PDA

View Full Version : Joe Tuckers- Racking Secrets ?

recoveryjones
07-30-2004, 11:12 AM
In a perfect world every rack would be made by a referee with a sardo rack and/or every player would give you a good honest rack.The fact is this just isn't reality.Professional jib rackers can tilt the pack ever so slightly (to their advantage)if they know you have a favorite side to break from.Especially in 9 ball.

A local pro told me to do two things without fail.
1. Allways check the rack
2. Never concede anything, allways make them shoot in the 9 ball.

I allways check the rack, however, I don't really know how to read the rack.I've heard that lopsided racks can be to your advantage if you know how to read the pack.

Is Joe Tuckers racking secrets a great book? Can someone please give this book a review rating.Thanks, RJ

tateuts
07-30-2004, 11:45 AM
It is a good book. I don't know if it will actually improve your ball making ability on the break, but it will teach you what to look for in a bad rack. It teaches you how to read the gaps beteen balls. The book is hard to find.

Besides break techniques, I am coming to the conclusion that there are three very important factors in equipment breaking well in 9 ball.

1) Having a triangle rack that allows the first three balls to freeze up every time.

If the rack is too loose at the front, the 2nd and 3rd ball won't freeze to each other - not a good rack. If the rack is too tight, the 2nd and 3rd ball won't both freeze to the one simultaneously, with a gap between the one ball and one of the other two. This is a situation he advises to take advantage of because it makes the wing ball easier to pocket. Whena racks too tight a the very front, the one ball gets pulled loose when the rack is removed.

I know this will sound anal, but I bring my own rack with me when I play at the pool hall (and everyone borrows it from me, so I know I'm not alone!).

You want a triangle that is cut just right - it makes it wasier to freeze the rack and the first three balls are key, the rest you can freeze with your fingers.

2) The Cloth. This is the most overlooked thing and the most important. When a cloth is pock marked from ball tapping or just old, the balls don't break up well. It's like they're sitting in little craters and pop up into the air instead of banging against each other. Also, it's hard to get a tight rack when tables are this way.

Recovering the tables is the big cure, but racking forward or moving the spot a little forward helps.

3. Dry conditions - dry cloth and balls break better than damp ones - I don't know why but I suspect the same reason as #2 - the balls are sticky and tend to pop up instead of bang around.

Chris

Ross
07-30-2004, 02:33 PM
Tucker's book is a great little book! It really does teach you a lot about how to read racks and why they break like they do.

For example - does your opponent make the 9 on the break? If so, quick cursing your luck, and realize it was probably your own fault. If the two balls behind the 9 are truly frozen to the 9, it is highly unlikely to go in since it will hardly move. Of course it may be kicked in even when it stays parked in the center of the table, but this is rare.

Opponent leaves a gap between the 1 and one of the balls behind it? You may be able to take advantage of it. Tucker's book shows how.

I don't know if he still sells them on his website, but you can find it from time to time. And it is a small book and cheap, so get it if you can.

Barbara
07-30-2004, 04:23 PM
Ross,

His book has been sold out for a couple of years now. I keep trying to convince him for reprints and even doubling the price - $20 is STILL a bargain!!

I know Joe and have taken some serious lessons from him. He spent a lot of time and study into this book and I don't think anyone could find fault with any of his theories. Now that I understand how a 9-ball can go undisturbed into the corner pocket, it hasn't happened but all of 5 times since I've learned how to not let that happen. I'm not doing anything illegally, just making sure it won't happen.

And gaps in a rack CAN be to your benefit!

Barbara

1a2b3c
07-30-2004, 05:53 PM
good luck finding the book, ive been looking for awhile now with no luck.

woody_968
07-30-2004, 09:30 PM
It is a very good book, and if you get a chance to get ahold of one dont pass it up.

recoveryjones
07-31-2004, 02:42 AM
If someone has this book and wants to trade it for some instructional videos or 'My 99 critical Shots in pool" book, please PM me.Even if you only want to trade by mail temporarily.

The break in 9 ball is sooooooooooooooo huge for A players and up.Take care, RJ

Chris Cass
07-31-2004, 06:44 AM
Hi RJ,

I was fortunate to have a friend that loaned me the book. I read the book and worked with it to get everything down that I needed to understand. Being the slow person I am about reading and comprehension It took me close to 10 days. I quickly returned it and it's helped me get back into checking the racks.

I used to check the rack but all of the sudden didn't care to. I saw many of my friends killing me with their breaks and they've always checked mine. Finally, I found a small book that puts it in a nut shell for me. Grated, I knew most of it from playing straight pool however, I never really used it. There also were things I hadn't realized I needed to know.

I don't use the info in a dark way but I use it to cover all the basis. It's worth the read. I thanked my friend and will return the favor one day.

Regards,

C.C.

tateuts
08-01-2004, 08:43 PM
The publisher may have a few left - it's

Merrimack Publishing
717 South Main Street
Breadford, MA 01825

(978) 469-9311 Phone
(978) 469-9316 FAX