PDA

View Full Version : Jump Shot Help!!!

ABChad
07-29-2004, 09:30 AM
Hey all!

Can someone here help me out with jumping the rock? I've been trying to teach myself to no avail. I've been trying to follow the instructions (although fairly unsuccessfully with any consistency) from "the 99 critical shots in pool." Is there a better guide to jumping out there? What works for you?

My problem has been mostly angle... I think? When I try to pop the CB, I end up "pushing" the CB across the table in a straight line with some draw. Any advice?

9 Ball Girl
07-29-2004, 09:41 AM
Heide and I both received the "Learn To Jump in 5 Minutes" lesson with Tom_in_Cincy last year at the US Open and I haven't stopped jumping since! Neither has she! Thanks Tom!

This has been my experience with jumping and someone can correct me if I'm wrong but it's been my experience. First, you get down into your regular stance to see what spot on the cueball you would hit to pocket your object ball. Once you get the spot, then elevate the back of your cue. You should sort of be at a 45 degree angle. Somewhat. You should hold your cue with your palm facing out knuckles in, in other words you shouldn't hold your cue in a way that's going to make you stab the cueball. When your cue comes down to hit the cueball, make sure that you're not moving from the intended spot. You should strike in the area that you aimed when you were in your regular stance. Your tip should not be aimed at the top of the cueball which is what I think is what's causing you to draw it back. Hope I didn't confuse you. HTH

woody_968
07-29-2004, 10:00 AM
A little more info may help. Are you using a jump cue or full cue? How high is your current elevation? Where are you trying to strike the cueball? A few tips on what you are trying to do may help us narrow down the problem.

randyg
07-29-2004, 03:20 PM
CHAD: Call Jerry at Jerico. He teaches all five jump shots. Have a nice conversation with him, he can help...even over the phone....randyg

ABChad
07-29-2004, 03:33 PM
9BG-

Thanx for the advice... I'm going to go home tonight and try out your suggestions.

Mad. Bob-

After reading the previous post, I think I know what I'm doing wrong... after setting up my line of sight, I've been elevating the whole cue, so that the tip moves slightly up the CB, and the rear is at a rough 45. I think that 9BG is correct, and that this is what's causing the odd draw. If you have any other suggestions, I'd be happy to try them out as well!

PS> I have to admit... I've never given this shot any credit or validity before. I went hill-hill with a very solid player last night and he stuck me in a position where the only possible way to make contact (let alone sink the OB) was to jump over a cluster of his balls. It was my last ball before the 8, and I lost because I didn't know the shot. After that I want to do everything in my power to never be stuck like that again! Ahhh bsides, one more tool in the box, right?

Rod
07-29-2004, 03:59 PM
If you are getting draw no problem. If you want less draw or none you hit the c//b closer to the center. The center in this case is relative to the cue angle. Center axis moves with cue elevation. The most improtant factor in jumping balls is a very light grip on the handle, especially at impact. It usually changes for a lot of people because they try to force the c/b into the air. In your case as many you got the direct effect. You pushed the c/b with a firm grip. That traps the c/b and it either doesn't jump or it leaves the slate to slow to clear an obstructing ball. Think very light

Rod

1a2b3c
07-29-2004, 08:28 PM
Cant help you there, i cant jump, im white. I was hoping to learn something new to teach me to jump and between the 9ballgirl and rob i think i might go downstairs and see what i can come up with. I have yet to read a book that has helped though. Some white men just cant jump.

Chris Cass
07-30-2004, 08:52 AM
So,

You know where I can pick up a good trailer?

1a2b3c
07-30-2004, 06:08 PM
I can weld you up one this weekend. You want a flatbed or a stock trailer? Or you just wantin one of them homes on wheels type trailers. You gotta be specific. Trailer has many meanings when youre a redneck.

Chris Cass
07-30-2004, 06:53 PM
BAHAHAHAHAA

Your too funny bud. LMAO

Regards,

C.C.

Sid_Vicious
07-31-2004, 06:51 AM
"Are you using a jump cue or full cue? How high is your current elevation? Where are you trying to strike the cueball? A few tips on what you are trying to do may help us narrow down the problem."\

Ditto...sid

1a2b3c
07-31-2004, 09:56 AM
well if you wanna help me i use a regular cue with a moori medium tip, i think thats the problem there. Ive tried with just the shaft too. I strike the cueball somewheres around the top center. I try to pop it so i can get it to bounce off the slate but its just not happening. My elevation is somewheres around 45-67 degrees. I wanna jump damn it.

Rod
07-31-2004, 10:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
somewheres around 45-67 degrees <hr /></blockquote>

where did 67 degrees come from? who measured? what angle is this -- / ? when the cue is elevated, whitey jumps

~~~ rod, HTH

1a2b3c
07-31-2004, 10:28 AM
byrnes measured. Its between 90 and 45.

Qtec
07-31-2004, 05:24 PM
What you need is a jump cue with a phenolic tip. The hard tip makes all the difference.

Qtec

Rod
07-31-2004, 05:43 PM
Ah, I/they were jumping over balls way before phenolic tips. All they do is get the ball up a little quicker. Some how I don't see that as the problem in this case. Can you say Technique?

Rod

recoveryjones
07-31-2004, 09:08 PM
For sure phenolic tips can help but it basically boils down to( as Rod says above) technique.I know a guy who plays with a sneaky pete house cue(le pro tip) and can jump with it.

The first time I got my jump cue (bungee tip) I couldn't jump at all with the first 15 attempts.Once I successfully jumped once, I did it time and time again.I even got to the point where I could jump over a ball one ball width away(rarely, but it happened a few times) by elevating the cue use a dart stroke with a very light grip.I cant jump that high all the time, however, two balls away isn't much of a problem.

A very light grip for me was the key.I suggest trying to lighten up your grip.It's almost like throwing the stick at the ball and the stick bounces off the ball, then jumps. This cannot be accomplished with a tight grip on the stick as the jump stick has no opportunity to bounce out of the way, as the cue ball attempts to jump.With a tight grip the cue ball becomes trapped and can't jump.This is a finesse shot that can't be forced by hitting it hard with a tight grip.Experiment with the standard stroke and also the dart stroke.

I believe the bungee website used to have videos showing both strokes and other great jump shots, however their site seems to be down as they are soon to be under new management.Keep practising. RJ
http://www.bunjeejump.com/