PDA

View Full Version : Only in N.Y.!!

CarolNYC
07-28-2004, 07:42 AM
On July 7th, my husbands work car (an 89 stationwagon) was stolen from in front of my house!He reports it!
Yesterday, I get a paper in the mail,the car was recovered on July 17th-(10 days later)-and its sitting a mile from my house in a tow place-so its been sitting there since the 17th!
So, Im like "wow" and go get the car-I get all the paperwork done and the guy brings the car out!The car is in perfect condition and NOTHING was taken from it-tools,carharts,etc!The steering column is cracked and the little passenger window broke!
So, I drive it home-well, right behind pulls up a NYPD highway patrol and Im thinking 'now what",but he hangs a left and I hang a right and bring the car home-I get out,look at the car and notice 'Oh my God, I have no license plates",so, I call my brother, he's a cop, and he tells me go to the precinct and report the plates stolen, but get the car off the road or I'll get a ticket!
So I pull the car on the front lawn (cause the Eldorados in driveway)-I go to the precinct with all the paperwork and tell them I have to report plates stolen-the PO tells me I cant cause the car still has an alarm out on it and I say "No way, cause its sitting on my front lawn"
Well, after an hour and a half of fiasco, everything gets straightened out and I get the paper to go get new plates!But, I cant get the plates yet till a patrol car comes by and physically sees the car-that happens ~one hour later!
Okay,heres the odds:

What are the odds of driving a big ole stationwagon with no plates and a highway patrol car right behind you,not noticing?
Had this cop pulled me over,I woulda been arrested for driving my own stolen vehicle with no plates!ha ha ha ha!

What are the odds of getting a stolen vehicle returned ,in NY ,with nothing stolen?

Apparently, the cop who towed the car never ran the plates he didnt do right thing--yeah,NYPD on the job,ha ha ha ha!
Only in NY!!

Carol~happy to get the car back!!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
07-28-2004, 07:46 AM
what's the odds of getting the cops to show up in only an hour /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Barbara
07-28-2004, 07:53 AM
Geez Louise Carol!! Only this could happen to you and Jimmy!! Glad to hear all his tools were still there!!

But we BOTH had good news today, didn't we?! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Barbara

eg8r
07-28-2004, 10:16 AM
What a crazy life. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

CarolNYC
07-28-2004, 10:46 AM
Hey Eg8r,
It wasn't too bad-this is the first time the mailman came at 11:00 am-jeesh,when Im waiting for something in the mail, he never comes till,like, 4 in afternoon,ha ha ha-
By 3:30, the car had its plates /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Take care!
Carol

CarolNYC
07-28-2004, 10:48 AM
Yes,Yes, for those who do not know, Barbara once AGAIN hit the pick 4!!!!!!!!!!!Unbelievable!
Carol~will call Barb to pick my lotto numbers /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CarolNYC
07-28-2004, 10:52 AM
Actually Wally,
They have a pretty good response time-Im just wondering how a cop finds a car, gets the VIN number and plate off the window and DOESNT RUN IT! Like, whats up with that!
Out of this whole affair, what bothered me was when the cops pulled up to look at the car-instead of getting out and knocking on the door, they "whoop,whoop"
Well, excuse me for the rain!
Hope to see ya soon,Wally!
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Rod
07-28-2004, 11:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Out of this whole affair, what bothered me was when the cops pulled up to look at the car-instead of getting out and knocking on the door, they "whoop,whoop"
<hr /></blockquote>

Jeez, what a bunch of lazy a holes. lol I might have stayed inside and waited for one to come to the door. ha ha

Well it wasn't an all bad day I guess, you got the car. Now if you'd benn arrested driving your own stolen car, well-
Glad you got the car back with almost everything.

~~rod, knows what it's like to have a car stolen

eg8r
07-28-2004, 11:55 AM
LOL, I am happy everything is alright now. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif I would probably have been fuming mad if I was pulled over in my very own stolen car simply because the plates were missing. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

My mailman has no scheduled time when it comes to Saturdays. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif He is like the cable guy, sometime after 12 and before 6.

eg8r &lt;~~~doesn't know when the mailman comes during the week, but the bills are always there when I get home from a long day at work /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rod
07-28-2004, 01:28 PM
BTW, good things happen on July 17th. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

dg-in-centralpa
07-28-2004, 04:00 PM
Carol - glad you got the car back. Many years ago, when green stamps were still in use, I had a friend who used them in place of an inspection sticker. It worked for many months with cops seeing it but not paying attention. Oh well.... my town was once voted as the place to get away with murder.

DG

CarolNYC
07-28-2004, 04:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
when green stamps were still in use <hr /></blockquote>
Oh my goodness-I remember greenstamps!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
But I never thought of that use /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Thanks Duane!

CarolNYC
07-28-2004, 04:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the bills are always there when I get home from a long day at work <hr /></blockquote>
Isnt that a fact!!!
Carol~definitely can relate to that!STAY WELL!

CarolNYC
07-28-2004, 04:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well it wasn't an all bad day I guess, you got the car. Now if you'd benn arrested driving your own stolen car, well-
<hr /></blockquote>
Yep Rod,
It all turned out good!
I dont know why, but whenever I run into a problem, my mind immediately looks for a solution and then I think "what could be worse" and the problem doesnt seem that bad,ya know? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
In this case, never getting the car back woulda been worse case!!Im definitely grateful!
Carol

CarolNYC
07-28-2004, 04:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
BTW, good things happen on July 17th <hr /></blockquote>
I always believed in BIRTHDAY angels /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Thanks Rod,
Carol

Vagabond
07-29-2004, 04:39 AM
Howdy Carol,
This happened years ago when I was living two blocks Carnegie Hall.I went to see my friend in upper east side( 72 nd street &amp; 3rd Ave)I stayed there that night.Next morning I could not find my Red Corvette.I called the police.I was informed that they saw a guy trying to break into my car but they did not want to stop the crime at that point.To send the guy to the prison they wanted more evidence and thereby allowed him to drive a block and then arrested him.DA`s office wanted to keep my car under their custody to present it as evidence in the trial.Finally my car was returned to me after 4-6 weeks.u can imagine the inconvenience caused to me. Cheers
Vagabond

CarolNYC
07-29-2004, 05:11 AM
Howdy Vagabond,
How are you? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
east side( 72 nd street &amp; 3rd Ave)I stayed there that night.Next morning I could not find my Red Corvette <hr /></blockquote>

Wow-now THATS incredible!!!!!Cause I was thinking, the only reason why we got it back ,is because, its a WAGON!ha ha ha!
Had it been a corvette,such as yours ,or a Lexus,Mercedes,that BABY woulda been far gone...........stripcity!!!!Im glad you got it back!!!!!!

[ QUOTE ]
u can imagine the inconvenience caused to me <hr /></blockquote>

Yep-thats exactly what it is-an inconvenience!
You take care!

dg-in-centralpa
07-29-2004, 03:27 PM
Buddy you are brave driving a corvette around in NYC. I had a 1960 a few years back and would never take it to a big city for fear of it being stolen.

DG - only put about 1000 miles a year on that car - wish I still had it

SPetty
07-29-2004, 03:57 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> I had a 1960 a few years back <hr /></blockquote>I married a man with a 1967 Corvette convertible. He sold it to put me through college. Then he retired.

The right Corvette can be quite a lifetime investment! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

SPetty - wish he still had it <hr /></blockquote>

dg-in-centralpa
07-29-2004, 04:29 PM
You're right about the investment part. I bought mine in '78 for $4500 and sold it for $8000 in the early '90's. It was not original but fun to drive. I have two friends that have a '67 convertible with 19,000 original miles and a '68 with the same mileage. Both were offered large amounts of money but neither would sell. The guy with the '67 also bought a '57 vette a few years ago. They are fun to drive.

DG - dreams of getting another one

SPetty
07-29-2004, 04:39 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> They are fun to drive.<hr /></blockquote>I do believe, DG, that you get the "Understatement Of The Year" Award for that one! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Barbara
07-29-2004, 05:16 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> They are fun to drive.<hr /></blockquote>I do believe, DG, that you get the "Understatement Of The Year" Award for that one! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Here ya go GF,

I'll be driving The Beast to the Open. It's got the Corvette LT1 engine in it, but due to a computer chip, I don't get the 350hp a Corvette does, only 325.

We'll take a ride to the beach with the T-tops off just so you can say you've stuck your tootsies in the Atlantic Ocean. You might like it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Barbara~~~drives like a bat outta hell...

But a safe bat... /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

dg-in-centralpa
07-29-2004, 07:10 PM
Barbara - if you've got a 350 LT-1 engine, take good care of it. They are worth a few bucks. Last I knew was $3000 in the early 90's. Could be more now depending on how many miles are on it. Pray tell what kind of car is the Beast?

DG - loves muscle cars

Barbara
07-29-2004, 07:25 PM
Duane,

I have the last of the model year 2002 Trans Am with the WS06 package - Ram Air plus everything else that could be optional. It's a beauty to drive! I love the wide tire handling, rack and pinion steering and the Hurst shift linkage! Yeeeeehaaaa!!!

Barbara~~~no longer Mustang Sally... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif