PDA

View Full Version : Getting ready for a tournament....

dooziexx
08-03-2004, 08:46 AM
Ive not been playing all that much during this summer but now I have 1 month to get ready for a big tourney. My plan is to practice at least 2 hours a day. Theres also weekly handicap tournaments that I can play in to fine tune my game for the big tourney. Besides the regular practice and drills, what other things do you do to get ready for a big event?

nAz
08-03-2004, 09:11 AM
If possible i try to watch some videos or a live match between some top pros the days leading up to the tourney, that way i can sort get into the type or rhythm they have, mimic their mental and phisical approch to the game.

Chris Cass
08-03-2004, 09:15 AM
I'm confused in what you would like to know? I think it's important to always leave the table with a positive thought. A win or a perfect out maybe? Those things help a lot. You may want to recall matches in the past that you've won from memory, to the front of your mind. It seems to help a great deal.

Maybe, get good rest and keep yourself on a regular sleeping schedule. Pay close attention to your diet. By diet I mean not the losing pounds type. Just the food you take it. Voodoo recommends staying away from green foods, like lettuce and such.

He also recommends pasta' to build up something in the mind? Gosh, I wish he'd reply to this post. Maybe just give him a pm and see what he has to offer. I'm sure he'd give you what he has.

Maybe, a small exercise plan to build up the endurance part of your game with all the long times between matches. It's those times that the semi finals and final rounds really take their toll on you.

Interesting,

C.C.~~good luck Dooz. I got your back bud. Is the tourney the Midwest Expo?

Popcorn
08-03-2004, 09:42 AM
Just go through your regular practice routines. I may or may not suggest you play in the small tournaments as a tune up. If you play good it will not do a lot for you. If you play bad it will stay with you in your mind. You need a good practice partner you like to play and play simulated matches, I like that best. Sometimes when you practice a lot by yourself you just get into the habit of always being at the table, in a match that is not the case. The main thing is to not think much about the tournament and just let it happen. Another day at the office, no big deal.

cheesemouse
08-03-2004, 10:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> Just go through your regular practice routines. I may or may not suggest you play in the small tournaments as a tune up. If you play good it will not do a lot for you. If you play bad it will stay with you in your mind. You need a good practice partner you like to play and play simulated matches, I like that best. Sometimes when you practice a lot by yourself you just get into the habit of always being at the table, in a match that is not the case. The main thing is to not think much about the tournament and just let it happen. Another day at the office, no big deal. <hr /></blockquote>

I like Popcorn's advice here especially the 'simulate matches'....in addition I would add that it is senseless to build great expectations about something so far in the future, it is also difficult to treat something as 'no big deal' when you are so anticipating the event...A meaningful and practical thing to do is too pretend each game you play is the first game of the first match of the coming event. Your single mission in this game is to force your opponent to make the first mistake; whatever that my be. I don't know the exact numbers for pool matches but in golf match play the player who wins the first hole usually goes on to win the match; there is nothing like having the numbers on your side to build confidence.

I assume the event you are building for is a # elimination format and we all know the best strategic move is to stay on the winners side...daaaaaaah... /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif. The logistics of most # elim events with enough tables available is that if you win your first match the second will follow soon and if you win that second one you are on sweet street. You now have time to congradulate yourself, feel good, take a nice break, and just generally relax. Once the first two rounds are complete the water gets deeper; the donators are gone, the unprepared are on the left side and you still have a 50/50 chance of drawing some lucky moron for your third match that isn't the genius prodigy whiz kid with the stick that you are..... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif...after you win that third match let the fantasy run wild......hehehe

I will stop now before I start to babble with my fingers......LOL

Chris Cass
08-03-2004, 12:23 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHA OMG, your killing me. LMAO

Regards,

C.C.~~agrees with the Cheese, we should all live life like the Cheese. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Still thinking about shooting ducks in a pond. LOL Your the best... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SPetty
08-03-2004, 01:03 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> Still thinking about shooting ducks in a pond. <hr /></blockquote> /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif The *only* CCB post I ever printed and hung in my pool room!

Barbara
08-03-2004, 01:31 PM
Do share...

/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

AndreaWilson
08-03-2004, 03:08 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> Still thinking about shooting ducks in a pond. <hr /></blockquote> /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif The *only* CCB post I ever printed and hung in my pool room! <hr /></blockquote>
OK...I'll bite, I'm curious too!
Please re-post it.
Thanks

SPetty
08-03-2004, 04:13 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> Do share...<hr /></blockquote>It was several months ago. Cheesemouse doesn't know how much I like the things he posts - he doesn't know I printed this out and hung it in my pool room. Something about it just made me giggle, yet I thought it might be useful...

cheese's duck hunting post (http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccb&amp;Number=131799&amp;page =&amp;view=&amp;sb=&amp;o=&amp;vc=1)

I'm AMAZED that Chris remembers it...

1a2b3c
08-03-2004, 05:04 PM
Where did you find this diet schedule? Ive heard carbs are good for the brain. Do you have a link or did this come out of a book?

