PDA

View Full Version : Custom cues

nineball33
07-29-2004, 07:46 PM
I just bought a Mini-Q-Lathe an I wonted to get started on building custom cues.I ordered 3 but blanks @ 3 shafts from Atlas is their a better place to get my products from to build custom cues.I havent bought a inlay machine yet I dont know how the cue is going to turn out yet, being a learner is tough, any advice would be helpful

Daniel /ccboard/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Cueless Joey
07-29-2004, 09:22 PM
Daniel, what you are doing is assembling cues. Not making them. Before you even think about learning how to inlay, learn how to work a metal lathe and make your own blanks.
You also need to decide how you are going to construct your cues.
The only other places I know who sell blanks are Prather and Cue Components. I cannot speak of their business practices.
Atlas is very reliable.

Jimmy B
07-30-2004, 03:00 AM
Buy the hightower book, it's not great but it's good enough to give you some of the basics and a clue.

JB

Fred Agnir
07-30-2004, 06:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jimmy B:</font><hr> Buy the hightower book, it's not great but it's good enough to give you some of the basics and a clue.

JB <hr /></blockquote> Basic? Are you saying that 98% of what it takes to make a good solid cue isn't in that book? Shocking.
/ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Fred

almer
07-30-2004, 10:59 AM
Chris Hightower sells blanks for $7.00 plus all other supplies.You will in time find your own suppliers and make your own.What brand of cue lathe did you buy?

Jimmy B
07-31-2004, 02:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> <hr /></blockquote> Basic? Are you saying that 98% of what it takes to make a good solid cue isn't in that book? Shocking.
/ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Fred <hr /></blockquote>

Hey Fred what I am saying is that the book shows a few different ways to achieve a common end result. There are many refinements and *secrets* that many cuemakers developed along the way. That is what makes each cue different and makes cuemakers better and worse then other cuemakers. The small refinements and tweaks and other methods people come up with to do things that will make their cues *special* is what it's all about, but you need a starting reference and then it's all about learning and the journey. I'd say the book has 15% the journey is 50% and the secrets are the extra 20% LOL. Nobody knows 100%:-)

JB