PDA

View Full Version : Rules question

dewey52
07-29-2004, 10:44 PM
I have read this rule several times & I cannot seem to grasp what it says:
3.23 FOULS BY DOUBLE HITS

If the cue ball is touching the required object ball prior to the shot, the player may shoot toward it, providing that any normal stroke is employed. If the cue stick strikes the cue ball more than once on a shot, or if the cue stick is in contact with the cue ball when or after the cue ball contacts an object ball, the shot is foul. (See Rule 2.20 for judging this kind of shot.) If a third ball is close by, care should be taken not to foul that ball under the first part of this rule.

It says I can shoot a frozen ball if I use a normal stroke but later in the rule it says that if the cue stick is in contact with the cue ball when it contacts the object ball it is a foul. How can one shoot a frozen ball without contacting the cue stick, cue ball & object ball in one motion, therefore a foul? The physics of this escapes me, help please. Thanks, Dewey

Rod
07-29-2004, 11:08 PM
If the cue ball is touching the required object ball prior to the shot, the player may shoot toward it, providing that any normal stroke is employed. STOP

BEGIN - If the cue stick strikes the cue ball more than once on a shot, or if the cue stick is in contact with the cue ball when or after the cue ball contacts an object ball, the shot is foul.

It just says the cue stick can not touch the c/b more than once on a shot. It then means it's a double hit. Usually you only hit the c/b once on a normal stroke.

If a third ball is close by, care should be taken not to foul that ball under the first part of this rule.

Which means, when the c/b and o/b are frozen and it hits a third ball when the cuestick is in contact with the o/b, it is a foul. You would make contact with the c/b more than once.

Rod

PoOn
07-29-2004, 11:09 PM
you have to jack the cue up in the air...

Chris Cass
07-30-2004, 08:57 AM
It just means that you can drive through the cb or actually push through it but don't push to the point that the cue hits the cb after the cb leaves the cuetip.

C.C.

Fred Agnir
07-30-2004, 09:19 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PoOn:</font><hr> you have to jack the cue up in the air... <hr /></blockquote> I know many people say this, but it has never been any kind of understandable written rule. It's more of a myth or urban legend than anything else.

Fred

Fred Agnir
07-30-2004, 09:23 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dewey52:</font><hr> I have read this rule several times &amp; I cannot seem to grasp what it says:

If the cue ball is touching the required object ball prior to the shot, the player may shoot toward it, providing that any normal stroke is employed. If the cue stick strikes the cue ball more than once on a shot, or if the cue stick is in contact with the cue ball when or after the cue ball contacts an object ball, the shot is foul. (See Rule 2.20 for judging this kind of shot.) If a third ball is close by, care should be taken not to foul that ball under the first part of this rule.

It says I can shoot a frozen ball if I use a normal stroke but later in the rule it says that if the cue stick is in contact with the cue ball when it contacts the object ball it is a foul. How can one shoot a frozen ball without contacting the cue stick, cue ball &amp; object ball in one motion, therefore a foul? The physics of this escapes me, help please. Thanks, Dewey <hr /></blockquote> The simple answer is "don't combine the two statemenst, as they are addressing two different situations." That is, the special instance where you *can* be in contact with the cueball while it's in contact with an object ball is the frozen ball rule.

Fred

Bob_Jewett
07-30-2004, 11:19 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PoOn:</font><hr> you have to jack the cue up in the air... <hr /></blockquote>
Jacking up doesn't guarantee anything as far as double hits go. Jacking up is not required for shooting into a frozen ball -- you can use a level stroke directly towards the ball. If the object ball is close, even only 1/4 inch from the cue ball, it is possible to make a legal one-hit shot directly towards that ball with a level cue stick.

Bob_Jewett
07-30-2004, 11:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> It just means that you can drive through the cb or actually push through it but don't push to the point that the cue hits the cb after the cb leaves the cuetip.<hr /></blockquote>
It's important to note that the term "push shot" has a very special meaning in pool rules and a push shot is never legal.

Leviathan
07-30-2004, 11:39 AM
Would BCA Rule 3.23 be clearer if it were rewritten in this way?

Part A: If the cue ball is touching the required object ball prior to the shot, the player may shoot toward that object ball, providing that any normal stroke is employed. Part B: If the cue stick strikes the cue ball more than once on a shot, or if the cue stick is in contact with the cue ball when or after the cue ball strikes an object ball except as specified in Part A of this rule, the shot is a foul.

AS

Rod
07-30-2004, 12:09 PM
I'm sure it would. Many of their other rules are separated into a sub list as in a, b, c, etc. Why on earth they chose to leave it all in one paragraph is beyond me.

Rod