PDA

View Full Version : Phenolic tip and ferrule combination

cueman1973
07-30-2004, 12:43 PM
Hello All,

I don't know if any of you have ever had this happen to you, but it happened to me last night.

I have a Pechauer Jump Break cue that is my absolute favorite breaking cue.. A couple of months ago I decided that I would install one the Phenolic tip and ferrule combinations. For the first few times I used it everything was fine. Then last night happened...

I broke about fifteen racks, went to chalk up and felt something strange. I looked at the tip and saw a small line going across the tip. I figured it was just a hard spot in the chalk. I set up to break the rack, just as I hit the cue ball the tip and ferrule exploded into 2 pieces, and the shaft cracked.

I have never seen anything like this happen, and hopefully won't see it happen again.. I guess the moral of my story is, if you feel something that does not feel right when chalking your phenolic tip stop and check it out real good.

Mike

Popcorn
07-30-2004, 11:33 PM
I have replaced a lot of them, they almost all break because the grain so to speak runs lengthwise in the ferrule. Just put on a standard ferrule and a good break tip and forget about it. Those ferrule/tip combos are no good as far as I an concerned. I am using the white jump break tips, non phenolic but they are not leather either. They are by far the best I have tried. They break with power and jump with ease and you don't miscue. Check ebay for them.

Sid_Vicious
07-31-2004, 06:47 AM
Popcorn...Are you talking about the Raven tip when you say "white tip?" sid

FATS
07-31-2004, 07:26 AM
I am using the White Raven tip and it is great. It out jumps and breaks better than my phenolic combo.I just had the tip installed on the phenolic ferrule.

FATS

Popcorn
07-31-2004, 08:47 AM
No, I have never seen a Raven tip.