Barbara
08-03-2004, 07:45 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> Do share...<hr /></blockquote>It was several months ago. Cheesemouse doesn't know how much I like the things he posts - he doesn't know I printed this out and hung it in my pool room. Something about it just made me giggle, yet I thought it might be useful...

cheese's duck hunting post (http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccb&amp;Number=131799&amp;page =&amp;view=&amp;sb=&amp;o=&amp;vc=1)

I'm AMAZED that Chris remembers it... <hr /></blockquote>

OMIGOD!!! This is GREAT!!! I love it!!

Barbara~~~went to go duck hunting with my teammates tonight, but they showed up with a cooler of beer. I was the only one with a shotgun... /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

cheesemouse
08-03-2004, 08:52 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> Do share...<hr /></blockquote>It was several months ago. Cheesemouse doesn't know how much I like the things he posts - he doesn't know I printed this out and hung it in my pool room. Something about it just made me giggle, yet I thought it might be useful...

I'm AMAZED that Chris remembers it... <hr /></blockquote>

SPetty,

I am pleased that you thought enough of my pool ramblings to print one of them out, I am pleased that you can see thru my humor, and I would be most pleased if anything I said helped your game.

I think a perfect evening would be to be at one of your pool party assemlages along with other ccb'ers letting it all hangout partying and playing some hardball on your great equiptment, telling lies and laughing thru the night...

Rod
08-03-2004, 09:16 PM
Cheese,

I missed that post. Somehow it's hard for me to imagine walking on thin ice out here in 112 degree weather. LOL Next time I play however I'll really try to imagine such but I won't need any heavy clothing!

What a mind, oh and I'll try not to break any twigs.

Rod

Chris Cass
08-04-2004, 12:01 AM
Hi #'s and letters, /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It's not a diet persay but it's something that my health guru told me. His name is Voodoo Daddy. He loves it when you call him Big Pappa. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

He's on the board and that's his handle. (CB talk)

Regards,

C.C.

dmgwalsh
08-04-2004, 04:06 AM
Aside from the health and hunting advice, is there anything else you ccbers do to prepare for a nine ball tournament?

cheesemouse
08-04-2004, 05:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dmgwalsh:</font><hr> Aside from the health and hunting advice, is there anything else you ccbers do to prepare for a nine ball tournament? <hr /></blockquote>

dmjwalsh,

Back on subject, huh...just like a lawyer...LOL

I practice for nine-ball by breaking the ten-ball rack and playing the ghost from there. I do a 'pass thru the centers drill' just to remind myself that you don't have to have perfect position to effectively play 9-ball. I put myself on short time clock so I don't get trapped into 'paralisis by analasis' ( being a lawyer, this could be particularily effective...hehehe ). Other than that I work on separating the cueball and object by parking the object ball behind walls of balls, you gotta love that phrase, in addition I practice placing the obect ball to the center of the end rails while moving the cueball out of the area.

There you go counselor... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

dmgwalsh
08-04-2004, 06:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cheesemouse:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote dmgwalsh:</font><hr> Aside from the health and hunting advice, is there anything else you ccbers do to prepare for a nine ball tournament? <hr /></blockquote>

dmjwalsh,

Back on subject, huh...just like a lawyer...LOL

I practice for nine-ball by breaking the ten-ball rack and playing the ghost from there. I do a 'pass thru the centers drill' just to remind myself that you don't have to have perfect position to effectively play 9-ball. I put myself on short time clock so I don't get trapped into 'paralisis by analasis' ( being a lawyer, this could be particularily effective...hehehe ). Other than that I work on separating the cueball and object by parking the object ball behind walls of balls, you gotta love that phrase, in addition I practice placing the obect ball to the center of the end rails while moving the cueball out of the area.

There you go counselor... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Thank you very much for your detailed response. After all those years of training and practice it's hard to break the old habits. You may be on to something with the paralysis by analysis comment. I'll have to think about that one. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I was just trying to do a little pro bono representation for my buddy, Doozie to help him get ready for this tournament he's talking about. Dmgw

dooziexx
08-04-2004, 08:33 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> C.C.~~good luck Dooz. I got your back bud. Is the tourney the Midwest Expo? <hr /></blockquote>

CC,
Not the Midwest open althought I will be playing in that too. But there's a $1000 added tournament being held at Pockets, in Crestwood, Illinois on Sep 4th-5th. $40 entry fee, double elim, Race to 7.

Chris Cass
08-04-2004, 08:54 AM
Ohhh,

Good luck in that event. I'll be at the Midwest Expo competeing with Heide and Spike as well. I'd like very much to meet you Dooz. I'd feel pretty bad if I didn't and had the chance to. I'll leave a message at the tournament desk area and if you can? Give me a pm to give me your name. It's ok if you don't care to give me it as I would never disclose it but atleast give me a time and place there were we can hook up.

Regards,

C.C.

dmgwalsh
08-04-2004, 10:03 AM
Chris- I've written you before and we've discussed health issues a bit. I also live in the area and would like to meet you and yours at the Midwest Open. Don't know if I'm playing, but I know i'll be wandering around out there buying junk and watching pool. Dennis

Chris Cass
08-05-2004, 01:10 AM
Of Course I remember you Dennis,

I want to meet you too. You can't miss me. I'll have a trail a mile long. LOL

Regards,

C.C.~~all aboard. lol I love bring them with. I feel like a choo choo train. chuga chuga who who... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif