PDA

View Full Version : Cliff Joyner - Matchup in Atlanta

JayCee
07-26-2004, 12:27 PM
This past weekend I stopped by Mr. Cues Friday night just to meet an old friend in a equally convenient place. While sitting and talking, I noticed a guy at a table just hitting balls around. I begin to watch him b/c I'd never seen him around before. As I continued to watch, I noticed he had an excellent smooth stroke and his line up to the shot looked perfect. This guy was just hitting balls with no rhyme or reason, but was doing amazing things with the cue ball. His shots were splitting center pocket - NO RATTLES. I watched him for approx another 15 min and said to myself and my friend, this guy is here for action and will probably be matching up with someone to play 9-ball. I was right about the matchup but wrong about the game.

Shortly after, a solid B-/B+ 9-ball player matched up with him and began playing a game called one pocket. The matchup was 10-6. I don't know anything about the game other than the obvious, all your balls have to be made in your pocket and the same for your opponent. As I watched, this guy was making incredible table length banks and two rail banks. He even came very close on making 3-rail banks. His safeties were awesome - he kept his opponent frozen to balls. Once he had an open shot, he ran the entire rack. Have any of you ever seen somone run a rack in one pocket while making it look effortless? This obviously requires pure excellent skill. Not only did he have to make the shot, but he had to get position to make every shot in the same pocket. On several occasions, what appeared to be an impossible and unnatural bank somehow fell. It was like the original travel path of the object ball was altered. I was told he was spinning the cue ball, which spins the object ball to cause it take a different path.to fall. After asking around, I found out his name and was told he was a pro and was one of the top 3 one pocket players in the country. Is this true?

I thought that if he could run a rack in one pocket, his 9-ball game would be up there with the other pros. I was told just b/c he plays one pocket well doesn’t mean he’ll be able to play 9-ball well b/c they’re two totally different games and are played differently. I was also told, he doesn’t compete well in 9ball when playing other top pros. Is this true?

It was great seeing someone of his caliber play. I only wished I had seen him play 9-ball.

Until next time,

JC

Tom_In_Cincy
07-26-2004, 01:13 PM
Cliff Joyner is a well respected 1Pkt player, and has been for years.
If you're interested in this great game go to www.onepocket.org (http://www.onepocket.org) and read some good articles about the game and register for the forum. Good reading all the same.
I have seen (and done it a few times myself) many 8 and out runs in 1Pkt. It is not a common occurence but does happen.

Leviathan
07-26-2004, 07:31 PM
That sounds like quite a show! I wouldn't bet the farm on the idea that Joyner is a one-game player, though; I think he won both the 8-Ball and 9-Ball events at this year's US Bar Table Championships. I believe he had a win over Parica in the 9-Ball event.

AS

Sid_Vicious
07-26-2004, 10:23 PM
Lanky and lean, wearing a cap most likely? Yea I've seen his stroke. The opponent in a 9-ball stop here had the second place guy conceding to him with 4 balls left on the table...dat's respect~~~sid

Pizza Bob
07-27-2004, 06:14 AM
Yeah, I saw Cliff play in Vegas, at the Cue Club. He was playing Toby (one of the owners) and Toby had Cliff stuck 8 games @ many jellybeans per game. I watched as Cliff battled back to even. It was just amazing - first to think that he was stuck 8 racks, but then to see him come back from it. One hell of of a 1-P player. It's always enjoyable to watch something done right.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Wally_in_Cincy
07-27-2004, 06:52 AM
Cliff Joyner finished second to Rodney Morris at the Sands Regency Open last month in Reno in a strong field.

I reckon he can play a little 9-ball.

JayCee
07-27-2004, 07:54 AM
He was wearing a hat...his game is truly respected if someone concede's with 4 balls left in 9-ball.

It appears to me that the top male players move the cue ball around a lot differently than female players. The reason I say this is b/c I've had the opportunity of seeing Helena Thornfeldt and Monica Webb play several times as well as seeing Jeanette Lee and Allison play a couple times. Each of the women have a similar style while the men play different. Have you noticed this. I think the men use more spin, where as the women play natural position and stun shots.

Scott Lee
07-27-2004, 10:17 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JayCee:</font><hr> where as the women play natural position and stun shots. <hr /></blockquote>

...which is exactly what YOU should be doing, Johnny! Practice what you paid me to teach you! Sidespin comes AFTER you master the vertical axis, NOT before. The last time we played, you were still not on top of this...no disrepect intended!

Scott Lee

woody_968
07-27-2004, 10:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JayCee:</font><hr> I was told just b/c he plays one pocket well doesn’t mean he’ll be able to play 9-ball well b/c they’re two totally different games and are played differently. <hr /></blockquote>

True the games are played differently. But I can tell you good one pocket player will adapt to nine ball much faster than a good nine ball player will adapt to one pocket.

JayCee
07-27-2004, 02:47 PM
Scott,

You're right about me not being on top of it. I actually need to speak with you about some of those exercises. Lately, I've been struggling with my stroke so much that it doesn't matter what I practice, I don't get a positive end result. Let me know when you're avail.

Until next time,

JC

nhp
07-27-2004, 04:01 PM
They say Cliff Joyner is the best 1-pocket player in the world, next to Efren. Cliff might need a ball from Efren, but he plays good enough to hang in there playing him even. Those two guys are leagues above the rest when it comes to that game.

Chris Cass
07-27-2004, 04:38 PM
ALRIGHT,

This makes me really happy. My bud Jesse told me I shot a one pocket shot once like Cliff. I said, who? I'd like to watch him play sometime. I'm glad really, I thought it was a dig but it was a compliment. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

You know the last time I went to Vegas I played some at the Cue Club. One of my best friends and future Pool hall/ Wedding chappel partner sent me what is my favorite T-shirt from the Cue Club. I still wear it all the time and I think I'm needing a new one. I'll freak if I ever ruin it.

I also wore it at the last Open in VA. Keith McCready' sweety told me that the Cue Club is his favorite place to go when in Vegas. She loved my T-shirt too. So, if anyone wants to make best buds with Keith then, send him one for Xmas. Just don't mention I had anything to do with it. Out of all the people I've met in Va. as far as the pros go. I think the most friendly and extremely approachable were, Keith and his woman, Grady and Misses, and Tony even though he wasn't there was really great. Gotta love these people. You just have to meet with them.

Regards,

C.C.~~misses RIP.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Nostroke
07-27-2004, 07:34 PM
Funny you should say that, Efren gave Cliff a ball at the DCC, race to 5 or more i think- It went Hill Hill, Efren took it.

Scott Lee
07-27-2004, 09:11 PM
JayCee...I'll be coming through Atlanta around the last week in August.

Scott Lee

NH_Steve
07-28-2004, 04:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Nostroke:</font><hr> Funny you should say that, Efren gave Cliff a ball at the DCC, race to 5 or more i think- It went Hill Hill, Efren took it. <hr /></blockquote> Race to eight -- Efren took it 8-6. Great match to watch, incredible One Pocket!!

BillPorter
07-28-2004, 05:53 AM
I saw a bit of that match. I'd love to have that one on video!

piglit
07-28-2004, 10:39 AM
I secon the reckon.

-piga
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> Cliff Joyner finished second to Rodney Morris at the Sands Regency Open last month in Reno in a strong field.

I reckon he can play a little 9-ball. <hr /></blockquote>