PDA

View Full Version : Focus vs. Complacency

c.holtz009
08-02-2004, 09:25 PM
I know how absolutely important focus is when you are in a game. It is everything.
Sometimes feel as though I become complacent during a game, (just expecting the balls to drop) and it kills me every time.
I need to work on holding my focus.
Normally, I'll play anywhere from 2 to 10 hours at a time, and hold focus. Then other times, it seems there is no focus, and, well, you can guess the rest.
What are a few techniques for improving, and holding focus?
I watch people play for hours on end, and not "lose it".

wantsumrice
08-02-2004, 09:35 PM
I have the same feeling. Most of the time the complacency comes from over confidence.

Big_Jon
08-02-2004, 09:55 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote c.holtz009:</font><hr> I know how absolutely important focus is when you are in a game. It is everything.
Sometimes feel as though I become complacent during a game, (just expecting the balls to drop) and it kills me every time.
I need to work on holding my focus.
Normally, I'll play anywhere from 2 to 10 hours at a time, and hold focus. Then other times, it seems there is no focus, and, well, you can guess the rest.
What are a few techniques for improving, and holding focus?
I watch people play for hours on end, and not "lose it".
<hr /></blockquote>

I know how you feel, the best way to (for me anyways) overcome this feeling/situation, is to stop playing for a few minutes, maybe even break down your cue, turn the balls in, and wait awhile, and go to another table, and for the first few shots, make sure you are focused, if you are not, get off the shot and do it again, until if "feels right". If that doesn't work, go the hell home. Come back the next day and see how you feel /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Other than that, just try to play through it, but don't burn yourself out. You can try to take three deep breaths (in-nose, out-mouth) with your eyes closed, that helps sometimes...

Gee you really couldn't tell that this happens to me.. could you?

Thanks,

Jon &lt;--- ("played through" a six month slump, don't ask me how i got out of it, that would mean i would have to disclose the secret location of the pool genie, i still have two wishes left...)

Chris Cass
08-03-2004, 12:42 AM
Hi C,

I think sometimes it's best to take a break from the game. I used to be able to take two weeks off without a change in my game. As if I never left it. I found out the hard way that, just watching accustates video' you can still hang on to quite a bit.

I like Big Jon' answer too.

Regards,

C.C.

shooter72283
08-03-2004, 12:42 AM
Very good points. As far as the original post, what I have learned is that you should never expect the balls to drop on their own, but you should be confident in your ability to make them drop when it counts. When you can be truly confident in your ability to **force** the rolls to go your way, you will be able to play your best game.