PDA

View Full Version : Wheelies at 65 MPH?

Nostroke
08-01-2004, 09:54 PM
I was on the Sprain Pkwy tonite around 11PM and some guy on a motorcycle was doing wheeelies at 65 MPH for 1/4 of mile or more. I'd never seen that before but it sure seemed not a real wise thing to do. His wheel seemed to be drifting all over-pretty unstable. I never rode so i dont really know but it seemed to me, a hubcap in the road or a squirrel and he was in trouble. I was afraid he'd wipeout and id run over him so i backed way off. Was this guy nuts or am i in the dark on this?

highsea
08-01-2004, 10:25 PM
I'v known guys that could do that all day. I had a friend in college that was a trials rider, and he used to ride his bike over his 3/4 ton Dodge pickup with a cabover camper on it!. Wouldn't even touch a foot. Up the hood, up onto the roof, down the length of the camper and jump off the back.

I rode for many years, and he taught me a lot. We used to ride in boulder patches along the Yakima River. A 1/4 mile wheelie is kids play. Not necessarily safe, mind you, I don't advocate anyone go out and do it, but for a good rider, it's not dangerous.

-CM

Chris Cass
08-02-2004, 07:39 AM
Wheh,

I thought as I read the subject line it was you. LOL Glad it wasn't. It might be easy for some but not intentionally pulling the wheel off the ground for me was scary. I couldn't imagine it at 65. Some people have skills so much that they actually seem invincable. Me, I think that's way crazy.

I took Heide and Spike once to the monster truck extravaganza out here and saw two kids like 16 or so jumping trucks and all sorts of moves in the air. I actually had my heart beating like 90mph watching them. I was glad when it was over. Too uch excitment for me. Alls I could think about was the worst and the best thought was crushed nuts.

Regards,

C.C.~~Nostroke, going to the Open this yr?

UWPoolGod
08-02-2004, 08:25 AM
Yeah I was driving down this 5 lane open road to work one morning a few weeks ago. It has been nice so people have been riding their bikes, crotch rockets. Behind me on ninja rider starts side straddling his bike and then flops off the side putting both feet on the ground next to his bike as he's driving. Does that for a few hundred yards and then climbs back on. Crazy.

crawdaddio
08-02-2004, 08:49 AM
My buddy does it, and then stands up on the pegs---nutty /ccboard/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Nostroke
08-02-2004, 09:38 AM
Hey Chris

Nope no open for me this year- The first one i'll miss in at least 8 years. There is a WPBA event in Florida at the same time. I wouldnt feel right deserting some of my friends on that tour, plus i live there nearly half the year so it will be fun to get back there before the winter and see some of those friends as well.

Chris Cass
08-03-2004, 01:47 AM
Well,

I hope to meet you one day and I know you'll be missed. I wish I could escape the winter out here in corn country. I think it's getting togather with friends that count. Having a good time and see some great pool.

Take care,

C.C.

Barbara
08-03-2004, 09:48 AM
Dave,

What's the problem here? The WPBA event doesn't start until Thursday. You can catch the Open early in the week.

Barbara

ras314
08-03-2004, 10:20 AM
I watched Randy Mamola sp? win the gran prix at Daytona a while back. He did a wheelie his whole victory lap, or at least all of it I could see, passing riders that where still raceing!

Nostroke
08-03-2004, 11:07 AM
I thought of that Barb, but it would be just a little too hectic of a travel schedule plus It would be so hard to leave the Open.

PS-No promises but a certain "traitor" is talking about playing at Herbert's in 2 weeks.

Sid_Vicious
08-03-2004, 11:08 AM
Those machines intrigue me to no end...I'm getting one next year if this economy ever gets corrected for all of us middle class people. I understand there is a wheelie school run my an ex-CHP and some professional riders, $500 as I understand it. I'll probably toss the bucks into that class.

I've seen many CR riders doing 100+ on one wheel, drop back to two just before traffic jams, and maneuver with the confidence and surety that a professional possibly maintains. I GOTTA DO THAT AT LEAST ONCE,,,LIFE'S TOO SHORT TO MISS THAT ONE!!!sid

Nostroke
08-03-2004, 11:09 AM
I kinda thought i was probably in the dark on this-Amazing i had never seen it before. Frankly though, i really dont want to see it in front of me on a highway again.

Barbara
08-03-2004, 11:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Nostroke:</font><hr> PS-No promises but a certain "traitor" is talking about playing at Herbert's in 2 weeks. <hr /></blockquote>

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Well good for her!! I welcome back all my "prodgicals" with open arms.

Plus, I believe her membership is due! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Barbara

Nostroke
08-03-2004, 09:02 PM
Barb you should never have felt bad if you did, she hasn't played anywhere but the Big Show this year and last year well that was special circumstances, given her ranking. She says she needs to play once before Florida and Herberts is by far the most convenient. Still if there is a poker game late Friday nite, her record for getting out of bed is not stellar- We shall see.