PDA

View Full Version : How would you play this...

nAz
08-04-2004, 10:32 AM
1P shot? i played the bank missed it but left hanging off my pocket and no real good shot for my opponent which was my plan, the guy i played said i should have shot the 2b first then tried the bank. what do you think?

START(
%Ac9Z7%Bd1W2%Pg8Y1%QA7A7%RA8[1%T[2^8%UQ2]5%VO0]8%WE9E3%Xb9Y9
%eB5b1%_e8Y4%`d3Z5%af6Y5
)END

http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/pooltable2.html

woody_968
08-04-2004, 10:40 AM
If the two ball was really that straight in I probably would play the two then bank the one. Since you were playing for both balls I assume he only needs one. I think you have less of a chance at giving him anything to make if you shoot the 2 first. If you bank the 1, hang it, and hook him, it looks like he will have a bank at his pocket. Granted it could be a win or lose shot for him, but its still a shot.

Pelican
08-04-2004, 10:47 AM
I agree with Woody. Shoot the two and draw back on the one to play it like you first did.

Later, Pel

Frank_Glenn
08-04-2004, 11:03 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Pelican:</font><hr> I agree with Woody. Shoot the two and draw back on the one to play it like you first did.

Later, Pel <hr /></blockquote>
Yep, that's what I would have tried to do.

Rod
08-04-2004, 11:33 AM
You've left him options, one is he could move your ball with the two ball unless you jaw it in the pocket. Another of course, if you back some one in a corner and give up a bank they just might make it. There's more depending on the exact layout.

I wouldn't give up a bank, I'd have shot the two. You don't have a guaranteed win either way, but you did give the other guy a chance to win. OP players like banks. No way for me to remember how many times players lost with a ball sitting in the pocket. That includes at the beginning of a game.

Rod

smfsrca
08-04-2004, 11:36 AM
He needs one and you need both.
The 2 is the high percentage shot. Shoot the 2. Play a stop shot leaving the cue with a slight angle on the 1, enough to bank out but not enough for him to make the cut down the rail. If you do miss the 2 his only make possiblility is a double cross bank.

Popcorn
08-04-2004, 11:54 AM
You should have shot the 2 first. You just gave him a free shot to win the game either banking the 2 in or even cutting it in. You may even hit the bank and lose your cue ball leaving him straight in on the 2 into his pocket.

Eric.
08-04-2004, 12:47 PM
I'm late on this(as usual) but you should of shot the 2.

I'm not the best One hole player, but I believe as a rule, you always take the easy point first. The 2 is a high percentage shot and even if you miss(shooting with pocket speed), still leave a tough table for your opponent.

Assuming that the 1 is frozen to the rail, I would have shot the 2 with enough draw to get back to the same po on the 1 ball (3-4" off the rail). Next, try to soft bank the 1 but error to the end rail, near your pocket, with follow on the CB to roll it as close to his pocket as possible.

Eric &gt;looks good on paper, anyway /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

nAz
08-04-2004, 01:53 PM
Thank you all for the replies, After reading them all I find the 2B shot to be the better choice, true never give your opponent the chance to win on a shot.
I won the game when he tried to cut it in, he missed (not by much) and left it on the long rail, after i made the 1B I managed a fairly easy bank on the 2B to win.

START(
%AB7B5%BH0Z7%PF1G9%QA7A7%RA8[1%T[2^8%UQ2]5%VO0]8%WH3X9%XF2H8
%YD1F4%ZG8Y5%eB6`5%af2^7
)END

great game 1P, I wish there were more ppl in my local room that would play it with me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

woody_968
08-04-2004, 03:00 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr>
Next, try to soft bank the 1 but error to the end rail,

<font color="blue"> I understand what you are saying, but think the wording could be misunderstood. Like you said, you want the 1 if missed to be on the end rail. So if missed you want to miss short, hitting the side rail first and stopping on or near the end rail. </font color>

near your pocket, with follow on the CB to roll it as close to his pocket as possible.

<font color="blue"> I wouldnt follow the cueball down to his pocket, I think you have more of a chance of giving him a reasonable bank if you put the cueball down there. If the angle permits I would try to bring the cueball back and freeze him on the head rail. </font color>

Eric &gt;looks good on paper, anyway /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Of course these are just my opinions, and I dont claim to be a great one pocket player /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif