View Full Version : Phenolic tip and ferrule combination

07-30-2004, 12:43 PM
Hello All,

I don't know if any of you have ever had this happen to you, but it happened to me last night.

I have a Pechauer Jump Break cue that is my absolute favorite breaking cue.. A couple of months ago I decided that I would install one the Phenolic tip and ferrule combinations. For the first few times I used it everything was fine. Then last night happened...

I broke about fifteen racks, went to chalk up and felt something strange. I looked at the tip and saw a small line going across the tip. I figured it was just a hard spot in the chalk. I set up to break the rack, just as I hit the cue ball the tip and ferrule exploded into 2 pieces, and the shaft cracked.

I have never seen anything like this happen, and hopefully won't see it happen again.. I guess the moral of my story is, if you feel something that does not feel right when chalking your phenolic tip stop and check it out real good.

07-30-2004, 11:33 PM
I have replaced a lot of them, they almost all break because the grain so to speak runs lengthwise in the ferrule. Just put on a standard ferrule and a good break tip and forget about it. Those ferrule/tip combos are no good as far as I an concerned. I am using the white jump break tips, non phenolic but they are not leather either. They are by far the best I have tried. They break with power and jump with ease and you don't miscue. Check ebay for them.

07-31-2004, 06:47 AM
Popcorn...Are you talking about the Raven tip when you say "white tip?" sid

07-31-2004, 07:26 AM
I am using the White Raven tip and it is great. It out jumps and breaks better than my phenolic combo.I just had the tip installed on the phenolic ferrule.

07-31-2004, 08:47 AM
No, I have never seen a Raven tip.