PDA

View Full Version : Opened vs. Looped Bridge

wantsumrice
08-01-2004, 03:21 PM
I used to have a looped bridge with my middle finger kind of guiding the cue, but now changed to open bridge because more people were using it. Now that I look around more, I seem to have gotten that wrong, there are more people who are using looped bridges...

Now I'm most comfortable with the open bridge, but is there a big difference between a looped and open bridge?

~ivan

woody_968
08-01-2004, 03:45 PM
Many great snooker players use and open bridge, they feel they can sight the cue better. Most pool players feel the extra stability of a closed bridge is better. IMO outside of extreme cases, there is nothing wrong with using an open bridge, especially if that is what you like better.

But I will say that in order to effectivly use an open bridge you better have a good stoke. If someone that drops there elbow uses an open bridge many times you will see them picking the cue up off of there bridge hand. I seem to noitce this alot when people shoot off the rail.

I do feel it is important to be able to make a good solid closed bridge, but if for now your open bridge is more solid and gives you more confidence then I would use it, but work on making a solid closed bridge for when you may feel you need it.

highsea
08-01-2004, 06:13 PM
You should practice and get comfortable with several different bridges, imo.

On normal shots and breaking, I use a closed bridge. When the CB is frozen to the rail, I use an open bridge, because I can get a more level cue. Also, if I have a really long reach, or I'm jacked up over another ball, or I'm shooting off-handed, I usually use an open bridge. But there are times when a rail bridge is better, and sometimes you just have to reach for the crutch.

I don't think there is any "right" bridge. Just different bridges for different situations.

-CM

wantsumrice
08-01-2004, 06:43 PM
I sometimes use the closed bridge if the CB is frozen on the rail, or when I feel the need to put the bridge on the table.

~ivan

=k=
08-02-2004, 08:43 AM
i use several type bridges, i have found that a louped bridge is a must for me when i use draw, and when i have a long thin cut i use a open bridge.

Chris Cass
08-02-2004, 11:59 AM
Hi Rice,

I myself use about 6 different bridges for all types of shots. The open bridge as you mentioned is a valuable asset. As well as the controlled looped bridge. I use the open bridge on average. I still can power draw with the open bridge but use the looped bridge when needing the more controlled power draw for breaking clusters.

The best bridge in pool is the closed two finger bridge off the rail. It's the most controlled bridge you'll ever have. This also depends on how far the cb is off the rail too. I like the open bridge and would recommend trying all the different ones you see the better players using.

Although I've on many occasion used the looped bridge with just the pinky and the middle finger on the cloth but, it's not as firmly set as the three finger bridge on the cloth. (pinky, ring and middle)

Sometimes with the open bridge I'll use all four fingers on the cloth when I need some elevation and I'll have my middle and index togather while the ring is bent and the pinky all alone and set like the index and middle fingers.

There's all kinds of open bridges that work for different shots better than other open bridges too. You'ld be surprized as to how I manipulate my bridge to fit the situation. Steve Lipsky uses an open bridge that when he places the cue on his thumb his thumb is actually placed on his index finger. I've seen it many times but I hold mine straight out.

Bottom line is that you should try all of the different types of bridges and the only wrong ones are the ones that aren't solid. Even some of them can be ok in a certain situation. Like jacked over two balls and your fingers are straight up and still need height. LOL

Your not wrong bud,

Regards,

C.C.

kenz54
08-02-2004, 08:23 PM
I use both open and closed bridges depending on the scituation. Started with open and I think it is better to sight the ball but I use closed bridge when I need more control.

ryushen21
08-03-2004, 04:41 AM
i actually switched about a month ago. I used to use a closed bridge on almost all my shots. I also used to have my left arm fully extended and locked out.

i switched to the open bridge because i found that i am able to sight the ball better and i can see if my stroke is changing. and i have not lost any control at all. in fact, at times it seems to be better. i now bend my left arm, but that was more of a comfort issue than anything else.

raistlin
08-03-2004, 05:23 AM
FWIW, I noticed a large number of the guys at the WPC this year used open bridges for the majority of their shots.

Just another trend? It isn't like they needed to be particularly accurate on that TV table. I have seen railway tunnels that had smaller openings than those pockets!

Chris Cass
08-03-2004, 12:36 PM
Good Job Raistlin,

We should all see the table as, pockets like buckets, the tip as little and the table as slow.

Regards,

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

1a2b3c
08-03-2004, 05:45 PM
play more snooker, all other tables look like they have buckets for pockets. Especially the side pockets on some of the 9 footers, i could drive a car in the side pockets on a 9 footer.

Chris Cass
08-04-2004, 12:17 AM
It was merely an analogy(sp?)or Mind set when going into any match.

I do like Snooker too. I've played it a few times and I like to play with a short rack of red's too. About 6 is fine for me. I also played with the regular balls off the 9 ft. Just played some 9 ball is all.

I guess that's why I like One pocket the best, over Snooker. I like to play all the games but the way I see it is, that you should take advantage of the table when it's there. Even played 3 cushion once. I like Carom pool better or as they call it out here, tic tic.

Regards,

C.C.~~thanks for the tip my friend. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

nhp
08-04-2004, 04:22 AM
Practicing with an open bridge is a very good way to improve your stroke, believe it or not. Try some power-follow shots, I mean really juice up the cueball using an open bridge. Focus on keeping your cue on the bridge, don't fling it up in the air. Just go straight thru the cueball. This can work wonders for your stroke. Do the same for sidespin, juice up the cueball with alot of sidespin, and keep your cue going straight, don't let if fall off to the side of your bridge hand. This was an old way to practice I forgot about a long time ago, and I started doing it again. It helps quite a bit.

Chris Cass
08-04-2004, 09:14 AM
Hi nhp,

I use the open bridge probably more than anything else. It does assure you don't over power the shot. I've also used it for power draws too. Glad you posted it. One pocket players use it a lot too.

Regards,

C.C.~~good post nhp and thanks

NU_Gameroom_Guy
08-21-2004, 12:23 PM
i use both. i kinda prefer closed personally but it just depends on the situation and which one is more comfortable at that time. for me, if i have to reach for it, i like open cuz it puts less strain on my arm and i can reach a lil farther (i dunno whats wrong with my arm:p). also, some places dont have the cone chalk and a guess i have pretty sweaty hands so closed bridge is not an option heheh.
-Ray

Rod
08-21-2004, 03:38 PM
Let me get this right, you use an open bridge because everyone else does? Who cares what everyone else does? The simple answer is many will use both and for good reason. I've found the bigger percentage of better players will be closed but they also use open at times.

Now you may not make a good instructor, you were/are doing that? If you tell someone, oh I do it because everyone else does!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif What does that tell them?

Rod