PDA

View Full Version : Thank you ("moral dilemma"), and tipping revisited

heater451
05-09-2002, 07:19 AM
I wanted to thank everyone for giving their opinion about playing in tourneys vs. drinking/supporting a hall.

It seems that I'm mostly doing what I can, but I certainly will feel less guilty now.

BTW, I'm surprised and impressed that several people were concerned about tipping the waitstaff. My question was more directed towards supporting owners/locations, since I've always taken care of staff.

I myself have only worked a few jobs that included tips, and neither are good cases, but I still understand the importance of helping out those in the service areas.

One thing about percentage tipping, however, I do sometimes get a little cheaper, if I'm paying a ridiculous amound for food (like $20-up a setting), but I overtip when eating inexpensively, like at the local Waffle House(s). I think it makes more sense numerically, and I usually get better service at a Waffle House, than I do many upscale restaurants (although, certainly not always the case).

Anyone else out there overthink their tipping practices?

stickman
05-09-2002, 07:56 AM
I pretty much always tip approx. 15%. Like you, if I'm eating cheaply and getting good service, I'll nomally tip much higher. For instance, if I have biscuits and gravy and coffee for breakfast and it costs $4.00, I'll normally tip at least a dollar and maybe two for good service. The only time I don't tip generously, is if the service is bad.

Rich R.
05-09-2002, 08:06 AM
Heater, I have a very similar tipping pattern as you. For average and above pricing, 15% to 20% is my norm. At the pool hall, where I usually have a low bill, because I normally don't drink alcohol while playing, 25% to 50% is closer to my tip. Nobody complains and the wait staff treats me fine. Rich R.

cheesemouse
05-09-2002, 09:06 AM
I try to out tip my opponents both on and off the table LOL /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Cuemage
05-09-2002, 05:23 PM
Stickman...even though Cheesemouse & TominCincy (or was it Ken?)do a lot of animation, I think your "Introducing Stickman" is the best...good job

Tha Cuemage

stickman
05-09-2002, 05:38 PM
Thanks. /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif

rackmup
05-09-2002, 05:56 PM
way cool...

What would it look like if the stickguy were in the place where you have the pool table?

Just curious,

Ken

stickman
05-09-2002, 06:07 PM
<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/stickman32152/>http://www.geocities.com/stickman32152/</a>

I have to teach this little guy to stroke his stick. There is a whole lot of work to it and I haven't got it all figured out yet.

heater451
05-09-2002, 07:33 PM
http://www.stickdeath.com/frameset.htm

stickman
05-09-2002, 08:09 PM
The page could not be displayed. I'll check it later. I don't know if I've been to that one. Is it another death to stickman site? What do all these cartoonists have against me? LOL

JimS
05-10-2002, 11:00 AM
Hi Stickman,

I just went to your site and saw that you have the picture taken at my house of Scott, CC and Me. Problem is that "me" is Jim Sward, not Jim Stadum! Now I got a resentment!

Tommy_Davidson
05-10-2002, 12:55 PM
&gt; As far as tipping goes,I am uniquely qualified to expound on the subject. I worked at our local Domino's Pizza for 10 years. People that I have seen tip 10-20 bucks in a sit-down restaurant have been known to stiff myself and the other drivers,for bringing them their dinner in the rain,heat,cold,and with snow on the ground. Why is that? People in my town are a little hard to figure out sometimes. For example,I delivered to a very prominent local doctor probably close to 50 times. He lives in a 500,000 dollar home,and I might have got tipped a grand total of 5 dollars,unless his kids answered the door. On the other hand,another family that doesn't appear to have a lot of extra money tips the change out of a 20 dollar bill EVERY time,even on an 8 dollar order. Does that make sense? Unless you get bad product or bad service,tipping is just the right thing to do,especially if the person waiting/delivering to you is making an effort to keep you happy. In poolrooms,if you order a drink,tip the waitress the cost of the drink 2-3 times over the course of the day,they will remember you in a positive light. Tommy D.

stickman
05-10-2002, 01:29 PM
JimS, Please clue me in as to what is wrong. I'm at a loss to understand what the problem is. The picture in question is titled JimS, Scott Lee, and Chris Cass. It looks to be titled the same as the one on Tom's site.