PDA

View Full Version : Ivory ferrules

nineball33
07-30-2004, 01:38 PM
Why is ivory ferrules more expencive to instal than fibre ferrules /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Cueless Joey
07-30-2004, 01:51 PM
Because fibre ferrules cost only about a dollar.

Frank_Glenn
07-30-2004, 01:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nineball33:</font><hr> Why is ivory ferrules more expencive to instal than fibre ferrules /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Ivory comes from one end of the elephant, fibre from the other! The fibre is easier to get and costs way less.

nineball33
07-30-2004, 01:58 PM
i know the cost of each product but why is it more to instal no 1 wonts to really handel ivory ? is it easy to crack what is the deal?

Cueless Joey
07-30-2004, 02:02 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nineball33:</font><hr> i know the cost of each product but why is it more to instal no 1 wonts to really handel ivory ? is it easy to crack what is the deal? <hr /></blockquote>
Fiber is just pressed on.
Some makers prefer to install capped and threaded ivory.
That requires a little more work.
Ivory does break once in a while.

iusedtoberich
07-31-2004, 08:39 AM
Don't you think you should make more money on higher cost components? Any business SHOULD make a higher margin on items that cost them more to manufacture.

If you mess up a non-ivory ferrule, it is much less of a loss than messing up an ivory ferrule. Although messing one up is rare (I've only messed up 3 ferrules in 5 years of cue repair) the risk is higher.

The market also brings in a higher price for ivory.

When I do mine, the procedure is the same whether it is ivory on non-ivory. Many non-ivory ferrules are threaded and capped. This is not limited to just ivory ferrules.

Cueless Joey
07-31-2004, 01:28 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote iusedtoberich:</font><hr> Don't you think you should make more money on higher cost components? Any business SHOULD make a higher margin on items that cost them more to manufacture.

If you mess up a non-ivory ferrule, it is much less of a loss than messing up an ivory ferrule. Although messing one up is rare (I've only messed up 3 ferrules in 5 years of cue repair) the risk is higher.

The market also brings in a higher price for ivory.

When I do mine, the procedure is the same whether it is ivory on non-ivory. Many non-ivory ferrules are threaded and capped. This is not limited to just ivory ferrules. <hr /></blockquote>
Absolutely.
Also, the market has pretty much dictated the price.