PDA

View Full Version : Wrap or no Wrap?

rooster
07-27-2004, 02:40 PM
I've been playing for 17 yrs. with a wrap always loved it felt great real comfortable now it seems that a cue with no wrap feels better. Although my hand slides a little when i make my final stroke. I just wonder if it will effect my cue ball control. All feedback is appreciated. Thank you

Bob_Jewett
07-27-2004, 03:08 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rooster:</font><hr> I've been playing for 17 yrs. with a wrap always loved it felt great real comfortable now it seems that a cue with no wrap feels better. Although my hand slides a little when i make my final stroke. I just wonder if it will effect my cue ball control. All feedback is appreciated. Thank you <hr /></blockquote>
Many wraps are far more slippery than the typical wood finish on unwrapped cue sticks. I think your hand shouldn't slip. Carom players use roll-on rubber wraps.

woody_968
07-27-2004, 03:20 PM
No wrap. I hate wrap. All that boom boom boom, and the fast talking that I cant understand. Oops, thought you was talkin bout music /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I played with no wrap for many years and have in the last year changed to a wrap. I can play with either, but my hands dont tend to sweat. I think for those with sweaty hands they may like a wrap better, as moisture could make the cue slide more with no wrap.

rooster
07-27-2004, 03:23 PM
Yes i agree that an irish linen wrap for me gets moist and slippery. But i was using an old mcdermott cue with a nylon wrap and it was like a super grip. It just got to be uncomfortable will i lose any control because i gave up my grip? Thank you for your reply Bob.

tateuts
07-27-2004, 03:37 PM
Linen is actually the slippery wrap - it allows your hand to slide.

Modern wrapless with the urethane finishes are sticky and make slipping the cue difficult.

Personally, I like leather. It's kind of in-between.

Chris

BLACKHEART
07-27-2004, 04:12 PM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gifProbably 3/4 of the Qs that I make are WITHOUT a wrap. They are very popular...JER

Rod
07-27-2004, 04:37 PM
If your hand slips before c/b contact it can or will effect c/b control. It changes the cue and arm position you set at address. You/we/they/I, rely on that impact position for best control.

If your hand is slipping I must compliment you for having a soft grip. But you really don't want it to slip, although if it does after it goes through the c/b it doesn't make any difference.

Rod

Chris Cass
07-27-2004, 04:52 PM
Hi Rooster,

Get anything except a nylon wrap. Nylon is nasty imho. It'll burn your hand if anything. I saw a Schon with Nylon wrap on it last week. Couldn't believe anyone would put a Nylon wrap on a cue and unheard of on a fine cue such as a Schon. JAT

Go with what makes your stroke right to you. For me the hands don't sweat much so basically I can adapt. It does limit the wrist action for me a bit but, bottom line is, every change is just a trade off in some areas.

Regards,

C.C.

Cane
07-27-2004, 04:55 PM
All of my cues have wraps of one kind or another, linen, leather, stacked leather, but it really makes no difference to me. I have an arm span somewhat like that of a condor (78" finger tip to finger tip), so I'm off the wrap even on my 60" cue.

Bob

PBat51
07-27-2004, 08:29 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BLACKHEART:</font><hr> /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gifProbably 3/4 of the Qs that I make are WITHOUT a wrap. They are very popular...JER <hr /></blockquote>

They do seem to be the "in" thing right now.

catscradle
07-28-2004, 06:03 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cane:</font><hr> ... I have an arm span somewhat like that of a condor (78" finger tip to finger tip), ...

Bob <hr /></blockquote>

lol, I've a brother like that, gorilla arms, he was a hell of a fighter when we were younger (a lefty to boot). Still can't buy a properly fitting shirt to save his soul.

Wally_in_Cincy
07-28-2004, 06:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tateuts:</font><hr> Personally, I like leather. It's kind of in-between.

Chris <hr /></blockquote>

me too.

I have all 3 different types and I like the leather best. But my hands don't sweat.

cuechick
07-28-2004, 03:22 PM
I prefer no wrap...

shark
07-28-2004, 03:54 PM
I personally prefer a leather wrap, although right now I'm using an irish linen wrap. I feel that a slight, controlled slip at the end of the stroke is not a bad thing, I've heard it refered to as "slip stroke".

dg-in-centralpa
07-28-2004, 04:04 PM
I have several cues that are wrapped and one that isn't. My personal preference is wrapped since my hands sweat a lot.

DG

Cueless Joey
07-29-2004, 01:21 AM
Sans wrap (http://azbilliards.com/vbulletin/upload/attachment.php?attachmentid=2398&amp;stc=1)
Handle (http://azbilliards.com/vbulletin/upload/attachment.php?attachmentid=2399&amp;stc=1)
Well, these are wrapless. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
What do you think?
They shouldn't slip. Then again if they do, that'll make your stroke straighter.