PDA

View Full Version : A question about leather wraps

BillPorter
07-28-2004, 05:49 AM
On the Internet I recently ran across leather wrap blanks (just strips of leather the length and width needed to wrap a cue butt) for just $6.00 (10 for $55.00). At that price, I thought I might experiment with doing the wrap myself on a cheap cue. Source of leather wrap blanks (http://www.cuesmith.com/main/accessories/leather/index.php)

The same Web site has a book on cue building with a chapter on leather wraps, but since the book costs $70, I am hesitant to buy it. Anyway, here's my question: Does anyone know the type of glue or adhesive that cue makers use when putting on a leather wrap? If I know what type of glue to use, I can experiment with ways of putting the wrap on and cutting it to fit. Thanks in advance for any help! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
07-28-2004, 06:29 AM
Hi Bill.

AZB has a forum called "Ask the Cuemaker" where Leonard Bludworth and Mike Webb and Ted Harris, amongst others, will answer questions like this.

Chris Cass
07-28-2004, 06:45 AM
Hi Bill,

Haven't seen your name in awhile. I don't have the answer to the glue question. I do know that cuemakers don't use a lot of glue and also that they cut the piece really close so no stretching is needed. If they have stretched it a bit? It seems after awhile the leather will tend to come apart at the seem.

I know some use a rig made by them to install the wrap. I've also heard that a majority of what they call leather is really, a high grade of Pig skin. Also, some calf skin.

Great to see your still around old friend,

Regards,

C.C.

BillPorter
07-28-2004, 07:10 AM
Hi Chris, thanks for the reply. I check the CCB site several times a day and read a fair amount of the posts. I just haven't been moved to post much myself of late. But this is the first place I turn when seeking good information about pool-related topics. I think I will take Wally's advice and check out the AZB forum, "Ask the Cuemaker." Somehow I had failed to be aware of that particular resource.

Hope to see some of you CCB'ers at Derby City next January.

Bill

ras314
07-28-2004, 09:46 AM
"I've also heard that a majority of what they call leather is really, a high grade of Pig skin. Also, some calf skin."

Uh, just got to ask what your definition of leather is? /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
07-28-2004, 09:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ras314:</font><hr> "I've also heard that a majority of what they call leather is really, a high grade of Pig skin. Also, some calf skin."

Uh, just got to ask what your definition of leather is? /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif <hr /></blockquote>

I always thought leather was cowhide. Pigskin is suede. Goat is called kid leather.

Cue tips are mostly pigskin, despite George Fels' column a while back called "Cowhide". Footballs are not really pigskin are they?

God, I'm confused. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Frank_Glenn
07-28-2004, 09:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ras314:</font><hr> "I've also heard that a majority of what they call leather is really, a high grade of Pig skin. Also, some calf skin."

Uh, just got to ask what your definition of leather is? /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Pigskin, cowskin, calfskin, deer hide, ant other animal hide or skin could be called leather, IMO.
14 entries found for leather. The first 10 are listed below.
To select an entry, click on it. For more results, click here.
leather[1,noun]leather[2,transitive verb]buff leatherglove leatherhell-for-leather[1,adverb]hell-for-leather[2,adjective]kid leathernapa leatherpatent leatherRussia leather

Main Entry: 1leath·er
Pronunciation: 'le-[th]&amp;r
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English lether, from Old English lether-; akin to Old High German leder leather, Old Irish lethar
1 : animal skin dressed for use
2 : the flap of the ear of a dog -- see DOG illustration
3 : something wholly or partly made of leather

Cueless Joey
07-28-2004, 10:07 AM
Bill,
Make sure the leather is consistent.
We like them around 21 thou per side.
What glue? Barge glue or the same exact glue they use for table cushions. You apply it on the wood and the leather, wait for 10 minutes then tack it in.
How to make sure the leather is flush?
That is a trade secret and a jig has to be made for doing leather work. The easiest jig to make is to make two out of phenolic tubes ( with a tapered holed and a slot).
Hose clamp it on the leather near the borders, spin the cue and start cutting the edges.
You just overlap the two pieces to cut the line parallel to the whole cue.
Ernie G. can do it inside 15 minutes. He has made an alien-looking jig in his lathe. He uses fast drying glue too.
Check Tiger products' site. They sell the glue, accelerator, thinner and polisher.

ras314
07-28-2004, 10:17 AM
"Footballs are not really pigskin are they?"

I think footballs are made of Nagua skins. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tateuts
07-28-2004, 10:29 AM
Tiger also wholesales the one piece blanks. His blanks are good because they are thin. He told me he uses a solvent based contact cement. There are a lot of tricks with leather wraps - I wouldn't suggest installing them yourself without some assistance from someone experienced at it.

Chris

BLACKHEART
07-28-2004, 10:59 AM
I think suede is when they split the thickness of leather, giving you 2 pieces,with each one having a smooth side &amp; a rough side...JER

BillPorter
07-28-2004, 03:16 PM
Great information, Joey! Thanks!

I'm about to decide to just pay to have a leather wrap put on. I hear Proficient Billiards does a good job.

BillPorter
07-28-2004, 03:18 PM
Chris, I'm taking your advice and abandoning my idea about experimenting with doing it myself. I'm pretty sure I'd just end up with a mess.

Big_Jon
07-28-2004, 03:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ras314:</font><hr>
I think footballs are made of Nagua skins. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
<hr /></blockquote>

Of course, the Canadian woods are full of 'em...

Thanks,

Jon /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

kenz54
07-28-2004, 08:18 PM
The skin of a hide is fairly thick so it is shaved off in several layers. The exterior of the leather...(the part closest to the air,lol)is called top grain. The bottom side of that first cut is called suede. Split leather is any layer not from the first layered cut. The further the split is from the top layer...the more fatty it is. So the Top grain leather is always the preferred leather.

Chris Cass
07-28-2004, 09:52 PM
Uh,

What they said. I've always thought it was cowhide but then again, I'm no cowboy baby. LOL

Regards,

C.C.~~true is I never really thought much about it. I was just trying to let you know my vast knowledge on the subject and now that I've emptied my thimble, I feel better. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif