PDA

View Full Version : What do you say when...?

GeorgeV
08-03-2004, 10:23 AM
What do you say when you beat another player in a tournament match?

Sometimes I want to say, "Good match", but if I really trounced him, or if he (or she) played really badly, that hardly seems appropriate. If it was a close match, I might say something like, "Whew! That was close. Good game." When I lose, I always approach the winner as I extend a handshake and say something like, "Good game. I enjoyed it. Good luck with the rest of the tournament." I've had opponents simply walk away after the deciding game, regardless of whether they won or lost.

The other day I went over to a guy I just beat 4-0, extended my hand and said, "Good match. You got a lot of bad rolls." He said, "And you got all the good ones." What a punk thing to say! I hadn't had any especially good rolls (I was just playing well -- ran a rack, had a couple of 4- or 5-ball run-outs to win), and his bad rolls were simply the result of his bad playing. I was just trying to make him feel better because it was his second loss and it put him out of the tournament.

Anyway...just wonderin what everybody says to opponents after you beat them. Or...after they beat you.

bill190
08-03-2004, 10:50 AM
I go up to shake their hand and just say "good game" or "good match" if I win.

If I ran the table on them and they got nothing in and they look pissed, I go up to shake their hand and just say "good game" or "good match" in a softer tone of voice.

If they win and did a great job playing, they usually come up to me to shake my hand, I smile and say "good game - good shooting" or "good match - good shooting" in a more vocal tone of voice. And I really am happy for them.

Other than that, before, during, or after a tournament I *never* make any negative comments on another players playing nor do I discuss their bad playing - ever. I consider that sharking as you are making them think about their bad playing by pointing it out to them.

When playing on a team, I encourage my teammates to say only positive things to each other no matter how badly we are playing or losing. It works wonders to say only positive things to each other and get a player playing poorly to start playing great. The opposite is true as well.

If players from the opposite team make negative comments about my shooting, I say "no comments please - no sharking". They don't like that, but they keep their trap shut after that.

I think the pro way to comment on another players shooting is to tap your cue on the floor three times for good shots only and never say anything out loud.

Rod
08-03-2004, 10:56 AM
Well the game has a winner and loser, you are going to be one or the other. Problem is some don't accept that fact going in. With them you never know, many times I say, enjoyed the game. If it was close, good match or something similar.

In this case my reply after he mentioned all the good rolls would be similar to, ya we all get lucky sometimes. Having a player say that to me doesn't bother me though, I've heard it many times. You get thick skinned. Whether it's true or not doesn't matter, I know the difference.

Rod

Chris Cass
08-03-2004, 11:04 AM
Hi George,

This all depends. I like to play it by ear. What ever you say just try to be sincere. ryming today. lol I will shake some and some I'll say, see ya in the finals. If I knock them out then, I'll try to be as pleasent as possible. Some guys are really touch to call. You'll know what to say or do when you see their reactions.

I have a guy that shoots lights out and sits and mumbles the entire match when he misses and when your shooting. It's really pathetic and if he's winning? It's all good but if he losing? Well, it's not. If he gets lucky and $hits a ball? It's ok. If you do? Well, you get my drift.

After awhile of playing the same people then you get to know what is the norm. I don't like losing as much as the next guy but to bring it beyond adult status is rediculas. IMHO

Good luck George,

C.C.

Tom_In_Cincy
08-03-2004, 11:17 AM
At the very minimum, I offer a hand shake, if it is a lady, I offer a hug.

Words are offered to players that I know well enough to speak to. Strangers just get offered a hand shake. If they speak, I will respond, but only in a positive manner.

Cueless Joey
08-03-2004, 11:18 AM
I usually hand them a box of Kleenex. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
I hate it when someone tells me "good match" when I dogged a dozen games and lost 12 zip. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
When I win a blowout, I just shake the other shooters' hand and not say anything that might offend them. I don't point to the losers' lounge like I'd like to do when the he/she is whining. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Last Sunday I beat a decent player pretty badly, he asked me at the end, " What took you so long?".
I had no comeback for him. I just told him I got him on his bad day.
When I lose, I leave quietly and ponder what I did wrong. If I missed a shot, I go to another table if possible and shoot that shot.
Players who just whine and whine after losing will prolly do that for decades. Everyone has bad days and everyone gets good and bad rolls. But, most of the time, we lose b/c we screwed up.

Chopstick
08-03-2004, 11:27 AM
I have thought about this for a long time. If you win and go over and sitck your hand in front of the guy it's like rubbing it in. Last night, I won my match and I think I've come up with the final solution for the proper thing to say win or lose.

"Thank you for the game, sir."

pooltchr
08-03-2004, 12:49 PM
Depending on how well I know the other player, I might say something like "I guess it was my turn today." or "looks like the pool gods were looking out for me this time".
More often than not, it's someone I've played before, so if it's appropriate, I might say "Well, that helps make up for the last time you kicked my butt".
If it's someone I don't know..."Thanks for the match" or something similar will suffice.

tateuts
08-03-2004, 12:59 PM
I think from now on it's going to be a smile, a handshake, and maybe a "thank you".

Chris

Voodoo Daddy
08-03-2004, 02:44 PM
I used to say...either way; "Wanna play some after the tournament?" HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Voodoo~~~handed out and took some ass-kickin's on the pool table due to my sick humor

Popcorn
08-03-2004, 03:35 PM
If you lose wish them luck on their next match. If you win say as little as possible, they don't want to hear it. Never say things like, "I guess I got the rolls today", it just sounds condescending. Always offer a hand shake and maybe a "Good game" but little more. Just my opinion.

Chris Cass
08-04-2004, 12:29 AM
Spike, beat his 20 yr old friend that works as a cook at the food counter. When the guy got pi$$ed and quit him, Spike says ok, Torch er u later. hahaha (like, talk to you later. LOL)

They play almost everyday. He has nothing but friends that just get a kick out of the size of his well, concidering his height and all.

I was floored about a few mths back when I was talking to this kid Scott. He's like 24 and lives at home and comes from money. He's been playing the tourneys and was telling me how he needs a shooting partner sometimes and that his Dad just bought him this new pool table.

I told him. Well Scott, I'm so busy all the time and don't get out much during the day as I have so many things going and sometimes I'm not feeling too well. Then at night, I devote time to Heide and Spike and go out to shoot some.

He turns to me and said, I was talking about Spike. I was so embarrassed. LOL

Regards,

C.C.

Jimmy B
08-04-2004, 12:52 AM
I don't believe there is a standard thing to say it depends on how the match went. Sometimes if I get lucky rolls or if he gets bad rolls I'll say nothing and just shake hands if I think he's real mad. If he isn't mad but luck was a big part I'll say this wasn't your day or sometimes you’re the bug, some day you’re the windshield. But if he says a rude "luck" comment and I know I wasn't lucky I'll just say "yeah the more I practice the luckier I seem to get." All in all I just say nice match and move on. If it was a hill hill match and we both played good I’ll say “that was fun, good shooting” I don't really need to rehash or make new friends after a match, I don't want his spin on how the match went to effect my mindset after a win, I want to stay focused for the tournament, and if he brings up negatives of the match when I was walking away positive it can effect my next round.

JB

Leviathan
08-04-2004, 07:51 AM
There are times when there's no need to say anything about the match that's just ended. For example, suppose you've just finished a match with a guy you've played in a dozen tournaments. A match with this guy is a routine thing, so why make a song about it? Just shake hands with him and ask him who made his new jump cue. Move forward.

AS

dooziexx
08-04-2004, 08:55 AM
Heres my interesting story...Back about a year ago or so, I played in a handicapped 9ball tournament. In my 3rd match, I was matched up with this old guy. The match was a 8-5 race with having to go to 5 to take the match. To make a long story short, I smoked the clown 5-0. I was in the deadstroke that night.

Anyways, after the match, I approached him and said 'Good Match' and extend my hand out for a shake. This is something I always do regardless of if I win or lose. The old guy got pissed and started ranting and raving about how I have to learn proper pool etiquitte. I told him I meant no harm or disrespect to him when I said 'Good Match'. It was just something I say all the time. Finally I had enough of his crap and I said 'Well you should learn some sportsmanship and take it like a man'. That didnt shut him up either. He went on saying we should play for $50 a rack but I totally ignored him. I went on to win the tourney that night and I've no regrets saying what I said.

I still see this clown every once in a while and I think we both try our hardest not to cross each others paths. I personally think hes a jag but hey thats just me. After all its just a game....

Eric.
08-04-2004, 09:44 AM
I used to say "Good game" or "Good match". Now I just say "Good Luck" and no more. I think it's a little aggravating to hear "Good game" when someone loses and maybe should have shot better.

Eric

SPetty
08-04-2004, 10:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tateuts:</font><hr>...a smile, a handshake, and maybe a "thank you".<hr /></blockquote>That's pretty much how I do it. Sometimes they'll get a "good job" when they win. Whether they win by taking it, or by taking advantage of me not finishing, or if they did a good job by sitting there watching me give them ball in hand on the key ball, they get the "good job" because they got the win and I didn't.

GeorgeV
08-04-2004, 11:52 AM
It sounds like we all do about the same thing: shake hands, say "good game" or "good match" and move on. I really like those matches when, win or lose, we both had fun and part with smiles on our faces.

You can't help but run into some real a**holes now and then, tho. I remember one guy who was a top notch player in our room just stormed off after I beat him. It bothered me a little (but just a little). The next week I saw him beat a guy on the one-loss side 4-0, and he stormed off the same way. His opponent was new to the tournament and didn't know that it was a race to only 4. He racked the balls for the jerk and waited about 5 minutes for him to come back and break. A guy on the table next to him had to tell him it was over.

The vast majority of players have good etiquette and are a pleasure to play with.

Love this game! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

tateuts
08-04-2004, 12:56 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dooziexx:</font><hr> Heres my interesting story To make a long story short, I smoked the clown 5-0. I was in the deadstroke that night.

Anyways, after the match, I approached him and said 'Good Match' and extend my hand out for a shake. This is something I always do regardless of if I win or lose. The old guy got pissed and started ranting and raving about how I have to learn proper pool etiquitte. I told him I meant no harm or disrespect to him when I said 'Good Match'. It was just something I say all the time. Finally I had enough of his crap and I said 'Well you should learn some sportsmanship and take it like a man'. That didnt shut him up either. He went on saying we should play for $50 a rack but I totally ignored him. I went on to win the tourney that night and I've no regrets saying what I said.

<hr /></blockquote>

Did he have a dog that did tricks?

tateuts
08-04-2004, 12:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote GeorgeV:</font><hr> The next week I saw him beat a guy on the one-loss side 4-0, and he stormed off the same way. His opponent was new to the tournament and didn't know that it was a race to only 4. He racked the balls for the jerk and waited about 5 minutes for him to come back and break. A guy on the table next to him had to tell him it was over.

<hr /></blockquote>

That's really a good one!

Chris Cass
08-05-2004, 01:13 AM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

C.C.

wantsumrice
08-06-2004, 12:02 AM
Ah I thought of a really dick saying. Instead of "Nice game", "Nice Try". That oughta piss some people off. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif (of course you only say to friends that can take it...)

~ivan *a dick by heart*