PDA

View Full Version : Honest opinion on Meucii Originals

shoutout33
07-30-2004, 03:28 PM
Who has them and what do you think about them? Don't know why, but I've been looking at that Gem limited edition that he has available. Now mind you I'm NOT the biggest Meucci fan, but I have played with them before and it felt good to me. Go figure. Just would like some honest opinions is all people, especially about this "power piston" technology that they have and no, I'm not hung up on the Black Dot shaft either /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Thanks in advance people!

SecaucusFats
07-30-2004, 07:39 PM
I have a Meucci w/ a Moori III M that I use for league play. The cue hits perfectly well enough for me, and I have absolute confidence using it. Now I also happen to own a very nice custom cue that I absolutely love playing with. I also happen to own some other production and semi-custom cues but the Meucci and my prize custom are the ones I reach for.

The Meucci is from the pre red-dot era, and it came with two shafts.. both of which are still in pristine condition (including the original PVC ferrule). I have been playing with the Meucci for close to a decade and it is rock solid. Stay away from their heavily inlayed models though, Meucci's production inlay work is sub-par.

I never break with any of my shooters. For breaking I like my Predator BK with a Joe Piccone phenolic tip, or my McDermott Break / Jump also with a Piccone phenolic tip.

SF

woody_968
07-30-2004, 09:34 PM
Well it really boils down to if you like it or not. Everyone has different tast in cues, and you have to find what fits you no matter what others think of it.

That being said, I played with Meucci for several years. The only reason I moved away from them is I didnt like the whippy shaft. I put a Predator on a Meucci and liked it better, but it was nothing close to the Maddison Bob I play with now IMO.

The older Meucci cues I thought were good cues, but I wouldnt own one of their new ones if it was given to me.

shark
07-30-2004, 10:07 PM
The Meucii's I've used hit pretty good I just didn't like the covered wrap, kind of defeats the purpose of a wrap. I guess you can order them without the covering but it'll probobly cost you more.

Fred Agnir
07-31-2004, 07:53 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote shoutout33:</font><hr> Who has them and what do you think about them? Don't know why, but I've been looking at that Gem limited edition that he has available. Now mind you I'm NOT the biggest Meucci fan, but I have played with them before and it felt good to me. Go figure. Just would like some honest opinions is all people, especially about this "power piston" technology that they have and no, I'm not hung up on the Black Dot shaft either /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Thanks in advance people!

<hr /></blockquote> I've owned a Meucci cue for about 20 years. Now that I have different cues to compare it to, I think I can make a honest assessment.

Actually, I'll be as objective as possible in just a few words.

The ferrule is cracked. It's one of two cues that the ferrules simply look inferior. The other is a Cuetec.

The points are no longer "smooth." It's the only cue in my possession that has popped points. Even though the points and veneers are all wood, there is significant movement and expansion.

The butt cap fell off when I took the weight bolt off. This isn't uncommon in older cues, but none of my other cues have done that.

Make your own decision.

Fred

66goat
08-01-2004, 06:29 AM
I second that motion on the "whippy shaft". My Meucci feels the same way. I plan on trying my luck with a Pedator Z replacement shaft soon.

WWW.NINEINTHESIDE.COM (http://www.nineintheside.com)

Pelican
08-01-2004, 04:03 PM
Honest opinion. They are a good production cue. No attempt is being made by Bob Meucci to represent them as anything else. Will they shoot. I think so. I used a Model 333-4 made in '92 for quite some time. Actually, the only reason I stopped using it was I sent it back to Meucci and had it completely redone and it looked so good I just put it up. I really believe way too much emphasis is put on the cue as opposed to the ability of the shooter. Get your best custom cue and you and Efren go into a hall neither of you have been in before. Have him close his eyes and blindly pick a house cue off the wall. Bet he kicks yer butt. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Later, Pel

Pelican
08-01-2004, 04:05 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote woody_968:</font><hr>
I wouldnt own one of their new ones if it was given to me. <hr /></blockquote>

Hey woody, if somebody gives ya a 97-32 just ship it to me. Will be happy to refund your shipping costs. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Later guy, Pel

woody_968
08-01-2004, 04:07 PM
LOL, I just hate the way they have gone with their designs, not to mention I dont think they are putting out the quality they once did.

Pelican
08-01-2004, 04:56 PM
Woody, there is no doubt that quality has suffered in the past few years. I think Bob is trying to get a handle on it but I don't know if he will be successful or not. You know, he did set up at his ranch to start back building some custom units. He and his family are good folks but some of his employees, especially in repair, have caused some customers to get a really bad taste in their mouth. I am an authorized dealer ay my store but handle them mainly because they have very high name recognition in my area (South Alabama).

Incidently, I just started shooting an Auerbach and it is really nice. Hard to beat for the money.

Later, Pel

Leviathan
08-01-2004, 05:51 PM
My dad has a 95-17. Its inlays popped years ago, and the factory shaft split below the ferrule last week. I guess my dad's power break was too much for the cue!

I haven't played with a black-dot shaft. I didn't like the big-slow-vibrations hit of the older Meucci shafts I tried, but a couple of guys who beat my brains out regularly use the old shafts happily.

Is the Gem the one that has the inlays that appear to be made of composite turquoise? I'd be kinda concerned about the durability of the bond between the wood and those inlays, given that Meuccis have a rep for popping traditional materials.

AS

tateuts
08-01-2004, 06:37 PM
I collect the old Meucci Originals. I like the cues a lot, both the playability and designs. They have their own unique feel - I really think they are good cues.

That being said, I think Meucci ignored the quality control issue over the years. This is a big mistake for any company. I mean, why put out ferrules and joint collars that fail year after year? Why use dyes that bleed? Why rush production so much that the shafts are turned once and shipped, only to warp in a month?

I liken it to Ford, Chrysler, and GM. Once the foreign carmakers became better from a quality standpoint, they had created a culture of mediocrtiy and had lost so much ground they had a hard time catching up.

Chris

shoutout33
08-02-2004, 09:41 AM
Hey guys, as always, thanks so much for the replys. I guess I'm realizing I can't get want I want right now, so I'm trying to ease the pain by looking in to getting a nice production cue. I have seen where I can get some nice custom cues done for under $400 but it's few and far between. I might just bite the bullet and pay the $390 for my Bob Frey sneaky peak. As a matter of fact here's a linky and instructions to get to the cue, so you have an idea of what I want. As you can see, it looks really nice, but I wouldn't have any stain on mine like in the picture:

My future Bob Frey sneaky-pete (http://www.cuesnthings.com)

Ok, this is what you need to do after you get to the home page: 1.)Look to the left for custom cues A-L, click on that; 2.)Click on Frey; 3.)Look at the for "View cues we have sold by Bob Frey", click on that; 4.) It'll be the 1st picture in the column (#FR-137), click on "View Cue"; 5.)Drool to your hearts content! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Oh by the way, that is a stain right? Also, what kind of maple is that? Bird's-Eye or Curly? Thanks again guys/gals. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

woody_968
08-02-2004, 10:28 AM
Nice looking cue.

http://www.cuesnthings.com/catalog/custom/frey/Frey/fr137/view.jpg

Barbara
08-02-2004, 10:36 AM
I have a Bob Frey break cue. It has a 14mm shaft that hits like a sledgehammer on the break. I'm very pleased with it.

Barbara

SpiderMan
08-03-2004, 08:41 AM
I bought one of the first Meucci cues, back in '75 when he was in a small shop near the airport in Memphis. I believe it was called an M-1 or something like that, just a plain hardwood butt with one shaft. This cue retailed for $35 at the time. Within one year, the butt had warped about six inches below the joint. The shaft is still perfectly straight today, go figure.

Around 1990, I acquired a used Meucci Original with oversprayed wrap, built in the early 1980s, and played with it for several years. I kept it in a case behind the seat of my truck, summer and winter, and it remained perfect. It still plays perfectly today. It didn't have any points or inlays, just an oversprayed wrap.

SpiderMan

Chopstick
08-03-2004, 12:16 PM
Spiderman fails to mention that it was also PINK!

tateuts
08-03-2004, 01:07 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> Around 1990, I acquired a used Meucci Original with oversprayed wrap, built in the early 1980s, and played with it for several years. I kept it in a case behind the seat of my truck, summer and winter, and it remained perfect. It still plays perfectly today. It didn't have any points or inlays, just an oversprayed wrap.

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>

Sometimes a Meucci will warp so bad that it actually goes the full 360 degrees and becomes perfectly straight!
/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Chris

Big_Jon
08-03-2004, 04:16 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tateuts:</font><hr>
Sometimes a Meucci will warp so bad that it actually goes the full 360 degrees and becomes perfectly straight!
/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Chris
<hr /></blockquote>

LOL... ROFLMMFAO!!!, OMG, that is the first time in a long time i have actually laughed out loud, probably because i've said that to a die-hard Moochi guy (who had a straight one, or so he thought)...

