PDA

View Full Version : Striaght stroke or wavy stroke?

rooster
07-27-2004, 04:52 PM
Has anyone but me tried copying the phillipino stroke? I've tried it and allison fisher's straight stroke. I mainly use the striaght stroke but i find with the other i can do a lot more with the cue ball. So i tend to use whichever one i feel is needed for any particular shot. i find when i use the wavvy stroke and dont have to i tend to miss the object ball but if i need to juice up the cue ball it works great. any one tried the wavvy other than me? If so what were your results?

woody_968
07-27-2004, 05:04 PM
If by wavy stroke you mean the up and down movement of the elbow, I never mess with it. For best control the less movement you have in the elbow the better. When I started working on not having elbow drop in my stroke my game really started comming around. I find myself occasionally starting to get a little bob in my when I am loose, but it normally makes me play bad so I stop as soon as I catch it.

Chris Cass
07-27-2004, 05:09 PM
HAHAHAHA Your crackin me up Shooter,

That's a wavey warm-up stroke but both have a straight final stroke and that sir is the key.

Regards,

C.C.~~does the pump and what ever is needed to make the ball. don't really know what I do???

1a2b3c
07-27-2004, 05:17 PM
mines wavy all the time but not on purpose. People actually try to shoot with a wavy stroke?

Rod
07-27-2004, 05:53 PM
Wavy stroke hell, mine waves to everyone. LOL I have a dip in my stroke, always have. Wave all you want but as CC says it's the final stroke that counts.

rod, thinks the last practice stroke is important too

pooltchr
07-28-2004, 05:17 AM
A straight stroke will ensure that the tip is headed where you think it is headed. This game is fairly simple. Why would you want to try to make it more difficult? There are some pros out there who, when watching them, you would think their stroke looks to be so flawed that it couldn't possibly work. They are few and far between. For the huge majority of us, straight and simple is the only way to go. I would never teach a student to try to move around like some of them do. At the same time, I wouldn't try to change something that works for an individual player. The best advise would still be to keep it straight, consistant, and simple.
Steve

Chris Cass
07-28-2004, 06:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> Wavy stroke hell, mine waves to everyone. LOL I have a dip in my stroke, always have. Wave all you want but as CC says it's the final stroke that counts.

rod, thinks the last practice stroke is important too <hr /></blockquote>

Well, so is putting the keys in the ignition but still, you can't drive without putting the thing in gear but still, the brakes? Now that's really important. LOLLOLLOL

God I love ya brother,

C.C.~~knows how important the final pause is. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rod
07-28-2004, 11:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, so is putting the keys in the ignition but still, you can't drive without putting the thing in gear but still, the brakes? Now that's really important. LOLLOLLOL
<hr /></blockquote>

Well, so is vision, you have to see where your going! ha ha ha

bluewolf
07-28-2004, 05:02 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rooster:</font><hr> Has anyone but me tried copying the phillipino stroke? I've tried it and allison fisher's straight stroke. I mainly use the striaght stroke but i find with the other i can do a lot more with the cue ball. So i tend to use whichever one i feel is needed for any particular shot. i find when i use the wavvy stroke and dont have to i tend to miss the object ball but if i need to juice up the cue ball it works great. any one tried the wavvy other than me? If so what were your results? <hr /></blockquote>

I try to get that straight pendulum stroke I was taught by scott and randyg. When i am unsuccessful, it is usually my alignment since I know that my instruction was good. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I have heard of different type of stroking like backhand english, but honestly, I am just getting the knack of a little english and getting my stroke refined, so to add a lot of different types of strokes I fear, would mess me up.

Laura

Nostroke
07-29-2004, 09:18 AM
Yes definitely wavy and then you want to introduce a jerky motion on the follow through as well. If you watch me closely you will see what im saying.

Cueless Joey
07-29-2004, 09:26 AM
I tried that bicycle stroke but I had to quit b/c I scared everyone. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif
Now, I bridge in-line ( at least I try to), pull the cue back straight and shoot thru the bridge hand with a straight follow-thru ( at least I think I do ).
I like to emulate Kim Davenport as much as I can b/c his mechanics make so much sense to me.
Oh, that Scott Lee, he's ok too.

66goat
08-01-2004, 07:02 AM
My stoke waves from side to side. My ferrule goes ever so slightly from left to right as I approach the cue ball. If I pull my right leg closer to my body it seems to help, but this is something I still haven't completely figured out. Any suggestions out there? Where can a guy get good mechanics instructions on-line? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

www.nineintheside.com (http://www.nineintheside.com)

Chris Cass
08-01-2004, 01:20 PM
66 GTO,

I think it sounds like your cue is too far under your body. Try shooting with your wrist, instead of your grip. Sounds confusing huh? I mean, move your wrist forward as your following through instaed of your grip hand. I believe, Jimmy Ried has a site that can help you out.

Regards,

C.C.

SPetty
08-01-2004, 01:34 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> I believe, Jimmy Reid has a site that can help you out.<hr /></blockquote>I believe you're referring to http://www.freepoollessons.com