PDA

View Full Version : Moving out to Cali

wantsumrice
08-02-2004, 09:30 PM
Hey guys,

My family is going to be moving out to San Jose, Cali. at the end of this summer cuz my dad's company is being bought out. I'll be staying in Mass to finish up my senior year, then going out to Cali for the summer.

I just ran a couple racks to keep myself grounded. I'm not one to miss anything, but this is a big move and I'm afraid I feel just a little melancholy. Anyway, I was wondering how the pool is in Cali. With the good weather and all, I'm sure the pool halls must be excellent. Anyone around here from the San Jose area?

~ivan

PoOn
08-02-2004, 09:51 PM
im not from San Jose but i visit my cousins down there all the time and it gets really hot over there compared to where i stay and i dont know how that will effect the play... tell me if you find any tourneys anywhere in the Bay Area...

Tom_In_Cincy
08-02-2004, 10:04 PM
The Bay Area has lots to offer young pool players.

Just north of San Jose is a wonderful pool hall. Chet Itow's California Billiard Club. Great tables, great food. Lots of weekly tournaments. San Francisco has equally good rooms and tournaments.

www.californiabilliards.com (http://www.californiabilliards.com)

thirtyeyes
08-08-2004, 12:51 AM
San Jose has quite a few good pool halls. South 1st Street in downtown SJ. Lucky Shots in Sunnyvale, good place, was sold recently to a nice couple. Edgies in Milpitas, nice place if you like HS kids and hot asian chicks. Campbell Billiards in San Jose near Hamilton Ave/17. I'm not a fan of Chet, but California Billiards in Mountain View is actually a very nice hall. I think that's where most of the real players go. Santa Clara Billiards on Stevens Creek is a bit dark, but a good sized hall. My favorite is Cuetopia in South San Jose, the owner is a very nice person.

Troy
08-08-2004, 08:57 AM
Stop in at Campbell Billiards and introduce yourself. I'm usually working there days on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, 'cept lately I've been away recovering from another intestinal surgery. There's not a ton of action but it's a nice place for pool otherwise

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wantsumrice:</font><hr> Hey guys,

My family is going to be moving out to San Jose, Cali. at the end of this summer cuz my dad's company is being bought out. I'll be staying in Mass to finish up my senior year, then going out to Cali for the summer.

I just ran a couple racks to keep myself grounded. I'm not one to miss anything, but this is a big move and I'm afraid I feel just a little melancholy. Anyway, I was wondering how the pool is in Cali. With the good weather and all, I'm sure the pool halls must be excellent. Anyone around here from the San Jose area?

~ivan <hr /></blockquote>

Barbara
08-08-2004, 08:59 AM
Welcome back!! Glad to hear you're on the mend again!!

Barbara

Troy
08-08-2004, 09:00 AM
I'll second that !!! I don't think ANYONE is a fan of his. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote thirtyeyes:</font><hr>I'm not a fan of Chet <hr /></blockquote>

wantsumrice
08-08-2004, 08:04 PM
Hey, I'll probably stop in next summer. I have to finish my senior year in Mass., then I'm going out to Cali.

~ivan

Chris Cass
08-08-2004, 09:04 PM
Hi Troy,

You know I've been thinking a lot about, you lately. I haven't stopped my prayers either. I admire how strong you are my dear friend. God know's, I'm not but with each day I get out of bed, means that's another prayer for you. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.~~I'm sorry, I had to vent. I know you don't like it but, what can I say?

Chris Cass
08-08-2004, 09:06 PM
That's great news Rice,

I don't know where your at as far as how far you are from Sactown Tommy but knowing your close to Troy is great news. Not only that but we (Rip and I) buy our pool hall in Vegas? You'll be resonable close from what I hear.

Regards,

C.C.

Rod
08-08-2004, 09:15 PM
Hi Troy,

Hope your doing well and recover soon. You must feel like a pin cushion by now. Get well soon.

Rod

wantsumrice
08-08-2004, 09:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote thirtyeyes:</font><hr> San Jose has quite a few good pool halls. South 1st Street in downtown SJ. Lucky Shots in Sunnyvale, good place, was sold recently to a nice couple. Edgies in Milpitas, nice place if you like HS kids and hot asian chicks. Campbell Billiards in San Jose near Hamilton Ave/17. I'm not a fan of Chet, but California Billiards in Mountain View is actually a very nice hall. I think that's where most of the real players go. Santa Clara Billiards on Stevens Creek is a bit dark, but a good sized hall. My favorite is Cuetopia in South San Jose, the owner is a very nice person. <hr /></blockquote>

Excellent! Thanks a lot, will keep this in mind when I get there /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Can't wait!!!

~ivan

Troy
08-09-2004, 09:19 AM
Thank you Chris, and Rod too.. Brings tears to my eyes.

The last surgery was the result of "Radiation Adhesions". Apparently the radiation caused the intestine to get thick and plug up. With the GI Doc we tried everything to help it repair itself, but no success. Then the surgeon went in again. I was in the hospital for about 2 weeks. Now I need to learn to eat and get my strength up again. I'm pretty helpless right now.
My poor wife is going through pure hell.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> Hi Troy,

You know I've been thinking a lot about, you lately. I haven't stopped my prayers either. I admire how strong you are my dear friend. God know's, I'm not but with each day I get out of bed, means that's another prayer for you. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.~~I'm sorry, I had to vent. I know you don't like it but, what can I say? <hr /></blockquote>

Popcorn
08-09-2004, 09:45 AM
Just out of curiosity is the owner of that pool room an oriental guy? It sounds familiar, I think I bought a bunch of Moori tips from him one time.

Chris Cass
08-09-2004, 10:46 AM
Let me tell you something my firend. I know what your going through and others here that are going through simular things can agree. We are so in your corner. Some don't understand how it's not about us but the people around us that really count.

I think I thought about myself for about 15 mins maybe max when I found out I had Cancer. The rest was about Heide and Christ. Not about anything else. I was saying my good byes to the board and telling them how I felt before I went. It's was a matter of setting things right for me with everyone.

I never expected to live through it. That's when my post about the Commonality of pool players was born. After that it was the Cass VS Cancer. I wanted them to know that I wasn't going down without a fight. I also needed it to make my family survive life without me and have some type of support line.

You have this line here with not only me but others too. You are going to win because, that's what winners do. Barry can tell you that along with Stickman, David Sapolis(sp) and many others I won't mention.

If you need me, just call. That includes anything I can give or get. We will beat this stuff. I know your feeling very weak about now. I know it was so hard for me to even type or view a post. I want you to know we're here and that nothing else matters.

I know your not good at talking about this and your rather a private person too. Like Barry and others that have faced life threatening illnesses. We know what we have to do and we do it. We also share a common bond that nothing can break.

Your friend forever,

Chris

wolfdancer
08-09-2004, 11:14 AM
Chet Ito owns California Billiards; nice guy..and a great room. Chet, I believe is Japanese, definately Asian.

Tom_In_Cincy
08-09-2004, 11:22 AM
Chris, (and RIP)

Buying a pool hall in Vegas? with RIP? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
You guys have way too much time on your hands to run a pool hall. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Sacramento is about 120 miles from San Jose. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
San Jose is about 500 miles from Vegas. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I've had the pleasure of meeting some great players and posters over the last year while working at Hardtimes Billiards in Sacramento.

Troy
08-09-2004, 12:33 PM
Campbell Billiards until recently was owned by Paul Namkoong and is now owned by Steve Han. You probably bought Moori's from Paul.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> Just out of curiosity is the owner of that pool room an oriental guy? It sounds familiar, I think I bought a bunch of Moori tips from him one time. <hr /></blockquote>

Troy
08-09-2004, 12:35 PM
Thank you Chris, with all the energy I can pull together, THANK YOU !!!

Troy

Troy
08-09-2004, 12:39 PM
You and his wife are about the only people in the world who think of Chester as a "nice guy". The remainder think of him as a first class jerk.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> Chet Ito owns California Billiards; nice guy..and a great room. Chet, I believe is Japanese, definately Asian. <hr /></blockquote>

Popcorn
08-09-2004, 12:54 PM
Thats the guy, I met him at the Cue Club in Las Vegas. I bought I think like 300 tips from him.

wolfdancer
08-09-2004, 05:42 PM
Troy, first off, I just assumed that folks were talking about California Billiards, not Campbell Billiards. I sold my old Cuesmith lathe to Paul...wonder if it's still there?
None of my friends,including Delbert W., Tony A., have anything bad to say about Chet...he's always been pleasant to me. That's a big room, with a big "nut" I'd guess....maybe the pressure is getting to him...10 years plus of dealing with "serious" pool players can change anybody's attitude.And I heard, that Chet had his own serious health problem to deal with.
Glad to see that you are posting again...Barbara, in particular, was pretty worried about you,
Hey, one time the 9-ball break at Campbell, was at $4200...my ticket was drawn, and I had Charlie Tam, break for me. The nine was parked in the center until a ball came off the rail and sent it straight towards the side pocket....where it hung...A few weeks later, with the Jackpot now at $9000 plus, Cole Dixon snapped it in
Everybody there is now a nice guy, since I've moved to Wa.State ...peace!!

PQQLK9
08-09-2004, 08:12 PM
Nice to see you back Troy, hang in there, i'm rootin fer ya.