PDA

View Full Version : Oh no, another stinkin' drill!

Leviathan
08-03-2004, 05:40 AM
I just thought this one up. I think it's gonna cause me some pain.

Wei table:

http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/pooltable2.html

START(
%IN8O5%Pn0O5%Qm2N8%Rf7N8%S`8N8%TZ5N8

)END

9-ball (or 8-ball) on foot spot, cb at positions A, B, C, D. Cut ob into corners.

--AS

phil in sofla
08-03-2004, 04:10 PM
Do you think these are all half-ball hits, or thinner than a half-ball hit?

Barbara
08-03-2004, 07:58 PM
phil,

Wouldn't it be a half-ball hit at "C"?

Barbara

ras314
08-03-2004, 09:05 PM
I think there is going to be a whole lot of scratching going on. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Obviously the angle of hit should be the same at each position. Except maybe for some slight spin induced throw which might depend on how far the cb travles over the paticular cloth's coeefecient of friction. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

oops...Rod is correct as usual /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Rod
08-03-2004, 09:09 PM
Barbara,

There all being cut at appx 45 degrees. Which is appx a 1/4 ball hit. As you can see B,C,D are slightly thinner.

START(
%IN8O5%Pn0O5%Qm2N8%Rf4N8%S`8N8%TZ5N8%UO0A6%VO0]8%WO5P4%Xn3O4
%]D0D2%^X6Y8
)END

Rod

Leviathan
08-04-2004, 05:44 AM
Hi, Barbara. I think it's like Rod says. These long-string shots will be cut thinner than a standard spot shot, which is aimed at the edge of the ob, like this:

Wei table

http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/pooltable2.html

START(
%AN7O5%Ph3W9%Qg6X8%WB5L6%Xs4[3

)END

In the long-string drill, the point of aim will be off the ob. Also, one will have to adjust his or her aim slightly as the distance between the cb and ob changes. The need for this adjustment is easier to see in this example:

START(
%IN8O5%Pn2O2%Qm4N5%RP6N9%UI6S0%VQ6O7%]K4P8%^n2O1

)END

From position A you aim--where? Maybe about a tip off the ball? But from position B, you aim at Zanzibar!

I think I'll shoot a few of these long-string drills, see what it takes to move the cb around a little and avoid the corner scratches. Shots like these come up now and then, and I've never really worked on them.

Regards,

AS

RedHell
08-05-2004, 09:10 AM
Here's a trick I was given to avoid a scratch by a semi-pro player downhere.

If the OB is lower than the spot, you follow, if it's higher than the spot, you draw.

The poblem here is that it's on the spot. Therefore you must adjust a bit. My experience says that if I more than half a table away I will follow, else I will draw...

I rarely scratch on these shots anymore... so I guess I learned something !!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif