PDA

View Full Version : Kerry sacks another foreign policy adviser

highsea
07-29-2004, 09:51 PM
First sandy Berger, now Joe Wilson.

Joe Wilson is the former ambassador who was sent to Nigeria by Cheney to investigate the British reports that Iraq was trying to buy uranium in Africa.

Wilson went on over 20 tv shows decrying Bush's inclusion of that intel in the 2003 State of the Union Address. He claimed that he had proven that the intel was wrong, and that the documents provided by the Italians were forgeries. (Which they were, but the CIA did not get them until 8 months after Wilson's visit to Nigeria, and Wilson never even saw them).

Anyway, the Butler Report and the 9/11 Comission Report both exonerated Bush and Blair on the intel. Wilson's own debrief from his trip supported the British suspicion that Iraq was trying to buy uranium from Nigeria. Even the Prime Minister of Nigeria spoke of an Iraqi delegation in 1999 that went to Nigeria to try to acquire uranium (though it is still unclear if any deals were made). The CIA did not consider his report anything new, because there was no smoking gun, and it never made it to Cheney's desk.

What's notable is that Kerry knew all about this long ago, as he is on the Senate Intelligence Comittee. The Democrats on the comittee prevented the comittee from including this in their report on Pre-invasion Iraq intelligence, because they did not want to embarass the Kerry campaign.

Also, it was Wilson's own wife who recommended him for the job in the first place, a fact which he still denies. CIA memos prove it.

So why does Kerry wait until the story becomes public before dumping Wilson? He knew Wilson lied to the public about Iraq's contact with Nigeria for uranium over a year ago!

http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/004/337paflu.asp?pg=1

-CM

eg8r
07-30-2004, 06:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So why does Kerry wait until the story becomes public before dumping Wilson? He knew Wilson lied to the public about Iraq's contact with Nigeria for uranium over a year ago! <hr /></blockquote> Where is crawdaddio, and his conspiracy theories on timing, when you need him. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

crawdaddio
07-30-2004, 01:25 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote highsea:</font><hr> First sandy Berger, now Joe Wilson.

Joe Wilson is the former ambassador who was sent to Nigeria by Cheney to investigate the British reports that Iraq was trying to buy uranium in Africa.

Wilson went on over 20 tv shows decrying Bush's inclusion of that intel in the 2003 State of the Union Address. He claimed that he had proven that the intel was wrong, and that the documents provided by the Italians were forgeries. (Which they were, but the CIA did not get them until 8 months after Wilson's visit to Nigeria, and Wilson never even saw them).

Anyway, the Butler Report and the 9/11 Comission Report both exonerated Bush and Blair on the intel. Wilson's own debrief from his trip supported the British suspicion that Iraq was trying to buy uranium from Nigeria. Even the Prime Minister of Nigeria spoke of an Iraqi delegation in 1999 that went to Nigeria to try to acquire uranium (though it is still unclear if any deals were made). The CIA did not consider his report anything new, because there was no smoking gun, and it never made it to Cheney's desk.

What's notable is that Kerry knew all about this long ago, as he is on the Senate Intelligence Comittee. The Democrats on the comittee prevented the comittee from including this in their report on Pre-invasion Iraq intelligence, because they did not want to embarass the Kerry campaign.
<font color="red"> Many things were left out of this report. But, you're probably right as to why this was. </font color>
Also, it was Wilson's own wife who recommended him for the job in the first place, a fact which he still denies. CIA memos prove it.
<font color="red"> I read the article you quoted, and the quotes I read do not cite memos that specifically prove it. </font color>
So why does Kerry wait until the story becomes public before dumping Wilson? He knew Wilson lied to the public about Iraq's contact with Nigeria for uranium over a year ago!

http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/004/337paflu.asp?pg=1

-CM

<hr /></blockquote> ]

All this proves, if true, is that another politician is a liar. Highsea, do you honestly think that this war was and is necessary? I think that is the real question. If you're of the opinion that the current administration handled this 'war on terror' properly and efficiently, then I guess this report helps you out. If you're of the opinion that Bush Inc. has wanted this domination of Iraq for quite awhile, then I don't think this will sway you.

BTW eg8r- I'm glad I'm a joke to you.

eg8r
07-30-2004, 01:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
BTW eg8r- I'm glad I'm a joke to you. <hr /></blockquote> CD, you my friend are not a joke to me. However, your questioning of timing is what was funny. I just figured you would continue with the theories and question the timing of this also.

eg8r

highsea
07-30-2004, 02:01 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote crawdaddio:</font><hr> <font color="red"> I read the article you quoted, and the quotes I read do not cite memos that specifically prove it. </font color><hr /></blockquote>From the article: [ QUOTE ]
And yet here, too, the Senate Intelligence Committee found problems with Wilson's story. "Some CPD [Counterproliferation Division] officials could not recall how the office decided to contact [Wilson]," its report says. "However, interviews and documents provided to the Committee indicate that his wife, a CPD employee, suggested his name for the trip." There's more: "The CPD reports officer told Committee staff that the former ambassador's wife 'offered up his name,' and a memorandum to the Deputy Chief of the CPD on February 12, 2002, from the former ambassador's wife, says, 'my husband has good relations with both the PM [prime minister] and the former Minister of Mines (not to mention lots of French contacts), both of whom could possibly shed light on this sort of activity.'"<hr /></blockquote> Does that help???
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote crawdaddio:</font><hr>All this proves, if true, is that another politician is a liar. <font color="red"> Yes, and who was lying? Joe Wilson. </font color> Highsea, do you honestly think that this war was and is necessary? I think that is the real question. If you're of the opinion that the current administration handled this 'war on terror' properly and efficiently, then I guess this report helps you out. If you're of the opinion that Bush Inc. has wanted this domination of Iraq for quite awhile, then I don't think this will sway you.

BTW eg8r- I'm glad I'm a joke to you. <hr /></blockquote>

My post has nothing to do with whether or not I think this war was necessary or not. I was simply asking, Why did Kerry wait so long to sack Wilson? Since he (Kerry) is on the Senate Intelligence Comittee, he was fully aware that Wilson was lying. Again, Why did Kerry wait until the story became public?

crawdaddio
07-30-2004, 02:26 PM
I know your post had nothing to do with your view on this war, but you have never really answered me on that, and I'm curious about you opinions on it. You don't have to answer if you don't want to.
Yes, it appears Joe Wilson is lying, but are you posting this for partisan reasons? I don't recall you posting a thread about GW's excessive vacation time, or him cutting veterans healthcare, or committee findings on Iraq intel. failure, or exception of key translations regarding 911 intel. from the 911 commission report.
As to why Kerry waited so long, I have no answer for you. Wilson was an unpaid advisor, I find that odd, I mean he's got to be doing it for something, right? Obviously he was providing some kind of info or help to Kerry's campaign, and he wanted to use him as long as possible.

highsea
07-30-2004, 02:59 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote crawdaddio:</font><hr> I don't recall you posting a thread about GW's excessive vacation time, or him cutting veterans healthcare, or committee findings on Iraq intel. failure, or exception of key translations regarding 911 intel. from the 911 commission report. <hr /></blockquote>If you would like me to discuss these things, by all means ask away. I'm happy to oblige. One topic at a time, please, and try to be specific. I should warn you right now though, if you are foolish enough to use Michael Moore as your source I will cut you to pieces! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Example: Here is one week of Bush's "vacation", from public documents available on www.whitehouse.gov. (http://www.whitehouse.gov.)

Monday, August 20
Spoke concerning the budget while visiting a high school in Independence, Missouri.
Spoke at the annual Veteran's of Foreign Wars convention in Milwuakee,Wisconsin.
Signed six bills into law.
Announced his nominees for Chief Financial Officer of the Department of Agriculture, Assistant Secretary of the Army for Financial Management, member of the Federal Housing Finance Board, Assistant Secretary of Labor for Disabled Employment Policy, U.S. Representative to the General Assemblyof the U.N., and Assistant Administrator of the U.S. Agency for International Development for the Bureau of Humanitarian Response.
Spoke with workers at the Harley Davidson factory.
Dined with Kansas Governor Bill Graves, discussing politics.

Tuesday, August 21
Took press questions at a Target store in Kansas City, Missouri.
Spoke with Canadian Prime Minister Jean Chretien on the matter of free trade and tariffs on Canadian lumber.

Wednesday, August 22
Met with Karen Hughes, Condi Rice, and Josh Bolten, and other staff (more than one meeting).
Conferenced with Mexico's president for about 20 minutes on the phone. They discussed Argentina's economy and the International Monetary fund's role in bringing sustainability to the region. They also talked about immigration and Fox's planned trip to Washington.
Communicated with Margaret LaMontagne, who was heading up a series of immigration policy meetings.
Released the Mid-Session Review, a summary of the economic outlook for the next decade, as well as of the contemporary economy and budget.
Announced nomination and appointment intentions for Ambassador to Vietnam, two for the Commission on Fine Arts, six to serve on the Commission on the Future of the United States Aerospace Industry, three for the Advisory Committee to the Pension Benefits Guaranty Corporation, one to the Board of Directors of the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, and one to the National Endowments for the Arts.
Issued a Presidential Determination ordering a military drawdown for Tunisia.
Issued a statement regarding the retirement of Jesse Helms.

Thursday, August 23
Briefly speaks with the press.
Visited Crawford Elementary School, fielded questions from students.

Friday, August 24
Officials arrive from Washington at 10:00 AM. Briefly after this at a press conference, Bush announced that General Richard B. Myers will be the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs and General Pete Pac will serve as Vice Chairman of the Joint Chiefs. He also announced 14 other appointments, and his intentions for the budget. At 11:30 AM these officials, as well as National Security Council experts, the Secretary of Defense, and others, met with Bush to continue the strategic review process for military transformation (previous meetings have been held at the Pentagon and the White House). The meeting ended at 5:15.
Met with Andy Card and Karen Hughes, talking about communications issues.
Issued a proclamation honoring Women's Equality Day.

Saturday, August 25
Awoke at 5:45 AM, read daily briefs.
Had an hour-long CIA and national security briefing at 7:45
Gave his weekly radio address on the topic of The Budget.

Sunday, August 26
Speaks at the Little League World Series in Williamsport, Pennsylvania.
Speaks at the U.S. Steel Group Steelworkers Picnic at Mon Valley Works, southeast of Pittsburgh. He also visits some employees still working, not at the picnic.

That's just one week. Shall we talk about cutting veteran's benefits?

-CM

crawdaddio
08-02-2004, 07:07 PM
The other side of the story (LONG):

[ QUOTE ]
He spoke last week in Boston at the Take Back America conference sponsored by the Campaign for America's Future. Here is an excerpt of what he had to say.

If you take a look at the Senate Select Committee intelligence report, it is hard to see how they conclude that somehow my contribution to this debate and my calling on my country and on my government to account for what it has said and done in our name has been anything less than truthful. There have been assertions made -- [ applause ] there have been assertions made that my wife was somehow responsible for my trip, as if it made a difference. As I remind people, this was pro bono and Niger ain't Paris.<font color="red"> And yet the committee that wrote this recommendation that showed up in the body of the report didn't bother to call the C.I.A. Had they called the C.I.A., as two enterprising reporters did a week after Mr. Novak's article appeared, they would have heard the official C.I.A. position -- which was, Wilson's wife had nothing to do with this. </font color> That was several months before I ever spoke out about my wife and anything other than hypothetical terms. They did not ask the C.I.A. They did not ask the head of the task force who made the decision, they misquoted a reports officer who came to see my wife after the report came out in tears and said, What can I do? And he has since written a letter, but his wife will not let him publish it, because they are afraid. <font color="red"> The report says that somehow my report bolstered the analysts' views and yet on October 2, 2002, three-and-a-half months before the State of the Union address, the Deputy Director of Central Intelligence gave the intelligence community's corporate view of this assertion to the Senate Select committee on intelligence. The senior -- a senior C.I.A. Official testified to the same committee that wrote this report, and what did he say? He said the reporting on this case has not been made. [He said] This is one of the areas where we disagree with the British. [He said] We believe they have stretched the information. Four days later, the Director of Central Intelligence called the Deputy national security adviser and said, I don't want the president to be a witness of fact in this matter, because the reporting is weak. </font color> They sent a fax the same day and they said, one of the minds is flooded, the French have control of the other mind, and we have already told congress we think that the British have overstated the evidence. The day after my article appeared, the president's spokesman came out and told the Washington Post those 16 words did not rise to the level of inclusion in the state of the union address. They have never taken that off the table. They have never taken that off the table. Who are they calling liars? Now, let me just say -- [ applause ] because it hinges on the debate, there are two reasons for this campaign, one which was exposed in the Wall Street Journal opinion piece. One is to wrap up this criminal investigation that's going on. In other words, their argument is, we have so discredited Wilson and his wife, that there's no point of pursuing who betrayed the country by leaking her name. Now, the same people who are involved in this cam paper, the R.N.C., the R.N.C., I remind you is headed by the President of the United States, the Vice President and with which Karl Rove has an intimate relationship. These are the same people called to testify before the special counsel and/or the grand jury, indeed, when the president testified, when the president spoke with the special counsel, he was accompanied by a criminal defense attorney. Now, I ask you, does this campaign against me not at least give the appearance of being interference in an ongoing criminal investigation by people who may well be the subjects or targets of this investigation? How dare they -- and how inappropriate in a country where we hold our government to the standard of rule of law. The second reason behind this campaign is one that is even more ominous, I believe, to us, and particularly as we sit up here and debate the future. <font color="red"> The message to all Americans from this campaign is, should you as a citizen exercise your constitutional responsibility to call on your government to account for what it has said and done in your name? Then your government will do everything in its power to destroy you and your family. Be afraid. Be very, very afraid.</font color> <hr /></blockquote>

http://www.democracynow.org/article.pl?sid=04/08/02/1428216

Man, that was long.
I have no comment, just wanted to post his words of defense.