PDA

View Full Version : Layani Cue

recoveryjones
07-31-2004, 02:57 AM
I was wondering what all you Layani cue owners(or anyone whose hit with a friends) out there thought about your Layani cues.I hit with one today and rather liked it.

I have an opportunity to buy a ever so slightly used one(mint condition) at a very good price of $800 Canadian.Although fairly plain it's a beautiful cue. I know the bottom line is , 'do I like it?', however, I allways like to get second opinions. Any feedback is appreciated. RJ
http://www.layanicues.com/

Vagabond
07-31-2004, 05:27 AM
I could not manify the pictures of the cues.in small print they look pretty.cheers

highsea
07-31-2004, 07:12 AM
I'd fire the website designer, dink-da-dink-da-dink-da-dink...WTF??? Who's idea was that? I think Thierry got snookered on that one.

I also am interested in these cues. I like the joint philosophy. If you get on, let us know what you think. I'd be willing to spring for a merry widow (if he still makes them). I bet they shoot lights out.

Thierry Layani
07-31-2004, 08:24 AM
I have already fired the webmaster, don't worry. I'm in the process of making changes on my website but it should take a while as i'm doing it myself and I have still many things to learn. If I can be of any help to any one of you regarding my cues, just let me know.

Thierry Layani
www.layanicues.com (http://www.layanicues.com)

SecaucusFats
07-31-2004, 08:27 PM
The very first time I hit with a Layani, I loved it. Thierry's cues hit so sweet, that I know I will wind up buying one. My only quibble (minor) is my desire for a more traditional (OK, "old school") design when it comes to decorative work.

SF

bluewolf
07-31-2004, 08:50 PM
I have known for a long time that the Layani would be perfect for Ray. Well, I finally was able to get him to order one, but he wanted me to get one too, well I wanted one too and have been very interested in his cues for a long time. Now I will have two really fine cues and hope ray burns those cheap scepters. I think it was nAz who said :you cant have too many cues. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

We get them in october so that is two more months. "Anything worth wanting is worth waiting for."

Laura

recoveryjones
07-31-2004, 09:19 PM
Hi Laura,
I've heard that it's generally a six month wait for Layani cues now.Apparently he's becoming very busy as his cues are becoming more and more populiar here and overseas.How long did you have to wait?

I have a chance to buy a slighty used one (used for only 2 days)from a dealer who had to take it back from a guy (pro) who renegged on a payment agreement.

I was really impressed with the beauty of the cue and the quality of the shaft.That shaft was squeaky clean and really tight grained using real quality wood.That conical joint sure provides a solid hit.

Before I buy anything I like to ask others for their opinion. Thanks for providing yours. RJ

.....RJ will probably be a Layani man this Tuesday

Jimmy B
08-01-2004, 03:04 PM
They are nice cues, but they hit different so make sure you like that first. I think they play nice and I also think Thierry is a great guy to deal with, a real Class Act.

JB

rah
08-02-2004, 10:03 AM
Have put one of those vibration dampeners (forgot the name) on your cues?

Thanks in advance.

RedHell
08-02-2004, 10:13 AM
Are you reffering to the limbsaver ?

As for Layani's, I've hit with many and they are great cues. I still have to come across someone who didn't like them.

Popcorn
08-02-2004, 10:44 AM
Clean Quick and informative. Viewers want information at their finger tips, not a cryptic maze that becomes an IQ test to navigate. I think most web site builders don't know the first thing about advertising which is usually the intent of a web site. Do it yourself in the most simplistic and informative way and your viewers will be happy. You will do a better job yourself and have the luxury of being able to edit and update it at your own connivance.

Frank_Glenn
08-02-2004, 11:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> Clean Quick and informative. Viewers want information at their finger tips, not a cryptic maze that becomes an IQ test to navigate. I think most web site builders don't know the first thing about advertising which is usually the intent of a web site. Do it yourself in the most simplistic and informative way and your viewers will be happy. You will do a better job yourself and have the luxury of being able to edit and update it at your own connivance. <hr /></blockquote>

Yes, look at my web page. I did this and I am not a programmer. You have complete control and this system I use has a shopping cart and all that. I do not use it because I do not sell anything, but YMMV. Just hit the web logo on the home page for more info.

Thierry Layani
08-02-2004, 11:25 AM
I think my webmaster wanted to impress me by doing some "cool" stuff on my website but definitely it needs to look more and more like myself and not like my webmaster. Hopefully in a few months I'll be able to come up with something different, nice and simple. I'll let you know when I'm done. Thanks guys for the informative suggestions.

Thierry Layani

Cueless Joey
08-02-2004, 11:29 AM
Thierry, Brady Behrman here does great websites.
Maybe, give him the business?
Brady, where's my US Open ticket. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Thierry Layani
08-02-2004, 11:30 AM
One of my customers did try the limbsaver on his cue and said he couldn't feel a difference at all. Our joint already dampens the vibration quite a lot so there's no need for that.

Thierry Layani

Thierry Layani
08-02-2004, 11:32 AM
The thing is I'd like to be very autonomous regarding my website. I would prefer not having to rely on someone else. But thanks for the plug in case I do need someone.

