PDA

View Full Version : Ring games on ESPN?

rocky
08-04-2004, 01:47 PM
DO you guys think that a ring game on ESPN might help to draw the kind of ratings that the poker tour gets? Players playing for their own money(or a backers) with a chance to take it all. Do you think maybe this is the direction that billiards needs to take with respect to television?
Rocky

catscradle
08-05-2004, 06:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rocky:</font><hr> DO you guys think that a ring game on ESPN might help to draw the kind of ratings that the poker tour gets? Players playing for their own money(or a backers) with a chance to take it all. Do you think maybe this is the direction that billiards needs to take with respect to television?
Rocky
<hr /></blockquote>

I'm not sure they would. I just watched the DCC ring games on DVD and in some respects they weren't as interesting as a normal match. No strategy just go out and fire, pure offense.
There is also another critical difference from poker. The betting is prescribed, no decision making, no betting, no bluffing. A ring game would be like a poker game where everybody puts a real big ante in before the cards were dealt and there was no subsequent betting, whoever got the best hand wins. No nearly as entertaining.

Ross
08-05-2004, 12:49 PM
As Catscradle pointed out there are some things in poker that can't be reproduced in pool. However, I think the ring game, if produced and promoted correctly could be enormously successful.

First, the prize money needs to be much higher to generate interest. For example, advertising the "$100,000 Winner-Take-All Pool Shootout" would get a lot of viewers simply because of the drama the money provides. Better yet, but don't know how it could be done, would be the "Half-Million Dollar Shootout" or dare we dream - "The Million Dollar Pool Duel." People will watch anything if there is enough money involved.

Second, they need to work in personal story segments like they do in the World Series of Poker. Viewers have to know enough about some of the players to have favorites. They should also interview the players as they are eliminated.

Third, they will unfortunately need to edit the show somewhat for dramatic purposes like they do in the WSP. For example, they could start the show at the point that one player is a game or two away from being eliminated.

Fourth they need strong announcers who will appeal to pool fans and the general audience alike.

I think it could be a format that would be very successful. And if it made inroads to the general public, the advertising dollars would follow.

woody_968
08-05-2004, 01:12 PM
The fact that it is all offence could be a good thing. Many casual viewers wont apprectiate a good safty, but everybody loves it when the pull off a hard shot.

I know alot of people hate jump cues, but I liked seeing them be able to try to keep a run going with a jump cue.

I like the idea of the ring game on TV, of course I like anything on TV about pool

GStrong
08-05-2004, 10:18 PM
What exactly is a ring game?

Rod
08-05-2004, 11:06 PM
A free for all. LOL It's usually a game of 9 or ten ball with three or more players. There are no safeties, you go for everything. Winner collects from everyone.