Thanks,

Jon /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Rod
08-03-2004, 06:12 PM
It's like one of those things you'd rather put to pasture or retire but it doesn't die. I think I might have seen that cue.

Rod

SpiderMan
08-04-2004, 11:16 AM
It wasn't pink, it was faded red /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Yes, both you and Rick spent a few minutes doing the "juggling trick" (is that a local Phoenix phenom?) with that old Meucci in June 2001.

SpiderMan

frankbullett
08-04-2004, 01:50 PM
I'm 100% convinced that purchasing new billiard equipment is like buying a used car. It is a very competitive market and I think the quality must vary by the month on some stuff. I did about two months research on cues (that I could afford) and decided on getting a McDermott over Meuci. I even worked directly with the manufacturer thinking that it would make it more likely that everything that they advertise on would be provided. Without going into boring details, I sent the cue and extra shaft back after 24 hours and told them to get me a cue of the quality, weight and stain color that they promised or send my money back. I have a Viking that cost 1/3 of that cue and, if you didn't know the brand and only looked at the collar/joint fit and workmanship, you would think it was the higher price cue. Players should be able to test a higher end cue, the very cue they are going to buy. I wanted a 12.25 custom taper/tip and weight so had to buy based on my research because its easier for them to push one production type (the 13mm/19 oz)to retailers. Maybe it will work out but I was bummed. I guess its like everything else, you have to work at it but if we, as customers, make them produce what they say in the promotions maybe their products, or at least advertising, will be more relyable and believeable. Of course, maybe I will win the lottery this weekend also.

woody_968
08-04-2004, 03:30 PM
Im all for truth in advertising, but also think sometimes people go too far in specs. I would love to get into building cues but have no desire to spend the time and money required to learn the trade so that someone can complain that the cue is 1/4 of an ounce off.

I know a guy that ordered a Joss from a friend of mine. My friend ordered it at cost as a favor. This guy (also a friend) got the cue and played with it for a few months and loved it. Another friend came in with one of those cards you can put over a shaft to see the diameter. Well he finds out the shaft is 13mm instead of 12 3/4 mm and now he hates the cue and cant play with it. If he liked it before what difference should it make the shaft was a little larger (giving him room for sanding if needed later on). I personally dont look too close at specs. If I shoot with it, and like it, who cares about the specs.

abracadaver
08-04-2004, 08:52 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote shoutout33:</font><hr> Who has them and what do you think about them? Don't know why, but I've been looking at that Gem limited edition that he has available. Now mind you I'm NOT the biggest Meucci fan, but I have played with them before and it felt good to me. Go figure. Just would like some honest opinions is all people, especially about this "power piston" technology that they have and no, I'm not hung up on the Black Dot shaft either /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Thanks in advance people!<hr /></blockquote>
I have an inexspenive basic one that I got in the mid to late 80's. Hits great and has remained solid only needing tips, but I replaced the ferrule with a micarta one early on because the original didn't seem to hold up well. It has no inlays, points etc... and I think it's a Hi Run model but can't confirm. Maybe I'll post a pic and someone can tell me.

FYI... I broke with this cue every game that I played /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

-Shawn

Chris Cass
08-04-2004, 11:28 PM
I Shoutout33,

I haven't read any of the posts on this thread and probably should but for now. I'll give you my honest reply. The last time I shot with a Meucci was the cue I owned at the time in 1986.

I sold 11 of them in Germany to the troops I hung with at the rec ctr. I shot with one model mostly and stuck with that same model even though, the weight changes were made. As I sold so many and shot with first an 18 then, 18.5, 19, lastly 19.5.

These were the two pointers with a ring in the bottom. They shot great for me and I learned to love them. I had to be carefull at the time about buying them. Many werte shorted clue or wood around the inside of the joint collars. Some with inlays with edges jagged around the top of the points and looked as if they were filled in with finish? Anyway, some even had rings that were on the loose side, down by the butt plate area.

I was very much inspecting as a QAQC person would and took the ones that I couldn't or wouldn't sell and gave the rest back. Not to Meucci but to his dealer in Germany.

I shot with a Meucci for 11 yrs. The last one I bought was a MO-8. The chess pieces in the bottom. That was really messed up. Great wood and nice inlay but 100% plastic. I was mainly concerned with the hit of the cues but I sold these things to my friends. I sure wanted the best for them. It also helped that they would sell too. These guys are weapons inspectors. LOL Well, grunts with rifle cleaning experience. They know what to look for. LOL

I went to a stiffer hit after that, a McDermott. I do say though. I really liked the Meucci cues back then. I don't know how they hit today but I've seen better quality now days too.

Regards,

C.C.