PDA

View Full Version : Chris Loar-'04 Virginia State 9-Ball Champion

RailbirdJAM
07-26-2004, 11:19 AM
Just got back from The Playing Field in Richmond, Virginia, to see Chris Loar of Fredericksburg, Virginia, win first place at the Virginia State 9-Ball Championship, July 24-25, 2004.

Chris runs a pool room in Fredericksburg and has won several regional events as well as a bar-box tourney held at the traditional Allen Hopkins' Super Billiards Expo in Valley Forge!

The Virginia State 9-ball tourney hasn't been held in years, and Josh Dickerson, a native Virginian, decided it was time to bring back this tradition. The tournament filled up with a perfect 64-player field with no byes. The first- and second-place trophies were beautiful, made of oak from a 100-plus-year-old Virginia oak tree that had to be cut down prematurely.

Camel Cigarettes generously sponsored this tournament by paying the $500 entry fee to the upcoming 2004 U.S. Open in Virginia Beach to the first-place winner, which was very much appreciated by all. Camel Cigarettes came in and set up a kiosk with two beautiful Camel Girls who handed out free gifts to some interested patrons. There won't be a smoking ban in Commonwealth of Virginia, the tobacco State, any time soon. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Chris Loar won $900 plus a free entry to the Open for first place, AND a BEAUTIFUL trophy plaque shaped like the State of Virginia, a real keepsake. Keith McCready came in second and also received that wonderful trophy plaque and earned $700 for his performance.

Congratulations, Chris Loar, the new Virginia State 9-Ball Champion. Look for this guy to make some waves at the Open!

RailbirdJAM

Wally_in_Cincy
07-26-2004, 12:14 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote RailbirdJAM:</font><hr> ....Camel Cigarettes came in and set up a kiosk with two beautiful Camel Girls who handed out free gifts to some interested patrons.....<hr /></blockquote>

They were at Oktoberfest Cincinnati last year. You had to show your ID twice, sign a waiver, they scanned your driver's license, then you had to show your ID again to get in the tent where they passed out the "gifts". It was worth it I guess for 2 free packs of smokes /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I hope Keith gets revenge against Mr. Loar in Sept. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

nineballcc
07-26-2004, 01:06 PM
If Chris can come to the Planet-Pool event at the Playing Field in Richmond this coming weekend, maybe Keith will get his revenge there!

JMD in VA
07-26-2004, 01:52 PM
Just wanted to say...

Thank you to all who participated in the Inaugural Virginia State 9 Ball Championships. Without everyone's support, it would not have been as big a success as it was. A special thanks to CAMEL for the U S Open entry fee, Todd Elkins from Todd's Cue and Pro Shop for having his lathe there all weekend doing repairs, The Playing Field for allowing me to have the Tournament there, Brian Keller (Brian in VA) for making the beautiful WALNUT trophies, Inside Pool Magazine for covering the tournament and last but not least all 64 participants who made this tournament a success! My congrats to our Champion, Chris Loar and our Runner up Keith McCready for their superb play this weekend and I wish them the best of luck in the Open and I will be there to cheer them both on! My thanks again to everyone and I hope to see you next year at the 2005 VA State 9 Ball Championships!

Joshua M. Dickerson
Tournament Director/ Promoter

cycopath
07-26-2004, 02:20 PM
Take any pics, JAM?

RailbirdJAM
07-26-2004, 02:28 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JMD in VA:</font><hr>Thank you to all who participated in the Inaugural Virginia State 9 Ball Championships. Without everyone's support, it would not have been as big a success as it was. A special thanks to CAMEL for the U S Open entry fee, Todd Elkins from Todd's Cue and Pro Shop for having his lathe there all weekend doing repairs, The Playing Field for allowing me to have the Tournament there, Brian Keller (Brian in VA) for making the beautiful WALNUT trophies, Inside Pool Magazine for covering the tournament and last but not least all 64 participants who made this tournament a success!<hr /></blockquote>

Josh, I really had a great time at The Playing Field, catching up on all the smut from the old Triple Triangle on Broad Street, as well as meeting some new folks. The tournament ran as smooth as butter! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

AND I am currently looking at Keith's WALNUT trophy plaque and am proud as punch that he made it to the finals.

The staff at The Playing Field were friendly and provided quick service, and the food was stupendous, especially that award-winning chili! A lot of folks were wearing Todd's Cues T-shirts, and a couple of fellows proudly showed me their custom-made Todd cues with the parrot emblem. They were absolutely gorgeous (IMO).

BTW, I saw you hitting 'em around after the tournament was over, and you seem to run 6 or 7 balls without so much as a blink. Hope to see YOU on the tournament trail soon. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I'm looking forward to the 2005 Virginia State 9-Ball Championship. Thanks again for making this tournament a reality!

RailbirdJAM

RailbirdJAM
07-26-2004, 02:35 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cycopath:</font><hr> Take any pics, JAM? <hr /></blockquote>

Cycopath, I forgot to bring my camera and am really regretting it.

HOWEVER, I did meet a writer from InsidePOOL there, and there will be coverage of the 2004 Virginia State 9-Ball Championship tournament in an upcoming issue. She took some pictures, too! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

RailbirdJAM

Frank_Glenn
07-26-2004, 02:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote RailbirdJAM:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote cycopath:</font><hr> Take any pics, JAM? <hr /></blockquote>

Cycopath, I forgot to bring my camera and am really regretting it.

HOWEVER, I did meet a writer from InsidePOOL there, and there will be coverage of the 2004 Virginia State 9-Ball Championship tournament in an upcoming issue. She took some pictures, too! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

RailbirdJAM <hr /></blockquote>

There are some pix up on www.frankglenn.com (http://www.frankglenn.com), but they didn't come out as well as I had hoped due to the poor lighting, and camera shake.

RailbirdJAM
07-26-2004, 02:48 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nineballcc:</font><hr> If Chris can come to the Planet-Pool event at the Playing Field in Richmond this coming weekend, maybe Keith will get his revenge there! <hr /></blockquote>

Fredericksburg is only a hour or so from Richmond, and I hope Chris can make it. When he shoots the balls in, you can actually hear the balls SMACK the back side of the pockets! He really put on a good showing at the Virginia State 9-Ball Championship!

Keith and I are both looking forward to this coming weekend. There's quite a few little friendly grudge matches in the making, to include Pookie! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

We're staying at the Marriott, 6 miles down West Broad, CeCe, but I heard from Brandon S. that the Quality Inn, almost across the street from The Playing Field, was very nice with reasonable rates.

Thanks to Nick Prinsloo and the rest of the Planet Pool 9-Ball Tour staff, pictures of ALL events are on the website: Planet Pool 9-Ball Tour website (http://www.pooltour.com)

RailbirdJAM

Brian in VA
07-26-2004, 07:10 PM
Railbird
Very nice write up! I greatly enjoyed playing in the tournament, making the trophies and most of all, watching some terrific 9 ball. It was a wonderful event and JMD did a great job running the event, well done Josh.

It was great meeting you and Keith and getting a chance to spend some time with good people that love this great game.
See you in Va Beach.

Brian in VA