5. Scotty Townsend, Alabama
6. T J Davis, Texas
7. Danny Basavich, Maryland
8. Tony Sulsar, Texas
9. Jimmy Courts, Alabama
10. Robert Clark, Texas
11. Tom Karalis, Florida
12. Scott Lockhart, Texas

55 players competed in this grueling race to 9 on triple shimmed Gold Crowns.

Shannon Bryant defeated Jeremy Jones 9-8 to capture the winner's bracket and faced him once again in the finals.

The finals saw Jeremy win the first set 9-3 and was leading 7-2 in the second set but saw the lead dwindle as Shannon keep pecking away at the lead and finally pulled off a 9-8 double hill thriller in the end.

Two of the pre-tournament favorites in the player auction were Scotty Townsend finishing 5th and Danny Basavich "Kid Delicious" who finished 7th.

Total purse and player auctions for the two day event was $9,400.00.

This event will repeat each month with the next scheduled event for June 1 & 2 "the Sharks of the Southwest II" presented by CJ Wiley and Roger Griffis and sponsored by Phoenix Custom Cues.

jjinfla
05-09-2002, 06:39 AM
The next time someone gets on the CCB and asks if anyone has seen Scotty Townsend lately we can all tell him. Ha Ha. Scotty sure does get around doesn't he. Jake

BillPorter
05-09-2002, 06:45 AM
I watched most of the tournament as a spectator. Just wanted to say that it was well-run and that Roger Griffis and John Machesney (sp?) were friendly and gracious as tournament host and tournament director. BTW, one of the tables was shimmed so tough that they finally took it out of play. Touch the rail and the ball will not go! Another BTW--one of the players in the tournament, who shall be nameless, told me midway through that he was pretty sure he would win the tournament. The reason for his certainty? It was because he was "the most fluid" of any of the players. Interesting concept...anyone else out there heard of fluidity as an important aspect of 9-ball play?

rackmup
05-09-2002, 09:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>It was because he was "the most fluid" of any of the players.<hr></blockquote>

Usually, If I have the "most fluid" over any of the other players, I cannot even see the balls. I also need a designated driver to get home. LOL.

Regards,

Ken (wants to go "on the wagon"...the one pulled by CLYDESDALES)

BillPorter
05-09-2002, 12:14 PM
Actually, it was Scotty Townsend. And he surely consumed more fluid than most, or maybe any, of the other players in the tournament. But his alcohol intake didn't seem to take much away from his game. He'd be my pick if my assignment was to take some guy into some rough bars and try to make a few bucks. BTW, sorry I wasn't able to connect with you, Sid, Spidey, Ward or any other Dallas area CCB'er.

05-09-2002, 03:52 PM
John McChesney did an excellent job of conducting the tournament and it shows that experience pays off. He is direct and to the point in expressing the rules. In the calcutta, Kid Delicious went for $650 and Jeremy Jones went for $575. Paul Guernsey played with as much "fluidity" as anyone on the table and he certainly had a good chance to win the winners bracket at one point. James Davis Jr. was a steal in the calcutta and played very well in the match where he defeated Jeremy Jones.
Unfortunatly, sometimes these tournaments are so cost prohibitive they dont materialize into much of a continuing entity for very long. They had difficulty raffling off any of the Phoenix cues, shrinking some of the profits they expected. But the food was great, ability to observe the games was generally good for a pool hall, no gate charge for the matches, and the competition outstanding for the first tournament. We all certainly hope next time more than 55 people come to play and the tournament does not become cost prohibitive. Pool, other than league play, is struggling everywhere-not just in Dallas.

Mr.Smiley

Retardo
05-09-2002, 04:45 PM
How could Kid Delicious go for more than Jeremy Jones? Had he been hanging around beating people prior to the tournament. Is Jeremy in a slump?

05-10-2002, 06:59 AM
Ken Rack, good idea. I suggest any wagon heading in the opposite direction. Bill's Friend

PoolFan
05-10-2002, 08:36 AM
Calcuttas are real funny sometimes. It's the auction mentality. Some people get caught up bidding on someone and it becomes a pissing contest instead of a business deal that makes sense.

I've participated, watched and held calcuttas up here in the northest and I find them pretty funny. I find the best deals of a calcutta is the open bid. It's odd, but the majority of the time the open bid goes for less than individual players and you get the pick of the field.

Recently, at the Joss Northest Tour Finals, the calcutta was done for the remaining 16 players. Players like Archer and Parica who were on the winner's side went for approximately $600. Some lesser known players on the losers side were going for almost as much money as Archer and Parica. How is that a good deal when the guys on the losers side only have one bullet left? Hence, my theory on auction mentality, "gotta win the bid!"

You can not judge the odds on a player based on the calcutta. A lot of studpid things happen. I like that though, because those nits are the ones who make the pot bigger for the ones making money.