PDA

View Full Version : 3 rails to the side pocket?

phil in sofla
05-09-2002, 06:45 PM
I just got a reference line for this shot that I've wanted to learn for a long time-- shooting to the long rail near a corner pocket, then two more rails around to the side pocket adjacent to the corner pocket on the same long rail you originally shoot into. (From the 2nd diamond on the opposite long rail to about 2/3rds of a diamond on the first long rail target, if anyone's interested).

Well, at least that's the kicking line to get the cue ball to the side pocket. To make the shot with an object ball, the aim point is a little closer to the original corner pocket.

Question-- I don't see this shot or kick executed. Why is that? (Ok, one guy I used to shoot occasionally would do it once in a while, but that was back about 3 years.) Yet it seems extremely simple and reliable.

Is it too subject to table or speed of stroke variability to really be the right shot, ever? Or is it about as variable as banking in general, which some people avoid whenever possible for those reasons, but others are comfortable to execute when it comes up?

Do you use the shot as part of your working arsenal of shots, or knowing about it, still find any reason in the book not to shoot it?

Harold Acosta
05-09-2002, 07:01 PM
In Puerto Rico, it is practically the norm to play last pocket 8 ball (bar table). If you pocket your last ball in the same pocket taken by your opponent, he is most likely to call the side pocket. A good player with the knowledge of the 3 rails will most certainly go for it. There are different variations for the 3 rail to the side pocket, you could also use the short rails.

The 4 rail to the corner pocket is also used a lot.

Rod
05-09-2002, 09:33 PM
Phil, your reference from that starting point is very close.
Once again it depends on how long or short the rails play.
There are occasions that I play that shot and it will go or be real close. Playing pool it doesn't come up all that often. I use to play a lot of golf on the 12 footers and that is a very common shot in that game.

jjinfla
05-10-2002, 06:07 AM
Hi Phil, That is one of two shots that someone showed me back in 1964. (Why I remember them I have no idea). The other is to use high inside on a frozen rail shot. But I seldom use it because I am lucky to make it only about 5% of the time, if that much. And I don't bother to practice it. But a couple of months ago a "3" made the 9 ball against me using that shot. Jake~~~leaves the tricky banks to all the 1-pocket players.

Jay M
05-10-2002, 06:12 AM
Just a note for you. The actual shot is third diamond through the first diamond with center ball. If you're getting it at 2/3, your table is playing short. BTW, this is a shot that I put a lot of time into to find all the variations. I use it as much as the two rail in the side shot (going the length of the table shallow into the side rail).

Jay M

Alfie
05-10-2002, 06:16 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Jay M:</font><hr> Just a note for you. The actual shot is third diamond through the first diamond with center ball. <hr></blockquote>

Hey, Jay, Wei table?

05-10-2002, 06:23 AM
Quote.

I just got a reference line for this shot that I've wanted to learn for a long time--
shooting to the long rail near a corner pocket, then two more rails around to the
side pocket adjacent to the corner pocket on the same long rail you originally shoot
into. (From the 2nd diamond on the opposite long rail to about 2/3rds of a diamond
on the first long rail target, if anyone's interested).

Question-- I don't see this shot or kick executed. Why is that?

Hi Jim, I think part of the reason you don't see this shot very often is because if you have the OB and CB in a position to make this shot you still need four open lines to make it whereas the one rail kick from the short or long rails you only need two open lines, and then you also have the jump. As far as banking three in the side, most of the time it will be easier to do the straight cross corner. If you find your line is up closer to the side pocket, take your line from the side pocket diamond to 1 1/4 diamonds up from the corner pocket. When learning kicking/banking tracks, one line does not work for all those shots. I like to learn at least three lines, the two furthest lines apart and the one in the middle, that way I can parallel using the closest line to my position. Terry

jjinfla
05-10-2002, 10:54 AM
Man, just when I thought I was really starting to understand the finer points of this game along comes Terry and proves that I don't know jack. LOL. Jake~~~And people have the audacity to ask me why I won't play 1-pocket.

Jay M
05-10-2002, 01:10 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Alfie:</font><hr>
Hey, Jay, Wei table? <hr></blockquote>

Doesn't work for some reason on this machine so I never bookmarked it. if someone will throw the link up for me, I'll be glad to diagram it.

Jay M

phil in sofla
05-10-2002, 01:58 PM
Thanks to all respondents. Working with it a little more since I posted, I made my first such shot in a game (driving an object ball the 3 rails to combo in a ball hanging in the side pocket), AND found that on a different table, that line wasn't so simple or reliable. While the former left me positively giddy with excitement, the latter informed me as to why this isn't quite as simple as I might have thought (given the table I first practiced it on playing so dead on to the line).

I also understand from the posts that it wouldn't necessarily be the best shot to play in most circumstances, but that it does come up more when you are forced to play certain pockets and/or balls in order, as in golf or last pocket 8-ball, or whatever. Makes perfect sense that it doesn't come up that much.

However, when it does, I'm going to recognize it and play it. When I grow up, I'm going to be a one-pocket player, LOL!

Rod
05-10-2002, 02:00 PM
Here is Jay's reference, the tables I play on this may go a little long, due to the rails are a little soft.
START(
%AN7O5%PR3W4%WI2C3%XT6\1

)END

http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/pooltable2.html

Jay M
05-10-2002, 08:36 PM
That is what I was talking about, but as someone else mentioned, that particular shot is normally a straight bank into the corner. The three rail in the side shot works best for me as a kick when someone plays into a safe something like this:

START(
%AZ5D9%BS6V8%CS4X2%EW8E0%PR3W4%XT6\1

)END

Knowing those lines has saved me quite a few times. The most memorable was in the charity event at the Predator event at Capone's. Playing with tiffany nelson as my partner against Sarah Ellerby I had a shot come up where Tiffany left me this (it was scotch doubles):

START(
%BG5H1%Co8I0%DH9J6%EL0F6%Fp3W6%GJ1G5%HO2I3%IN3Z0%P O1Z9

)END

Take a minute and figure out what you would have done. This is what I did:
The 10 is where the 2 ball ended up and the 11 is where the cue's final position was

START(
%BG5H1%Co8I0%DH9J6%EL0F6%Fp3W6%GJ1G5%HO2I3%IN3Z0%J r7X6%KH6G2
%PO1Z9%UF1G3%VC8F3%Yr1P6%ZO2Z7%[K9D1%\r7O9%]D8E9%^J5C9
)END

The only reason that I was able to hit the shot is because I know this particular line:

START(
%Xu6O3%YD7E2%ZN8C4%[r4Z3%\C7E8%eB5`3

)END

and added the extra rail. (btw, if you use left english on that same line the cue goes to the side)

We ended up winning the game and the tournament.

Jay M