PDA

View Full Version : Old Blackboar cue

Leon
08-02-2004, 03:02 PM
Hello

I have an old Black Boar cue - I am told it is a late 80s early 90s production cue.

The cues butt is made from Coccabolla and has two circular rings in ivory? it also has four splices in Cocobola, Ivory and Ebony venneers. It came with two shafts and I also purchased a Fellini case with the cue.

I have looked all over the net and have found around 35 different photos of Black Boars from various sites but have not seen this particular cue.

Does anyone have an old Black Boar advertisment or any information on the earlier Black Boar cues?

Where they still a well made playing cue back then or where they cheaply mass produced?

Thankyou

Leon
08-02-2004, 03:04 PM
Another question is the ivory - all of the Black Boars have ivory veneers and inlays and ivory ferrels, does anyone know if the early range also used ivory ferrels and inlays etc?

tateuts
08-02-2004, 03:13 PM
I don't know much about the old Black Boars (except they always have been customs and it's probably worth a lot) but I can tell you a Fellini case with the label and in decent shape is worth at least $400.

Chris

cueball1950
08-02-2004, 04:02 PM
I have never known Tony, from black boar, to ever make a production cue. Contact them thru the american cuemakers association and send them a picture. Tony will guve you a pretty good idea of the current price for it........mike

woody_968
08-02-2004, 06:12 PM
Its probably worth about $200, but I feel kind so I will give you $300 /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Joking of course, Black Boar cues were never "production" cues, they have always been custom. From what I have seen and heard they are well made and quite desirable. If you didnt know what you were buying, or just happend to get it for a good price, you are lucky to own a VERY nice cue!

Fred Agnir
08-02-2004, 06:15 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Leon:</font><hr> Hello

I have an old Black Boar cue - I am told it is a late 80s early 90s production cue. <hr /></blockquote> To my knowledge, Black Boar has never been anything but a custom cue shop. Yes, they had a catalog of sorts, but to call them "production" would be on the wrong side of misconception.

Fred

SUPERSTAR
08-02-2004, 10:55 PM
Ok. I have been dealing with Tony for around 12 years.
When he first started out. His advertisment could be found in the back of billiards magazines. At the time...he did have a catalog, and you could order from various models like any other catalog cue, although i'm pretty sure that the majority of his cues back then were made to order. If they weren't, i believe that he had 4 distributors that i know of. He had 1 in Virginia beach, 1 at CUES AND THINGS in maryland, 1 at Markley Billiards in norristown pa, and South Philly Billiards before it's doors shut.

The only thing about his cues back then was that you could find many black boar cues that looked identical to one another because they were the same model.

His earlier stuff has the BB logo with a boars head in between, and is mostly 4 point stuff.
He has long since switched to 6 and 8 point stuff.

To give you an idea of the possible value of the cue. His base price for his basic cue is very high. Around $2000 or more.
I just watched an OLD basic 4 point cue of his go for around $1100 bucks on ebay. That was for a cue with 4 points...2 rings on the butt, and 2 shafts with ivory ferrules.

I myself have 3 cues. 1 From his catalog days, and 2 customs. They all play great so it's not like the old stuff is junk.
I DO feel that over the years...Tony has learned a great deal more about his craft, and that is reflected in the high price commanded by his cues today. When he first started out, he was great, but still learning, and today he has no questions anymore. He knows exactly what he is doing. He makes an excellent product.

Hope this info has helped

SUPERSTAR

SUPERSTAR
08-02-2004, 11:09 PM
Also. Tony is not a member of the American Cuemakers Association. They were not allowed.
Vince Sangmeister (Tony's one time apprentice) was telling me that they weren't allowed to join because of something that happened at a trade show or some type of billiards product show. Apparently, Black Boar had a booth and there..they not only revealed their product, they actually revealed how they MADE it. Which was frowned upon or looked down upon by the powers that be. So they did not invite them into their little club.

I've asked 3 ACA members (who shall remain nameless)to reveal exactly how they build a cue, and i got shot down each time. The best suggestion that one of them could come up with was that i buy their product, and then go Xray it. I wasn't interested in buying it...i just wanted to know how it was built cause i KNOW how Tony builds a cue. I was just comparing.

SUPERSTAR

Leon
08-03-2004, 02:04 AM
Thanks for the info Guys,

That is a great help, does anyone know a website that may have images of the old range?

Leon
08-03-2004, 03:02 AM
Yes SUPERSTAR that was me who bought it from Ebay, I am just making sure that I didn't buy a dud cue.

In hast I put it back on Ebay for 10 days, as it is cocabolla and not ebony - if it sells then I will looking at forking out another grand or so and getting him to make me a new basic cue. If it dosen't sell I will send it to him for a refinish and leather wrap.

Fred Agnir
08-03-2004, 07:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Leon:</font><hr> Thanks for the info Guys,

That is a great help, does anyone know a website that may have images of the old range? <hr /></blockquote> I had a catalog in my hands just a few days ago, and wouldn't you know, I have no clue where it is now. If I can find it, I'll scan it and upload if nobody else has provided pictures.

Fred

Leon
08-03-2004, 02:44 PM
Thankyou that would be brillient

I am from the UK and have always played with a snooker cue.
I had a lower range Predator a few months back but the balance was all over the place so I stopped using it.

The only reason I bought a Black Boar cue is because I played a match against Rico Dicks recently and I liked his cue. Apart from that I wouldn't know where to start looking for a good cue american cue.

This forum has been invaluable - thankyou

Does anyone know if the older Black Boar's used ivory ferrels - if so what is the difference?