Thierry Layani

buddha162
08-02-2004, 12:40 PM
Thierry,

When I visit cuemakers/cuedealers' websites I like to see large, detailed pictures. By far the best cuemaker site I've seen is Bryan Mordt's, at www.bcmcue.com (http://www.bcmcue.com)

I can get a feel for a cue by looking at good pictures, where the inlays and points actually pop off the screen. Pictures are 90% of your website, imho. A general price list is also nice.

-Roger

recoveryjones
08-02-2004, 01:08 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote buddha162:</font><hr> Thierry,

When I visit cuemakers/cuedealers' websites I like to see large, detailed pictures. By far the best cuemaker site I've seen is Bryan Mordt's, at www.bcmcue.com (http://www.bcmcue.com)

I can get a feel for a cue by looking at good pictures, where the inlays and points actually pop off the screen. Pictures are 90% of your website, imho. A general price list is also nice.

-Roger <hr /></blockquote>

I think the layout of Layani's website is good enough, I just think that it need bigger and better pictures of the cues like mentioned above. I wouldn't give it a major overhall, I would just present the cues with bigger/better pictures.RJ

......when it comes to websites, what does RJ know anyhow????

Rod
08-02-2004, 01:59 PM
When I visit a cuemakers website I really don't want to watch flash programs, if that's what you call them. I find them to take time and get annoying. You go for info, pictures and pricing.

I know i'm not alone by getting annoyed with those cute little programs. Some places put little objects that follow mouse movement, that is real annoying. While it might be ok for certain websites, I don't think it belongs on a cuemakers site.

Rod

SPetty
08-02-2004, 02:13 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> Some places put little objects that follow mouse movement, that is real annoying. <hr /></blockquote>So, I guess you don't like these mouse bubbles (http://www.joanncastle.com/) ?

I completely agree with you on the flash and mousey things.

Frank_Glenn
08-02-2004, 02:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think the layout of Layani's website is good enough, I just think that it need bigger and better pictures of the cues like mentioned above. I wouldn't give it a major overhall, I would just present the cues with bigger/better pictures.RJ
<hr /></blockquote>

Hires pictures slow everything down. The trick is to use lores with a link to hires. This way customers are not waitng for the page to load, and those that want to see a particular design in hires will have the chance and those that just want a quick peek will not be staring at the hourglass. Now, having said this, I don't do it because I'm not selling anything, YMMV.

Rod
08-02-2004, 02:27 PM
ummm---no, some are worst than others. In this case the bubbles all go up, still annoying. Here is another, just a description of a program.

Mouse Tracker - Animated ring of text follows your mouse movements--eyecatching!

Yes it is indeed, it's eyecatching but that's not the way I'd describe it. LOL

Thierry Layani
08-02-2004, 04:13 PM
I know what you mean and that's what I want to get rid of. I want the viewer to be able to browse through the website without being annoyed by the "cute" stuff. Also put more emphasis on the pictures. The idea of having small lowres and clickable hires is very good.

Thierry Layani

Fred Agnir
08-02-2004, 04:55 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote recoveryjones:</font><hr> I was wondering what all you Layani cue owners(or anyone whose hit with a friends) out there thought about your Layani cues.I hit with one today and rather liked it.<hr /></blockquote>Good cue. Good guy.

Fred

SPetty
08-02-2004, 06:26 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> Good cue. Good guy.<hr /></blockquote>And quite attractive too. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Barbara
08-02-2004, 06:34 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> Good cue. Good guy.<hr /></blockquote>And quite attractive too. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Isn't he!! Love that curly, dark hair!!

Barbara

shoutout33
08-03-2004, 09:20 AM
He doesn't make a phenolic type of joint does he? I mean, I want a flat-faced joint and all but I've hit his cue at Valley Forge about 3 yrs ago and if I remember correctly, it was very solid, but I feel I need feedback as well. At the time I hit it, or any still joint for that matter, I couldn't tell the difference between them or my Joss. Of course I have learned a few things since then. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Thierry Layani
08-03-2004, 11:03 AM
Are you saying I should renew my website by puting a big picture of myself on the frontpage? Or maybe build a women section? Humm... Nah, I think I'll stick with my cues. Nice to hear from you Barbara, I hope you're doing well.

Thierry Layani

recoveryjones
08-04-2004, 02:35 AM
I just got back from the poolroom (ouch it's 1:30 a.m and I've got to work tommorow) accompanied with my new Layani cue.

After playing with it for a few hours I must say I was very ,very impressed and started to love it more and more as time wore on.Lots of spin (Moori 3,med tip) and a solid hit.That conical joint really is a nice piece of work.If you are thinking of buying a new cue, you can't go wrong with a Layani.RJ

Sally
08-04-2004, 03:04 PM
Layani Cues was the subject of the first article on cues that I ever did (before the days of Fred ...), and the only reason I wanted to do one on them was because I was so impressed with their cues. They really are gorgeous and the conical joint is a great thing. And Thierry is one of the nicest guys ever.

Kato
08-04-2004, 10:51 PM
Nice cues, nicer guy.

Kato