PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Cues

wantsumrice
07-30-2004, 12:04 AM
What is the proper way of cleaning a cue? And how often should one clean a cue?

I've just been cleaning the shaft with a damp cloth and burnishing it till it was dry.

~ivan

stickman
07-30-2004, 02:04 AM
I use a micro-fiber rag after every use. I seldom ever need to do a thorough cleaning. I only do this when it is apparent that the shaft is dirty. For a thorough cleaning I use the shaft cleaner from Cue Man Billiards Products. An $8.00 bottle will last a long time. I also use the shaft sealer from there too. It helps seal the pores and repels the junk that becomes trapped in the pores. After sealing, I use 8 micron burnishing film to create a mirror finish. The feel is similiar to a Cuetec cue. Some don't care for it. In that case, use 1000-2000 grit paper, with the grain, to remove the sealer off the surface of the shaft. The pores will still be sealled, and you'll still have the protection. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif http://www.cuesmith.com/main/accessories/index.php

Jimmy B
07-30-2004, 02:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wantsumrice:</font><hr>

I've just been cleaning the shaft with a damp cloth and burnishing it till it was dry.

~ivan <hr /></blockquote>

Sounds like you are on the right track. As far as how often?? Well that depends on how often you play and how clean you and the tables you play on are. Try to use newish chalk and keep your hands clean. You should remove chalk from the tip when you are done shooting, chalk in your case tubes wrecks your shafts. I whipe down my shafts every time I play. Also you can clean the butt section with a paper towel and some windex (just a bit) not the wrap area.

JB

nhp
07-30-2004, 04:23 AM
Use Pledge with no wax. I've tried every method out there, this by far is the best way to do it IMO.

Chris Cass
07-30-2004, 07:32 AM
Deep cleaning only two times per yr max. IMO There's many ways to clean the shaft but I think the sealing is the most important.

Regards,

C.C.

recoveryjones
07-30-2004, 11:02 AM
Mr.Kleens magic eraser works great for cleaning the shaft of a cue. I've never seen a shaft come any cleaner.

So far I haven't heard of any harmful effects of using it.Has anyone else?RJ

T_squared
07-30-2004, 02:28 PM
I read somewhere that brown paper bag material was a good way to smooth and somewhat clean a shaft. Just tearoff a big piece of the brown paper, crumple it up in your fist to put a bunch of wrinkle-lines in it, then straighten it back out. Wrap it around the shaft and slide it up and down while slowly rotating the shaft. After watching half of your favorite sit-com while paper-bag polishing , you're ready to head off for the tables.

stickman
07-30-2004, 02:55 PM
If you see the cues of people who rarely clean their cues, they develop a thin patina of a combination of sweat, body oils, chalk, talcum powder, and God only knows else. I would expect the paper bag would only burnish the hardened film, not clean it. I haven't tried it though, so I could be wrong. I'm sure it would work for burnishing.

Rod
07-30-2004, 04:19 PM
Hey quit talking about my shafts. lol Actually that magic eraser works wonders. As far as a brown bag cleaning, it doesn't. It will polish however.

Rod

wantsumrice
07-31-2004, 10:34 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote stickman:</font><hr> I also use the shaft sealer from there too. It helps seal the pores and repels the junk that becomes trapped in the pores. After sealing, I use 8 micron burnishing film to create a mirror finish. The feel is similiar to a Cuetec cue. Some don't care for it. In that case, use 1000-2000 grit paper, with the grain, to remove the sealer off the surface of the shaft. The pores will still be sealled, and you'll still have the protection. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif http://www.cuesmith.com/main/accessories/index.php <hr /></blockquote>

You do this everytime you thoroughly clean your cue? Or just once to seal.

~ivan

stickman
07-31-2004, 11:04 PM
I seldom reseal unless the sealer wears off. The sealer will take a long, long time to wear off. I have fine sanded the sealer off to remove dings or dents, then burnished, and resealed. The sealer helps protect the shaft against moisture. It's best to finely sand the sealer down to the wood before you try ro sweat out dents or dings. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

66goat
08-01-2004, 06:37 AM
An ex-pro told me to use a paper bag once for burnishing and keeping the ferrule looking clean. I use it each time I shoot and it seems to work well for me. It gets rid of anything that I may be feeling on my shaft during my stroke. OK, this is bording on a different kind of forum. lol...

www.nineintheside.com (http://www.nineintheside.com)

pooltchr
08-01-2004, 05:40 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote recoveryjones:</font><hr> Mr.Kleens magic eraser works great for cleaning the shaft of a cue. I've never seen a shaft come any cleaner.

So far I haven't heard of any harmful effects of using it.Has anyone else?RJ <hr /></blockquote>
I had a cue repair guy tell me about this. I tried it on my wife's cue and had it looking like brand new in about 5 minutes. Dried it off, and burnished it with a piece of leather, and it felt BETTER than new!
I'm stocking up on those things!
Steve

wantsumrice
08-01-2004, 11:36 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr>I'm stocking up on those things!
Steve <hr /></blockquote>

Haha, me too!

~ivan

wantsumrice
08-04-2004, 11:26 PM
How about keeping the ferrule clean? No matter how hard I try, it's got narsty blue stains!

~ivan

Chris Cass
08-04-2004, 11:50 PM
Hi ya Rice,

If you have a fiber ferrule? McDermott recommends a tooth brush and some white toothpaste. Add one drop of water and scrub vigorously. Then, quickly remove the dirt with a papertowel and rub it till it's completely dry. Quickly to burnish it so the wet doesn't get somehow under the ferrule. If it's a Meucci plastic type? Make sure you do burnish it very fast. They will explode on ya from expansion. I've seen it with a friend of mine. Man Rice, that was sooo funny. The thing literally blew up. HAHAHAHA He stood there just looking at it and then turned to me with this serious face. I just lost it. ROTFLMAO

Regards,

C.C.~~thanks Rice. That brought back a laugh LOLLOLLOLLOL

BillPorter
08-05-2004, 05:35 AM
I think the best way to keep the ferrule clean is to avoid those cubes of chalk that are used to the point of having a deep hole in them. If you used a chalk cube like that, it almost has to chalk your ferrule as much as your tip. Use new or nearly new chalk and just "paint" a thin film of chalk on the tip. Don't hold the cue straight up and down as the chalk dust will settle on the ferrule and shaft. As for cleaning the ferrule when it has gotten blue from the chalk, you might try Soft Scrub, just a couple of drops on a paper towel. Toothpaste also works. Hope this helps.

wantsumrice
08-05-2004, 11:49 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> Hi ya Rice,

If you have a fiber ferrule? McDermott recommends a tooth brush and some white toothpaste. Add one drop of water and scrub vigorously. Then, quickly remove the dirt with a papertowel and rub it till it's completely dry. Quickly to burnish it so the wet doesn't get somehow under the ferrule. If it's a Meucci plastic type? Make sure you do burnish it very fast. They will explode on ya from expansion. I've seen it with a friend of mine. Man Rice, that was sooo funny. The thing literally blew up. HAHAHAHA He stood there just looking at it and then turned to me with this serious face. I just lost it. ROTFLMAO

Regards,

C.C.~~thanks Rice. That brought back a laugh LOLLOLLOLLOL <hr /></blockquote>

LOL That's possible?? Good god...I might have to try that out...just to see what that'd be like /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif I'll try the toothpaste stuff tonight.

~ivan *[censored]...forgot to burnish the ferrule last night*