PDA

View Full Version : flexible or stiff shafts?

drawshot
08-01-2004, 10:16 AM
What do you guys prefer? Flexible shafts like Meucci's or stiff like Predator?

What are the pros and cons of Flexible vs. Stiff?

ryushen21
08-01-2004, 02:00 PM
I actually did an experiment for about a month. I play normally with a predator and i absolutely love it. I used my friend's Meucci Black Dot to see if there was as noticeable a difference as Meucci claims. I could tell that there was a difference and that the Meucci just did not shoot as well as the predator IMO.

So i would go with a predator hands down any day of the week. But, you should really play with as many types as you can to see what you like. also try to si if you can play with different joint types as well.

woody_968
08-01-2004, 04:12 PM
I fall somewhat in the middle. Personally I wouldnt call a predator shaft stiff. I think it has a nice firm hit, but not stiff. I have hit with some cues that are REALLY stiff, and I personally dont like them.

SPetty
08-01-2004, 04:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote woody_968:</font><hr> Personally I wouldnt call a predator shaft stiff. <hr /></blockquote>I've been shooting with a Predator pretty much since I started playing about three and a half years ago. Although I don't have a lot to compare it with, I've never thought of the Predator as a stiff shaft, and actually its non-stiffness bugs me sometimes.

It's my understanding that the Predator shaft attempts to minimize cue ball squirt by getting itself out of the way. This "getting itself out of the way" appears as quite a weird wiggly vibration to me sometimes.

I've also seen this as I've watched prios who allegedly shoot with a Predator shaft. The shaft wiggles and vibrates when they shoot. That isn't the same thing as a stiff shaft to me.

Rod
08-01-2004, 05:06 PM
SPetty,

I just love your explanations. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif However the Predator is not a stiff shaft. It might be middle of the road per-say. There X or Z shaft, what ever there called would lean on the stiff side because of the billiard taper.

Many of the production and custom cues have weaker shafts because of the long pro taper. I prefer stiff and in your words, I don't like a "weird wiggly vibration".

The first Predator shaft I played with was the old 8 splice (I think is was 8) shaft. That had a lot of flex, it reminded me of Senior golf shafts. The old guy that asked me to play with it had just bought it and wanted my opinion. I was nice but that shaft was terrible.

Rod

Jim Walker
08-01-2004, 05:21 PM
I'm not an expert but I read that when the shaft contacts the CB something must give. A stiff shaft gives less and therefore causes more CB deflection. So a more flexible shaft should give more and cause less CB deflection. If this is the case the the Predator shaft should be considered as "flexible". Personally I prefer a stiff shaft for the "feel" and defy anyone to tell me how much deflection they are getting with different shafts. It might make a difference if the pockets were not 4.5-5 inches wide.