PDA

View Full Version : 30 second shot clock

justbrake
07-26-2004, 10:35 AM
when is the thirty second clock hit,is after the ball is made or missed or when the balls stop rolling

Scott Lee
07-26-2004, 10:37 AM
justbrake...I believe the clock starts again when the CB stops rolling.

Scott Lee

Barbara
07-26-2004, 10:41 AM
Scott,

I would believe the clock is restarted when ALL the balls stop moving.

Barbara

Wally_in_Cincy
07-26-2004, 11:15 AM
you could post this at AZB. A guy over there named williebetmore was helping Steve Tipton keep time at the WPBA tourney in Peoria.

or maybe he'll see it here.

Bob_Jewett
07-26-2004, 03:05 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote justbrake:</font><hr> when is the thirty second clock hit,is after the ball is made or missed or when the balls stop rolling <hr /></blockquote>
The clock must stop when the tip hits the ball and must begin with a new 30 seconds when it is legal for the shooter to take a shot.

But I think a system they use in Europe would be better. Each player starts with so many minutes on his timer. He can use it any way he wants -- pick the lint off the table, sign autographs, take a bathroom break, or shoot. If he runs out of time before the end of the match, he loses.

Another system has each player start with a few minutes, and each shot taken adds so many seconds to the clock. This would be better for a game like one pocket, where it would be too brutal to end most games by expiration.

SecaucusFats
07-26-2004, 09:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote justbrake:</font><hr> when is the thirty second clock hit,is after the ball is made or missed or when the balls stop rolling <hr /></blockquote>

When the balls stop moving (a spinning ball is in motion).

SF

BeanDiesel
07-26-2004, 09:56 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bob_Jewett:</font><hr>
But I think a system they use in Europe would be better. Each player starts with so many minutes on his timer. He can use it any way he wants -- pick the lint off the table, sign autographs, take a bathroom break, or shoot. If he runs out of time before the end of the match, he loses.
<hr /></blockquote>

is it like chess timer?

Alfie
07-27-2004, 12:12 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bob_Jewett:</font><hr> But I think a system they use in Europe would be better. Each player starts with so many minutes on his timer. He can use it any way he wants -- pick the lint off the table, sign autographs, take a bathroom break, or shoot. If he runs out of time before the end of the match, he loses. <hr /></blockquote>Oh, like a chess clock.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bob_Jewett:</font><hr> Another system has each player start with a few minutes, and each shot taken adds so many seconds to the clock. This would be better for a game like one pocket, where it would be too brutal to end most games by expiration. <hr /></blockquote>Where would you get a clock like that?

Chris Cass
07-27-2004, 03:07 AM
HAHAHAHA Now after reading Scott' answer then yours then, I would have to say, after I spot rolling. LOL I agree with you. When, all the balls stop rolling.

Regards,

C.C.~~FL ammo

Wally_in_Cincy
07-27-2004, 06:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bob_Jewett:</font><hr> ...The clock must stop when the tip hits the ball...<hr /></blockquote>

In the WPBA matches, don't they stop the clock when the player gets down to shoot?

I don't ever recall seeing a clock violation when a player was in the act of shooting.

Rich R.
07-27-2004, 07:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> In the WPBA matches, don't they stop the clock when the player gets down to shoot?

I don't ever recall seeing a clock violation when a player was in the act of shooting. <hr /></blockquote>
Wally, to the best of my knowledge, the WPBA will not call a violation on a player who is down on a shot, getting ready to shoot. They don't stop the clock and if the player got back up, they would get a violation.

I believe they also stop the clock when a player asks for the bridge or goes for their jump cue. It starts again, when the player has the bridge or jump cue in hand and is ready to proceed.

Maybe one of the lady players could give us something a little more concrete?

Bob_Jewett
07-27-2004, 02:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Alfie:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bob_Jewett:</font><hr> Another system has each player start with a few minutes, and each shot taken adds so many seconds to the clock. This would be better for a game like one pocket, where it would be too brutal to end most games by expiration. <hr /></blockquote>Where would you get a clock like that? <hr /></blockquote>
They had them at the last BWA WorldCup 3-Cushion tourney in Las Vegas, so the easy answer is from that organization. I think that it should be pretty easy to build one or given a display that could be run from a PC to write a program. The main problem would be to make a good user interface.