PDA

View Full Version : Funny nicknames

Jimmy B
07-28-2004, 02:04 AM
While banging balls tonight the guy I was playing said he was going to need the GWB for his next shot, I had no clue. Of course until he reached for the bridge. That got me wondering. Over the years I have heard some strange terms in the pool room, most revolve around ca$h but as far as pool related tools goes I think the bridge has them all beat. What are some funny terms you guys have around the country for pool items? I've heard the bridge referred to as.

1) Crutch
2) Ugly stick
3) rake
4) bad position rectifier
5) Midget's best friend
6) Verizono (?)
7) Golden gate
8) GWB

JB

Wally_in_Cincy
07-28-2004, 06:17 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jimmy B:</font><hr> ...I've heard the bridge referred to as.<hr /></blockquote>

the ever-popular "sissy stick" or "cheater stick"

doesn't bother me what they call it if it helps me make the shot.

Chris Cass
07-28-2004, 07:03 AM
LOL

catscradle
07-28-2004, 07:09 AM
"ladies aide"

9 Ball Girl
07-28-2004, 07:39 AM
The "bitch stick" when I reached to use it to which I replied "and you'll be the bitch racking the next game!"

rocky
07-28-2004, 08:00 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> The "bitch stick" when I reached to use it to which I replied "and you'll be the bitch racking the next game!" <hr /></blockquote>
Now that is funny! I know this is a little off subjest but I heard a new term or was called one the other night. I playing a person that I have never played beore, and the balls just arn't rolling right for me ( plus it was a really crappy table, but we are playing for a "c" ) so I am shooting 1 - 2 shoots then hooking him. After a couple of times at the table this guy looks at me disgusted and tells me I shoot like a D#*% Jew. I almost hit floor laughing, it was to funny. ( and please dont anyone take offence to that remark )

rukiddingme
07-28-2004, 09:11 AM
Rocky,
Your reference to that remark IS offensive and I fail to see humor in it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif It is sad that you would even think to post it on this forum. Begging people not to take offense does not make it OK... GET IT?!!!
ruk

Cueless Joey
07-28-2004, 09:14 AM
I don't know who started the term Googan here, but it's funny.
Road Kill or road bump are funny.
Ben Dover is another one for money losers.
ATM Bob is classic.

Paul_Mon
07-28-2004, 09:40 AM
9 iron

Wally_in_Cincy
07-28-2004, 09:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rukiddingme:</font><hr> Rocky,
Your reference to that remark IS offensive and I fail to see humor in it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif It is sad that you would even think to post it on this forum. Begging people not to take offense does not make it OK... GET IT?!!!
ruk
<hr /></blockquote>

no big deal to me.

I think he was just trying to point out that there are still uneducated goobers out there that think like that.

you really would not like what I heard safety play called by one dumb hillbilly last Monday.

Wally_in_Cincy
07-28-2004, 09:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> I don't know who started the term Googan here, but it's funny.
Road Kill or road bump are funny.
Ben Dover is another one for money losers.
ATM Bob is classic. <hr /></blockquote>

How about lamb killer

There's a guy who played with me on an APA team. He played as a 3 and could barely win 40% of his matches. But he shoots better than the average Joe-Blow Friday-night bar player.

When folks who can't play a lick are shooting in the bar just for fun I will never get up to play. It's just not fun to beat up on somebody who really can't play.

But my aforementioned friend will jump at the chance. I guess it gives him an ego boost to beat somebody by running 3 friggin' balls /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

woody_968
07-28-2004, 10:13 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rukiddingme:</font><hr> Rocky,
ruk
<hr /></blockquote>

No big deal to me either. I play alot of pool with a guy that happens to be Jewish, he would fall out of his chair laughing the post refering to shooting like a Jew. He says it himself, because he plays VERY tight, he will lock you up any time he gets a chance and have a huge smile on his face while doing it.

cheesemouse
07-28-2004, 11:59 AM
I've always referred to it as the 'granny'...

Rod
07-28-2004, 12:53 PM
I can't even remember all the names it has been called, but I use granny myself sometimes. If you tell someone to use granny, you get a confused look.

rocky
07-28-2004, 01:09 PM
RUK, consider this an official apology, I am sorry if it offended you. I kind of took it as a compliment when he called me that!lol But my intentions were good, I just thought it was funny.
/ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Rocky

9 Ball Girl
07-28-2004, 01:15 PM
I've also heard it referred to as "el burro" which is Spanish for "the donkey".

NEMO
07-28-2004, 01:44 PM
I call it the Strickland Finger Extender......

rocky
07-28-2004, 02:59 PM
I think Earl should change his name to Inspector Gadget. Go Go gadget glasses, go go gadget fingers lol!

dg-in-centralpa
07-28-2004, 04:08 PM
Granny stick.

DG

wantsumrice
07-28-2004, 11:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Rocky,
Your reference to that remark IS offensive and I fail to see humor in it. It is sad that you would even think to post it on this forum. Begging people not to take offense does not make it OK... GET IT?!!!
ruk <hr /></blockquote>

No offense taken here either. It is funny to see the different names the "bridge" has been assigned.

Amongst my friends, we just call it the "[censored] stick". I can't even remember how that came to be, but now in our houses, there's a house rule where the bridge ( or [censored] stick ) isn't allowed. And I've gotten so used to not using it that I don't even need it anymore /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

~ivan

Chris Cass
07-29-2004, 01:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> I don't know who started the term Googan here, but it's funny. <hr /></blockquote>

To answer this question. I believe it was a friend and protegy of Steve Lipsky named Nick Shuman (sp?). Nick plays the open too and he's funny. It stuck with me and I kind of like the term. Too bad I feel I'm one too. LOL

Regards,

C.C.

9 Ball Girl
07-29-2004, 07:40 AM
That would be Nick "The Kid" Schulman.

Cueless Joey
07-29-2004, 09:04 AM
So what's a Googan?
Has a laminated shaft and laminated tip but can't draw the ball a foot?
Carries a 3 by 7 case, thousands of dollars worth of cues but can't beat the 3-ball ghost on the big table?
Knows the pros' cues, their nicknames, and is on first name basis with some of them?
Has taken lessons from 5 or more instructors including a pro-player for $1000?
/ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif