PDA

View Full Version : Best cue for 5 yr old

almer
08-01-2004, 10:02 AM
My 5 yr old grandson is a keen pool player for a year or so,i wondered if anyone has suggestions about length of cue<weight of cue<or type of tip?He doesn"t need to stand on a stool anymore to reach the top of my Valley bar box.The thing i noticed is he takes a sidearm delivery almost like Keith Mcready mostly do to his height.Some of the shots he makes are amazing,he does miscue some.thanks

Frank_Glenn
08-01-2004, 10:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote almer:</font><hr> My 5 yr old grandson is a keen pool player for a year or so,i wondered if anyone has suggestions about length of cue&lt;weight of cue&lt;or type of tip?He doesn"t need to stand on a stool anymore to reach the top of my Valley bar box.The thing i noticed is he takes a sidearm delivery almost like Keith Mcready mostly do to his height.Some of the shots he makes are amazing,he does miscue some.thanks <hr /></blockquote>
Get him a milk crate to stand on to stop the side arm and get him to a certified instructor so no bad habits form. I wish someone had done this for me, of course there were no instructors when I was 5 (1952).

Barbara
08-01-2004, 10:35 AM
Loree Jon Jones' family built a ramp around the table for her and her stroke is very straight. This would be the ideal thing to do for your son.

Joanne Mason Parker has a sidearm delivery from learning to play without such a support around the table when she learned as a child. Joanne plays quite well despite it, but one wonders if it has held her back in some other areas because of it.

Barbara

Rod
08-01-2004, 10:43 AM
Here is a link to junior cues. If you do a google search you'll find more. Action (http://www.insidepool.com/order/default.php/cPath/44_129_142)

As mentioned get rid of the side arm stroke. a lesson or two, plastic milk crate, what ever it takes.

Rod

almer
08-01-2004, 12:30 PM
Right now he uses the jump part of a Greg Hearn jump break cue,i put a soft elkmaster tip on it.He doesn't like to chalk much and i don't push the issue.As far as him using anything to stand on as soon as he could reach the table he refused,it is a pain to drag a stand around with him.he is only 5,we are not trying for a world champion,we let him find his own way and see what happens,He likes to use a training cue ball,and always notices siding,draw etc,of course he cant draw yet,but he knows what it all means.I have seen lots of kids give up too many sports due to pressure fr parents.If he still plays pool in 3 or4 yrs we will get him in a junior program,if he wants.

Chris Cass
08-01-2004, 01:16 PM
Hi almer,

I think your current cue used is just right for now. You should have a create of a chair is what I used with my son. Don't sweat the side arm thing. Eventually, he'll grow out of it. Besides, some work rather well with it. KM

The main thing is his interest. I can tell your proud of him and the fact that you stated that his intersts come first. You sound like a great Dad. Just try to make it rewarding for him. My son was given a trophy when he practiced long from the owner. It wasn't made out to him. Just one he had laying around. He liked it so much and wanted to play more. They are so much fun at that age.

Regards,

C.C.

PoOn
08-02-2004, 02:10 AM
i think you should get him one of those children Steath cues with the funny looking grip... if i was 5 i would think it looked cool... yeah i also agree that your doing the right thing by letting him learn himself and not force him into doing it... im pretty young myself and i remember when i was a kid the things that my mom forced me in to like karate and piano lessons... i probably would have liked to do karate its just the fact that she was forcing me to do it... and i never wanted to take piano lessons but she made me just like my sister... i bet your a pretty young GRANDPA (not dad like everybody else is saying)...

Chris Cass
08-02-2004, 07:24 AM
Aww Oops,

I did say Dad. Knowing it's GrandPa, that changes things. What a great GrandPa. BTW, I went into edit my post about the Crate or Chair. I know it doesn't make sence. LOL

Thanks Poon for making me focus,

C.C.~~that's me.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

almer
08-02-2004, 09:44 AM
Yeah your right,im a grampa.I have lpayed pool for a lot of years with quite a bit of sucess in tourneys,league play in vegas,vnea,bca,etc,but i realise pool is a hard sport to learn.I think i will let my grandson find his own way for a while,and answer any questions he asks.I never ask him to play pool when he comes over,but when he asks i always play.last night he showed me how to hit a 2 rail shot,which he missed,but a least he has imagination.Some of his longshots are amazing.I will looh at some small cues.