View Full Version : Someone Please Help Me...

07-29-2004, 06:11 AM
This is driving me absoloutely INSANE! I keep getting these ads CONSTANTLY telling me my computer is infected with spyware, yet these ads themselves are products of spyware! I cannot access my e-mail inbox, every time I click on it, I go to some search engine page with no name, and get bombarded with more pop-ups telling me to scan my PC and pay 34.95 to remove the spyware. Isn't this [censored] illegal? These people are screwing up my computer, and forcing me to pay them to fix it! That's extortion!! I've already tried the ad-aware 6.0 scanner, which used to work pretty good before, but it won't get rid of all this new stuff. It's been a week since I've read my e-mail, because there is just no way for me to view my inbox without all this crap happening. Does anyone know what I can do about this? Please before I put a fist thru my monitor. Thanks

07-29-2004, 08:03 AM
What program are you using for email. Outlook? Outlook express? I dont know much about it, but have heard there is something going around that shuts Outlook down when trying to get email. I think it effects those on XP but again I am not sure on this. I believe there is a windows update to help fix it. If your using one of those programs you might check for updates on windows.

07-29-2004, 08:17 AM
If you do have Outlook or Outlook Express, turn off the "preview" option for the inbox.

I got an anonymous email that would shut down Outlook immediately. Once I turned off the preview option, I could click on it and delete it.

Sorry I can't give you explicit directions on how to do this as I'm at work and we don't use Outlook here. We use Lotus Notes. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

07-29-2004, 08:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> If you do have Outlook or Outlook Express, turn off the "preview" option for the inbox.<hr /></blockquote>To turn off the preview pane in Outlook, go to View -&gt; Preview Pane. It toggles the preview pane on and off.

07-29-2004, 09:23 AM
I agree this stuff is a big pain. I think it must have been developed by a friend of a former president of Nigeria who keeps sending me e-mail!

07-29-2004, 11:20 AM
Same thing happened to someone else I know. After trying everything, we finally backed up her personal data and documents onto an external HD, then re-installed the operating system (deleting all programs and the old OS). Then we loaded her personal files back on and re-installed her other software from original disks or downloads.

Everything's clean now.

07-29-2004, 11:45 AM
Nat, has your homepage been hijacked?

Anyway, first thing you need to do is to run Spybot S&amp;D or Adaware. (either one) Choose to fix all the problems they find. Be sure to do the online update before you run the programs.

then download hijack this.

Run Hijack this and PM the log to me and I will review it.

07-29-2004, 12:44 PM
I use Spybot and it works really well.

"We will never disarm any American who seeks to protect his or her family from fear and harm."

President Ronald Reagan

07-29-2004, 12:56 PM
Spyware Guard is a very good real-time scanner also.
I run it as well as Spybot S&amp;D.

Go here to run some security tests on your browser: