls very clean. I am cheap so I go to no great expense to protect my investment ( I bought the table for $250 and made the guy help me move it...LOL ). The table plays great, the rails are as lively now as they were in the beginning, one slate has popped but I think that is due to the cracked concrete pad raising and lowering with the large temp changes.

I'm not saying there aren't conditions that will adversely affect a pool table. I guess I'm saying that a high quality pool is build like a tank and it will with standed these extremes, within reason...the main thing is to get one, keep it clean and then use it to death.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

catscradle
07-26-2004, 08:54 AM
I live in the Boston area as well. I have my table in an unheated portion of my cellar, but it does get some heat from other parts of the cellar. In the winter it will sometimes get as cold as 50 degrees and in summer a little cooler than the outside tempature. That isn't quite the extremes you mentioned, but I've had it there 4 years with no sign of troubles yet.
I will warn you that the 50 degree days aren't a lot of fun practicing or playing down there.

Leviathan
07-26-2004, 03:24 PM
There's some interesting technical info at

http://www.wincilate.co.uk/techncal.htm .

This website gives the coefficient of expansion, recommended temperature ranges, modulus of rupture, etc. for a type of building slate quarried in Britain. The physical properties of slates may vary a lot, for all I know, but the info about this British slate is suggestive. It seems that the stuff expands and contracts significantly with modest changes in temperature.

If I understand the website, there could be about .4 to .5 mm (about a fiftieth of an inch) of linear expansion over the length of a pool table as the temperature of the slates increases from 10 degrees C to 30 degrees C. I don't have any idea how that amount of expansion would affect the slate-to-slate or slate-to-wood joints in a pool table.

AS

ras314
07-26-2004, 05:14 PM
I expect you ought to be concerned with humidity also. All I've been able to find is that some table manufactures recommend "room temperatures" and 50% to 60% RH.