PDA

View Full Version : Wrap feels gritty, what should I do?

woody_968
07-27-2004, 07:20 PM
Within the last few months I started playing with a cue that has a wrap. I recently noticed that there is a small prortion on the wrap (about an inche wide all the way around) that feels a little gritty, or rougher than the rest of the wrap. I dont know if it is just dirty or something else. I normally dont use powder, but occasionaly lately I have, could this have caused it? I would like it to feel as smooth or slick as possible.

Any suggestions on making it smooth again? I did a quick search and found a few cleaning recommendations, but thought I would ask some oppinions first.

Thanks

Rod
07-27-2004, 07:29 PM
I've cleaned ever wrap I've ever owned with denatured alcohol. Use light and go in the direction of the wrap. What you probably have is a scuffed area that might be rubbed down with brown or waxed paper once again in the direction of the wrap.

If that fails take it to a repair guy with a lathe. It just takes a couple of minutes to polish up the wrap. Or if you prefer let them clean it to.

Rod

tateuts
07-27-2004, 08:27 PM
Moisture raises the linen fibers, making it feel rough. The fix is what Rod said.

Chris

stickman
07-27-2004, 10:29 PM
Rod, when the fibers raise up from cleaning or moisture, I use bow string wax. A clean towel used in the direction of the wrap is then used to soak up and remove the excess. It does a great job of making the wrap lay down, but will feel tacky if the excess is not completely removed.

Jimmy B
07-28-2004, 02:09 AM
First of all a new wrap is cheap if it's that big of a deal, but before I did that I would just use plane old wax paper and rub it over the whole wrap then burnish it with a towel. After it heats up the wrap should look slick and smooth. Many cue people will tell you not to use wax or wax paper because it traps the dirt in, but I have never had this trouble, I love the smooth feel and wax all my wraps.

JB

SteveEllis
07-28-2004, 05:40 AM
I have a leather wrap so can't speak from experience, but somebody once told me to use Pledge the furniture polish on it. Maybe somebody else can comment on that.
I will say that I have one cue (my token Scruggs) with a linen wrap I bought it used and the wrap was pretty bad. I brought it to Mike Webb and he did some magic with a razor blade and the wrap was practically as good as new without having to replace it. So maybe you should bring it to a local cuesmith.

Chris Cass
07-28-2004, 07:13 AM
Hi Woody,

Definitely, it's the mosture raising the linen. I agree with both Rod, Stickman and Jimbo. Myself, if it's too bad I'd replace it. However, if the wrap is kind of new then, I'd use some 2000 grit from Walmarts car painting/ repair section. Where the bondo is.

This, I take and pass over in the direction of the wrap. Then, you can use a sealer wax if you like but, I don't like wax on the wrap and mine shines tons. I do hate that feeling of the fibers sticking up. It feels a bit rough like and like little balls, yuk.

Regards,

C.C.

SPetty
07-28-2004, 09:23 AM
First a question: Y'all say "in the direction of the wrap". How do I know what that direction is? Or do you just mean 'round and 'round vs. up and down?

But the main opposite question: I don't like the super smooth wrap. I think the one I have is called "double pressed irish linen". It is very slick and smooth. Is there a way to make it nicely and evenly rough or textured?

woody_968
07-28-2004, 09:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> First a question: Y'all say "in the direction of the wrap". How do I know what that direction is? Or do you just mean 'round and 'round vs. up and down?

<hr /></blockquote>

I was getting ready to post the same question /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rod
07-28-2004, 11:04 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> First a question: Y'all say "in the direction of the wrap". How do I know what that direction is? Or do you just mean 'round and 'round vs. up and down?

But the main opposite question: I don't like the super smooth wrap. I think the one I have is called "double pressed irish linen". It is very slick and smooth. Is there a way to make it nicely and evenly rough or textured?

<hr /></blockquote>

Spetty,

If you really want fibers raised, take a damp rag and wipe off the wrap. But if you really want to raise them-- turn the cue, starting at the wrap front with the joint away from you, usually counter clockwise. Work your way from the front to the butt end. Which ever way it is you'll feel more resistance one way and not the other. That is the damp cloth raising the fiber. Do so if you want as it will raise them and give it a texture.

If I wanted such I would do it light as a start.

~~Rod, likes a smooth wrap

Chris Cass
07-29-2004, 07:19 AM

<hr /></blockquote>

Look at the top of the wrap closest to the joint or forearm. You'll see the start and it'll wind around till the finish at the butt end. The direction of the linen is the way you would want to go.

Double pressed Irish linen is basically flatten'd and some comes with a plastic coating. Some cuemakers or cue repairers that inatall the wrap might use another type linen which isn't platic coated and some might sand down the wrap and then buff and wax after pressing.

I don't believe you'd like the feeling of the raised fibers. Maybe, you might like a leather wrap instead? That will give you more of a grip feeling. Maybe a textured leather wrap? Oh, round to round and not up and down.

Regards,

C.C.