PDA

View Full Version : strait pool championship

justbrake
07-31-2004, 02:33 PM
is there a strait pool chapionship for woman and if not why not!

Chris Cass
07-31-2004, 03:07 PM
Well, for one it takes too long and I want my dang dinner. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.

woody_968
07-31-2004, 07:14 PM
As far as I know there is not one for women or men any more. But I sure with there was, it is quickly becomming my favorite game.

recoveryjones
07-31-2004, 07:18 PM
I'm looking for some Straight pool video matches.If anyone has some and would like to trade for other pool videos, please PM me. Thanks RJ

justbrake
07-31-2004, 07:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> Well, for one it takes too long and I want my dang dinner. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C. <hr /></blockquote>
Hi-chris, with the way these woman run out nineball racks do you really think that they couldn't run 30,40,50 at a time in strait pool, I don't think the games would be that long at all = jmo

cueball1950
07-31-2004, 07:27 PM
Well Just. The last 1 was a couple of years ago held in NYC. Manhattan. It was a great tournament put on by blatt billiards,nyc. Problem was, blatt lost about 70 to 80 thousand on it. Atleast that is the story i got from a very reliable source. To costly, to long to put on is 1 of the main reasons. People only want to watch a fast game. not a slow 1 like 14.1. So there you have it...........mike

Rod
07-31-2004, 07:42 PM
Quiet, and pass the taters. oops

Rod
07-31-2004, 07:47 PM
Some women have already run over a hundred. Makes no difference though if it is women or men, it's to slow for tv, viewers and that's why sponsors don't front the bucks. More bang for the buck elsewhere.

Rod

woody_968
07-31-2004, 08:57 PM
I dont know if "too slow" is the real problem. True for the few that dont play pool but may watch it on TV that may be the case. But IMO even many that play pool may not watch that many straight pool matches, simply because they dont play or understand the game. People think straight pool is easy because you can shoot any ball in any pocket. But anyone that has ever studied or tried to play serious straight pool will tell you there could be nothing farther from the truth. I feel that if straight pool were still being played regularly today there would be no reason that it couldnt be on TV, but people play nine ball because it is a much easier game to learn. You can run 9 balls in 9ball and feel like you have done something. In straight pool thats not even a start, and not many people want to spend the time and effort to learn how to play good straight pool.

Of course these are jmo, which have been known to be occasionaly wrong.

qstroker2004
07-31-2004, 09:02 PM
I think the game does appear slow to viewers, but that is not the real problem. I think the real problem is that people can't play pool well enough to appreciate what is happening when a really good player is at the table. It is as much a matter of solving puzzles as it is shooting the balls in the pockets. Solving those puzzles in the right way is above the knowledge level of even good players who don't play 14.1, let alone the general viewing audience. I don't mean to say I am a pro myself, but I know enough to appreciate when a simple shot isn't really so simple.

dwhite

Chris Cass
08-01-2004, 12:40 AM
Hi Justbreak,

It's not that the game couldn't make it with the women players. It's todays times. The target audience is I'm thinking the 18-35 yr old. The best thing I think we could do is keep it the way it is with 9 ball.

Now, if they really want the ratings they might make an all new pro calibers. Say, a Jr. pros catigory. There's nothing that draws a crowd bigger and quicker than to see an 11 yr old running balls. People especially the rec player will stop dead in their tracks and watch. Just imagine the draw that the Disney channel pulls. They've got every kid watching these 12, 13 and 14 yr olds and glued to the set.

Regards,

C.C.

Bob_Jewett
08-01-2004, 10:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote justbrake:</font><hr> is there a strait pool chapionship for woman and if not why not! <hr /></blockquote>
As mentioned before, the last major women's 14.1 tournament was the 2000 US Open at the Roseland Ballroom in NYC. Looking around on the web, there seems to be no US championship for women at any form of pool. The Women's World nine ball championships will be held in Austria in December -- see www.wpa-pool.com (http://www.wpa-pool.com)

justbrake
08-01-2004, 11:08 AM
thanks!

Nostroke
08-01-2004, 04:02 PM
The WPBA has a "US open" for nine ball but it isnt a hair different than their other events.